Today's lineups

5. Jayson Werth, RF
6. Raul Ibanez, LF
7. Shane Victorino, CF
8. Carlos Ruiz, C
9. Cole Hamels, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 12, 2010; 11:14 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A deeper examination of Strasburg's debut
Next: An update on Jesus Flores

Comments

I was hoping Bernadina would get a start today. Any chance of cashing out of the Willy Taveras business while ahead is welcomed.

Posted by: souldrummer | April 12, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Hamels is as ineffective in start #2 as he was in start #1

Posted by: markfd | April 12, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

A .500 record. A two-game winning streak. Tied for third place in the division. Is it still early?

Posted by: BobLHead | April 12, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

souldrummer:
No way Bernadina was going to start against Hamels (a LHSP). He's a 5th OF / Defensive replacement against PHI, unless Harris starts at 3B against Kendrick.

Posted by: BinM | April 12, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Over Under time:

Marquis lasting 5 innings?
Marquis K total 2
The pen gives up 5 runs?
Desi making 1 error?

My guess
under
under
over
under(I prey)

I wish Riggs would put Desi in the number two hole and geeen lite both morgan and Desi to run whenever they feel like it. If not I do like him in the six hole.

Posted by: hansenjo | April 12, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Coming out of this series at 4-5 should be the goal.

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | April 12, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

No, coming out of this series 6-3 should be the goal. Just don't shoot anybody if they don't make it.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

My guess
under
under
over
under(I prey)
??
Predatory scorekeeping?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I think without Zim out there, it could be an ugly game. I'm just praying for one win this series.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

It won't be lack of Zim, it'll probably be Marquis keeping it close, or not. (Just for fun, I'll put his O/U on runs allowed at 5.5, innings at 4.5, Ks 1.5, walks 5.5, and the bullpen's runs allowed 3.5. Desmond's errors 1.5, and I'll take the unders.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

You guys are a hopeful bunch. They play the games for a reason...

Posted by: MBUSA | April 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I think that if the Nats come home from Philly 4-5, that it was a successful (.500) roadtrip. I think a lot of us could have envisioned 1-8, and there would be people who would have guessed worse than that.

Posted by: wigi | April 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

We hope for a reason.
We pray for a reason, Jesus Colome's buttocks, and his family.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wigi | April 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

No, it will be the lack of Zimm.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 12, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

But back to Livo for a minute? I think they said they're bringing Olsen up for Thursday, and Lannan goes Friday vs. Milw. So when's Livan's next start? Sunday would be Marquis's turn, no?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think if they win this game today it will have been a successful road trip. I can't help but hope that the Nats spoil the Phils Opening Day the way the Phils spoiled ours. Any other wins are icing.

Posted by: beardo1 | April 12, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Why? He wasn't hitting much anyway, and other guys are. One or two plays at third won't save a game that Marquis can't stay in.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Why would the Nats start Olsen on Thursday vs Philly? Lannan should be pitching that day on normal rest, then Livo would pitch Friday vs Milwaukee (normal rest), Marquis would pitch Saturday (normal rest) and Olsen wouldn't be needed until Sunday.

Posted by: estuartj | April 12, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Or are you saying you expect a good six innings out of Marquis?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

estuartj, they don't want to subject Lannan to the Phillies, who own him, twice in two weeks, or two of his first three starts.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Wait. I thought we didn't mention anatomical parts after a win? I'm so confused.

---

We hope for a reason.
We pray for a reason, Jesus Colome's buttocks, and his family.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:43 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 12, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Over Under time:

Marquis lasting 5 innings? - Under
Marquis K total 2 - over
The pen gives up 5 runs? - under
Desi making 1 error? - under

Posted by: estuartj | April 12, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I hate to brag, but I called it that the Nats would end up 3-3 after the weekend! I love Livo!!!

Posted by: twinbrook | April 12, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

From your pixels to Shoeless Joe Jackson's ears...
****************

Posted by: beardo1 | April 12, 2010 12:56 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Me, too, tb (on the Livo Lovin'). Good call on the record.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 12, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Over Under time:

Marquis lasting 5 innings? - Over
Marquis K total 2 - Over
The pen gives up 5 runs? - Over
Desi making 1 error? - Push

Posted by: BinM | April 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, [stuff] ...
*****************

---
We hope for a reason.
We pray for a reason, Jesus Colome's buttocks, and his family.
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 12:43 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 12, 2010 12:59 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Is it too late to rent buses for a trek to Philly? Who's with me?

Posted by: BobLHead | April 12, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

BobL, this note just came in:

"All your bus are belong to us."
--Philly

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 12, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I am going to revert back to the optimism I felt when we first signed Jason Marquis. One bad start is not enough for me to join the doubters who considered him a bad signing. I think Marquis will put in a good performance today, win or lose. I hope he gets the grounders he needs, and that Desmond doesn't make any more than one error. Hopefully he'll have a clean game.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 12, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's just win today to pay them back to taking the opener here and let the rest of the series play itself out.

As for bumping Lannan from Thursday, his career numbers against the Phils are atrocious. It's a good call.

Posted by: comish4lif | April 12, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Bus loads of Nats fans wouldn't ruin the Phillies' home opener. Now, bus loads of Yankee fans wearing "The 27th is the sweetest" t-shirts might rile a few folks. Or at least, it does in my dream.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | April 12, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The entire bullpen should be available today (even Clippard for 1-2 batters, if needed), given the off day tomarrow. IF Marquis can go 5+IP, I'd revise my bullpen O/U on runs allowed to under 5.

Posted by: BinM | April 12, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, Opening Day in the City of Brotherly Love... The foul stench of Yeungling is in the air, along with the sounds of spousal abuse.

Let's steal one today.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 12, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the Phils lineup, they run out pretty much the same thing 140+ times a year with everyone but Ruiz making (or will make) $6 million plus I think. Frustrating for Nats fans to enter most games at an decided disadvantage...

Posted by: goexpos2 | April 12, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Because we need all the offense we can get. Hamels is licking his chops with Zimm out. Just look at the scores of the games we are winning. Basically we are going to need 5-6 runs to win a game no matter who goes. With zimm out of the lineup the chances of putting up that many runs decreases and the chances for more errors increases.
Until we got some SP reinforcements and drop the worst parts of the bullpen this teams wins depends solely on their offense, and not committing errors.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 12, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hamels is hittable, as are the 3-5 starters for PHI (Kendrick, Happ & Moyer) - It's all about taking pitches and stringing hits together to score runs.

The Phillies do it to the Nationals; Why can't it play both ways?

Posted by: BinM | April 12, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Stu, I'm sure that seeing Willy T. and Guz in the 2-3 slots strikes fear in the heart of Cole Hamels. Or Cole Porter at least. OK, maybe Cole Slaw?

Posted by: BobLHead | April 12, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Hamels is not that good, why let the guy off the hook like that.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 12, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Hamels is not that good, why let the guy off the hook like that.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 12, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know how long it took last season for one of our relievers to notch their 3rd save??

Posted by: slewis1 | April 12, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I am one who, after the first series, would never have expected 3-3. So props to the team. And Livo looked great. Would love to steal one today. Go Nats!

Posted by: NatsFly | April 12, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

If you asked me on Saturday whether the Nats had a better chance of winning Sunday vs Santana or today vs Hamels, I would have said today vs Hamels. No reason the Nats can't win the series. Think those positive thoughts, folks.

Posted by: slopitchtom | April 12, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Joel Hanrahan - May 9th

By the way, that was the same game that Flores got hurt and Kearns had that phenomenal outfield assist. I thought the Nats were playing some decent ball at that point (won 6 of 7), but the Flores injury really knocked the wind out of a decent road trip.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 12, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The above post was in response to slewis1 re: pitcher's third save of last season.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 12, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

That is one ugly lineup. I don't understand why Riggs puts two on-base black holes in the first three batters.

Posted by: Offense-offensive | April 12, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Offense-offensive | April 12, 2010 2:38 PM

Same lineup as yesterday, when those 8 batters roughed up one of the best pitchers of his generation. Actually, it's significantly better - with Pudge in for Nieves! Riggs really believes in working his lineup around a righty or lefty matchup - seems to be going alright for the moment.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 12, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Kev29. Gotta love those Pirates for taking Hanrahan!

Posted by: slewis1 | April 12, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

To separate them from the black holes in the 7-9 slots.
--------------------