Today's lineup

Ryan Zimmerman will return to the Nationals starting lineup for the first time since April 21, back in his customary spots -- batting third and playing third. Zimmerman will make just his his 11th start of the season.

Nationals
1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Adam Kennedy, 2B
3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Adam Dunn, 1B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Ivan Rodriguez, C
7. Roger Bernadina, RF
8. Ian Desmond, SS
9. Scott Olsen, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 30, 2010; 3:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals shuffle starters
Next: The improvement of Ian Desmond's defense

Comments

Q: why is Ian in the 8-hole?

Posted by: ADCWonk | April 30, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

ADC: I'd guess because Bernadina hits LH - breaks up the string of RH hitters.

Posted by: Bethesdangit1 | April 30, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

So nice to see Zimm back in the 3 hole instead of Guz!

Posted by: slewis1 | April 30, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Me likey.

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | April 30, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Zimm!!!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 30, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I liked the combo of Nyjer and Ian in the 1-2 spots too! Very dynamic, and disrupting to the other team!

Posted by: 1of9000 | April 30, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Go get 'em, Track Nats!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 30, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

How long will it take Riggles to understand that Desmond belongs in the two hole?

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 30, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Kennedy hitting 2nd. He's a LH hitter who doesn't strike out much (only 7, Guz and Desmond have 14) and takes a lot of pitches, giving Nyjer an opportunity to run. I know he's only hitting .214 now, but that will go up and he's tied for 2nd on the team with 10 RBIs despite fewer PA's than most of the other starters/rotating starters.

Posted by: slewis1 | April 30, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Altho' I'd prefer a different batting order, it's great to see this lineup. This is the best Nats lineup, at the plate but especially on the field.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | April 30, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

without question the lineup I want to see day in and day out but like 1st not quite the order

Posted by: bford1kb | April 30, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Zimm-inny doo-dah, Zimm-inny day, my oh my what a wonderful day. Go get'em Nats!

Posted by: slopitchtom | April 30, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Kennedy is an experienced bat...I have no problem with him hitting second over desmond. For example, from one of the games I have seen, morgan reaches first and desmond pops the first pitch up, which not only gets him out right away but does not allow morgan to try to steal. Let the kid watch and learn. He's still playing every day.

Posted by: nami322 | April 30, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, not quite every day but mostly every day.

Posted by: nami322 | April 30, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The only really sad thing about this series is we can no longer taunt that arrogant, illiterate pinhead who ran BRIGHT ORANGE SEATS. The blog is gone and the domain name's for sale.

Posted by: MikeH0714 | April 30, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I would once like to see this lineup:

1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Ian Desmond, SS
3. Roger Bernadina, RF
4. Adam Dunn, 1B
5. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
6. Josh Willingham, LF
7. Ivan Rodriguez, C
8. Adam Kennedy, 2B
9. SP

Green light Morgan, Desi and Roger.
Talk about a track meet. Do this against a knuckle ball pitcher or a rookie pitcher it would be game over.

Posted by: hansenjo | April 30, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Riggs is doin a splendid job of setting a lineup. No probalem. GO NATS!!

Posted by: ripndot | April 30, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree with ripndot. Riggleman's line-ups have seemed to make the most of what he has to work with. Sit back and enjoy the game!

Posted by: longhorn64 | April 30, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I have social obligations tonight, but I am so tivoing this game! Really fun lineup, and I hope we break this fish jinx.

Posted by: NatsFly | April 30, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I've got no problems with the lineup - Lots of LH hitters, not stacked, and Kennedy in the 2-slot will take pitches, or can hit-n-run behind Morgan.

It will still come down to pitching, imo - Can Olsen channel his inner Livo, and can the Nationals get to Nolasco?

Posted by: BinM | April 30, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

get in there Olsen. The best part? Pudge is behind the plate. Things always seem to go better when he's back there.

Posted by: Brue | April 30, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse