Today's lineups

Rainy day here at Nationals. The forecast calls for potential rain tonight, but it seems like the skies should clear shortly after first pitch. But who knows. Red-hot Ivan Rodriguez gets a day to rest, as does Ian Desmond.

Nationals

5. Brad Hawpe, RF
6. Melvin Mora, 3B
7. Chris Ianetta, C
8. Clint Barmes, 2B
9. Jason Hammel, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 21, 2010; 3:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg live-blog: Morning edition
Next: Mike Rizzo on Stephen Strasburg's latest

Comments

They'll never admit it, but I don't think Lannan is comfortable with Pudge calling his games. He could use every 5th day off anyway so if Lannan needs Nieves calling the game to pitch the way he did last game, so be it.

Posted by: curz | April 21, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Nieves catching Lannan again. I guess Will is his private catcher. Seemed like Pudge and Lannan were not on the same page anyway.

Posted by: slopitchtom | April 21, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Guzman's arm is going to make Riggleman look like a fool at some point. He is showing way too much favoritism there.

Posted by: periculum | April 21, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Favoritism, really? I think it's just no manager can resist a hot hitter.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | April 21, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Second that, Patty.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 21, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Nats are 6-4 when Guz starts, he hasn't made an error and his OBP is up to a respectable .375

Posted by: Kev29 | April 21, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

QUIT KNOCKING THE GOOZ. THREE HITS LAST NIGHT, WILL PLAY ANYWHERE AND NOT COMPLAIN, HE'S BEEN IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERY BIG INNING THIS TEAM HAS HAD. PLUS, DEFENSIVELY HE'S BEEN FINE. I AGREE DESMOND IS THE SS OF THE FUTURE, AND MAYBE NOW TOO, BUT GETTING GOOZIE'S BAT INTO THIS ANEMIC LINEUP IS IMPERATIVE. OVER/UNDER DUNN STRIKEOUTS: 2-1/2

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | April 21, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I like Riggs and think he's done a nice job so far. But why is he afraid to move Dunn outta the clean-up hole. Guys get moved around all the time. I know Dunn is considered a special player and all but guys hittin that far below their weight, well maybe they should be moved down to give some other guys protection etc and not kill rallys.

Posted by: dovelevine | April 21, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

SUNSHINE GOT YOUR MESSAGE STOP WILL QUIT PICKING ON GUZMAN STOP SO GLAD THE POST STARTED ACCEPTING TELEGRAPHS STOP

Posted by: Section506 | April 21, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

(Post of the day, 506.)

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 21, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I call SHENANIGANS!

The only reason Guz has an OBP of .375, is because he's batting .362. It still doesn't address the underlying facts that he swings at anything and refuses to work the count. That said, I like in the lineup - I do think he fits better in the 6 hole and not at 1 or 2.

Posted by: comish4lif | April 21, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

With last night wrapping up the third pass through the rotation, I thought I'd pass along some numbers I found interesting for the pitching staff...
- Starting staff -
Week 1 (4/5-4/9): 0-2, 2 no decisions; Threw 16.0 of 35.0 possible innings (45.7%), with a 2.500WHIP, a 9.56ERA & no Quality starts.
Week 2 (4/10/4/15): 2-1, two no decisions; Threw 23.3 of 44.0 possible innings (53%), with a 1.800WHIP & 7.72ERA; 1 Quality start.
Week 3 (4/16-4/20): 2-2, 1 no decision; 26.0 of 45.0IP (57.8%), a 1.5000WHIP, a 5.88ERA, and 3 Quality starts.

- Bullpen -
Week 1: 17 Appearances, 19.0 of 35.0 innings; 1-1W-L, 1 of 2 saves converted, 1.8947WHIP, 6.63ERA.
Week 2: 18 Appearances, 20.7 of 44.0 innings, 1-1W-L, 3 holds, 3 of 3 saves, 1.5481WHIP, 4.35ERA.
Week 3: 13 Appearances, 19.0 of 45.0 innings, 1-0W-L, 1 hold, 2 of 2 saves, 1.3684WHIP, 4.26ERA.

Three weeks, each one better than the previous; That's including the Marquis & Olsen meltdowns this week. I guess I'm still seeing the glass has half full, but I'm not opposed to ordering another if the server comes around.

Posted by: BinM | April 21, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

For the love of Jackie Robinson can we get off Guzman's back,he's hitting .350 plus and he 's playing hard he's hustling down the baseline and like Sunshine said he's been in the middle of every big inning and we're what? 6-4 when he starts so there and quit with all the OBP and all that krap that's whats ruining baseball!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 21, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse