Video: Strasburg's fourth start

Nationals pitching phenom Stephen Strasburg recorded his most impressive outing of the season on Tuesday in his fourth start for Harrisburg.

By Alexa Steele  |  April 29, 2010; 9:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For starters, the Nationals are on the right track
Next: Drew Storen promoted to Class AAA Syracuse (Updated)

Comments

That's great that he is having such success, but wasn't part of the reason he started in the minors to work on pitching from "the stretch", which he doesn't need to do with no runners on base.

I think the Nats, should make him pitch from the stretch all the time now that he has proved he can handle AA hitting.

Posted by: PNatsFan | April 29, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

How many more days are there to Christmas again? Meaning until we can take the wrapping off our shiny new toy while not letting Georgie steal it from us for an additional year?

Posted by: Section506 | April 29, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Great quality video and some actual analysis and opinion - very welcome!

I'm betting Sunday is his last start in AA and he'll be up to Syracuse for their home stand starting May 6th. He'll get 4 starts (3 at home) and join the Nats on their road trip w/ his first start in San Diego May 28th.

Posted by: estuartj | April 29, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

No, Strasburg will start June 4th for the obvious reason that that is the game for which I have tickets!

Posted by: ehay2k | April 29, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

My buddy who lives near Harrisburg said the local paper is claiming this weekend is his last in Harrisburg and headed to AAA.

Who knows if that is true but wouldn't be surprised as ESTUARTJ is predicting something similar.

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Mitch Williams(mlb network) was on 680thefan here in Atl. this am and in his opinion the Nats should bring up SS right now his contention is that SS can't learn anything that he doesn't already know and that everyone he is facing or will face(AAA)will be overmatched, so let him pitch in the bigs,for what it's worth i tend to agree this kid no doubt is a twenty game winner waiting to happen if they let him pitch,(7 ing.min.!) that's right none of that five inning bull let the kid throw.Strasburg will be fine if he is not treated like a tenderfoot, injuries occur when a pitcher for whatever reason is treated like a twelve year old,obviously you don't allow him to throw his arm out but this kid's got God given talent so please, for the love of Walter Johnson let him use it.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 29, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

No way Strasburg makes his first big league start on the road. Absolutely no way.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

dargramps: I believe that conventional wisdom is that SS is ready from a pitching standpoint. If that was the sole consideration, he'd probably would have made the trip to DC out of spring training.
From a business standpoint, he ain't coming up here one second before the team has delayed his super two status.

Posted by: TimDz | April 29, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It's got to be a huge positive that Strasburg will be joining a team that is functioning well (that is, not in utter free fall like last season) so he doesn't have to be the savior. Sure, he's Jesus--but that doesn't mean he should have to shoulder those kinds of expectations.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | April 29, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Mitch Williams(mlb network) was on 680thefan here in Atl. this am and in his opinion the Nats should bring up SS right now his contention is that SS can't learn anything that he doesn't already know and that everyone he is facing or will face(AAA)will be overmatched, so let him pitch in the bigs"

Mr. Williams would be well advised to use Wikipedia to read about the "Super Two" rule, which would apply to Mr. Strasburg should he come up right now.

Posted by: Section506 | April 29, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Ack, Kirkegaard! No use of "shoulder" in any post about Strasburg, I just almost choked on my lunch.

Let's also not let him "elbow" someone out of the way.

Posted by: Section506 | April 29, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Great video, but no mention of him driving in the only run of the game! The kid can do it all! That siad, the Nationals are right to wait until June so that they can have him an extra year and save a lot of money that can be used for other players later on!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | April 29, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

And as a fan, I don't want him up here one second before he has delayed super 2. I could watch him for half a dozen starts this May, or I can watch him for a whole extra year later. I will take the whole year. I fear that these owners will not spend to get a big market team, ever, and that he will head north at the end of his club control years. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, though. I certainly have been pleasantly surprised this year.

I certainly hope he starts here, not on the road! Why should we sell out somebody else's stadium? My first tickets in June are the 8th, though, so I expect I will be buying extras for the day he starts. And will I buy extras? Did the cavemen invent fire? Am I tired of that commercial?

Posted by: NatsFly | April 29, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Actually, San Diego would be a great place for him to start. Big park, weak opposing offense, and San Diego IS a "home" game for the guy from SDSU. A lower-pressure atmosphere might be a good idea. However, I don't like what that might do to the Nats' bullpen if he's limited to five innings.

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | April 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

natsfly, I agree. Hate to say it but as a business decision he stays until we get the extra year. Unfair but that's the way it is.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | April 29, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Timdz: Thanks for the update on the super 2 status in my excitement over all the plaudits i listened to this am you reminded me of the SS contract situation.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 29, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The Nats have already gained Strasburg for an extra year. Super Two status is just about arbitration money, not free agency. So if they brought up Strasburg tomorrow (or Sunday.. notice there's no probable pitcher announced yet for Sunday?), he'd still be under Nats control for 6 more years.

Posted by: cassander | April 29, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, San Diego would be a great place for him to start. Big park, weak opposing offense, and San Diego IS a "home" game for the guy from SDSU. A lower-pressure atmosphere might be a good idea."

If he needs a lower-pressure atmosphere for his first start, then he's not ready for the big leagues. Repeat: Strasburg's first big league start will be at Nationals Park, nowhere else. And if it's early June and they stick to his current five day schedule, the only possible day for it is Sunday, June 6th against the Reds. Another rain delay could push it into the June 8-10 Pirates series, though, so I wouldn't call it a lock just yet.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, Storen's up in Syracuse now.....

Posted by: Barney001 | April 29, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Time for AAA ball! He is now officially wasting time.

Posted by: Edgemoor | April 29, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

There's a misconception in many of these comments that I hope Adam or Dave or Alexa can lay to rest. As I understand it, he has already delayed his arrival enough (20 days in the minors) to avoid losing him to free agency after 2015. The Super-2 issue is whether he gets arbitration in 2012 or 2013. Even for that, if they send him back to the minors to sit on the bench after he reaches his 150 total innings limit, they pause his arbitration clock. (In other words, it doesn't matter if he spends May or September in the minors for determining Super-2 status.).

So I say, let him start in Harrisburg on Sunday (especially since I have tickets for that game already I approve of that), and then BRING HIM UP! Don't wait until another starter blows up and we hit a losing patch.

Posted by: Section222 | April 29, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And one other important point -- if he has a 150 inning limit, then I want as many of those as possible be for the Nats rather than the Chiefs. BRING HIM UP!

FJB was saying this over a week ago:

Posted by: Section222 | April 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse