Ryan Zimmerman returns, and the rest of Saturday's lineups

Good morning from Nationals Park. I need to get down to clubhouse, but wanted to give you the Nationals lineup right away. Ryan Zimmerman has returned to the starting lineup.

Washington Nationals (5-5)

5. Casey McGehee 3B
6. Jim Edmonds CF
7. Corey Hart RF
8. George Kottaras C
9. Randy Wolf P

By Zach Berman  |  April 17, 2010; 9:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington Nationals rally past Milwaukee Brewers, 5-3
Next: Why Ryan Zimmerman is back in the lineup

Comments

Looks like the best lineup that we've got....

Posted by: charley42 | April 17, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I think our best line up is Guzman at short, Kennedy at 2B, and Harris in RF. But this is the line up I want to see. Certainly it is time to see if Desmond and Maxwell have what it takes. Wouldn't it be funny if Hernandez turned out to be our best pitcher this year?

Posted by: BunRabs | April 17, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Great line-up. I also love how we are using our bench. makes me happy to have a decent team to cheer for.

Posted by: UnkleWheez | April 17, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

This is the lineup I want to see too. I think Desmond may be MLB caliber. I fear Maxwell may not be an MLB hitter, but I hope he is.

Posted by: NatsFly | April 17, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Thanks. This lineup pleases me as well, but not necessarily more than yesterday's, because we already know yesterday's lineup won the game!

+1/2sT.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 17, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Good point, +1/2. I thought we were dunn when the big guy got ejected but we weren't! This team is starting to remind me of that scrappy first year bunch, although I hope for a better second half. In the meantime, I am very pleasantly surprised to be at .500, even if it is only 10 games. I also like the spirit they are showing: GM getting ejected (he was right to complain), the dugout emptying when a pitcher charged out batter, Zimm getting in face of obnoxious Phillie fan, Dunn showing some emotion (although I thought the ump got the call right). No doormats are these guys.

Posted by: NatsFly | April 17, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I do like the passion, but I'm not sure it's great for the team when one of your best hitters gets ejected in the first inning..

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 17, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The Nats won without Dunn, so in retrospective no harm done by the ejection. We can exhale. The big guy just wants some respect for his knowledge of the strike zone; that's a big part of his game. I'm glad he showed some passion about it

Posted by: nats24 | April 17, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

How bad does Maxwell look at the plate? looks overmatched to me which get's me back to the burr i have with Rizzo/Riggleman concerning the release of Elijah Dukes not to beat a nat with a sledgehammer but how can this team continue to trot out the Harris/Tavares tandem and think that it keep's this team competitive the whole season,look i love Willie but he's no Elijah Dukes now that being said Dukes had a way's to go but cutting him before spring training was over was more than unfair, it seems to me the least they could have done was let Elijah play himself out of a job,i don't mind saying i lost a little respect for both Rizzo and Riggleman with that move. I'd like to get some input from my fellow poster's.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 17, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@dargregmag: I understand your beef with Riggs and Rizz, but don't you find it the least bit interesting that Dukes has yet to find another team?
BTW, how's the grandchild?

Posted by: TimDz | April 17, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@TimDz - that's what I was thinking about Dukes. If he's so good, why hasn't another team in desperate need of help (say one about 50 miles north of DC...) picked him up?

There are no contradictions in life. When you think have a contradiction, you have to examine your premises, because one of them is wrong.

Premise 1: All major league teams want to win, and will try to get players who will help them win.

Premise 2: There's at least one team out there that thinks Elijah Dukes can help them win.

One of those premises has to be wrong. Which one do you think it is?

Posted by: gilbertbp | April 17, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised to see Livo batting 8th, and Maxwell in the 9 spot! That way when Livo gets on, Maxwell can bunt him over!

In the current configuration, batting after Maxwell, Livo will likely just be batting with one more out. I do hope Maxwell steps it up this go-around, and "takes" the RF spot (to use Rig's term) but I don't see it...

Posted by: mo_dc | April 17, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

of course, premise #1 assumes people act rationally in their own best interests in such situations, which we know from long experience isn't always the case.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 17, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

What about Premise 3: No one player is bigger than the team.

I think this is what got Dukes bounced from DC and what is keeping other teams away from him. I think chemistry is big in all sports, but moreso in baseball, given the sheer length of the season. I can't help but think of Dukes as baseball's version of Allen Iverson...great talent, probable head case, definate headACHE and not good for team chemistry. A.I. had the benefit of shorter seasons, but ultimately appeared to wear out his welcome.
Dukes just had a shorter shelf life...

How's THAT for not answering a direct question Gilbert? :)

Posted by: TimDz | April 17, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

If anyone wants to see more evidence on just how much of a complete moron (not that anyone needs more evidence to come to this conclusion) Peter Angelos is, read this:

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 17, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, did anybody else just see a troll come in here looking for sympathy??

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 17, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

nevermind, there's another New Post anyway.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 17, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

The other thing about Dukes is that none of us know the whole story.

I think there's a sub-plot that Rizzo/Riggleman have kept quiet about. A Dukes trade was unsuccessful and they could simply not unload him.

When Jimbo signed him, there was a chance it might have been a good move. But, as it turned out, the "potential up-side" was only potential. And Duke still had the anti-social side.

Wish the man well. But I think we are better off.

Posted by: nattydread1 | April 17, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

TimDz: Thanks for asking; Michah is doing great my wife says i'm spoiling him,now back to baseball Dukes may have played himself off the the team with his attitude but why then is Rizzo and Riggleman silent on that point, the question as to why Dukes hasn't caught on with another team,Rizzo basically hold's Dukes future in his hands because team's are going to call Rizzo for a reference and that may be why Elijah hasn't caught on, i'll admit Duke's past wasn't pretty but from what i understand he was solid while he was here.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 17, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse