What today's start means for Scott Olsen

When the Nationals decided Wednesday to keep Scott Olsen in their oganization, it came as little relief to the left-hander. He had other concerns.

"All I've been worrying about is making the team," Olsen said yesterday. "I wasn't worried about making the Triple A team. I'm worried about making the big league team. Unless it was the kind of news then it wasn't really relevant. I'm still in the mix. That's all you can ask for. I want to make the decision harder for them."

Olsen will have his chance today against the Red Sox, who are starting the game with their full lineup. The competition for the fifth starter spot to begin the season is down to him and Garrett Mock, making today his final chance to leave an impression.

"It's important," Olsen said. "It's the biggest start of spring training."

After coming off the shoulder surgery that cut short his 2009 season, Olsen has progressed each start. It wasn't almost smooth; two starts ago, he allowed 12 hits in 4 1/3 innings against the Detroit Tigers. Olsen said he's going to take his typical approach to the mound, which may be the most important thing he could do.

"You can't put more pressure on yourself than you're capable of handling," pitching coach Steve McCatty said. "If you do the best you can in that moment, and a decision is made that's not in your favor, that's the way it is. You got to keep going. You can't feel sorry for yourself. But, I'm sure he's probably putting some pressure on himself. You put pressure on yourself every time you start, and I'm sure he feels this is even more important. You deal with that on as you go."

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 2, 2010; 12:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineup
Next: The Nationals will decide on their roster tomorrow

Comments

Any radio today?

Posted by: jfromPG | April 2, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think so, j.

Good luck, Scott. I think you may need it today.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

No TV, no radio of course the Orioles are on :/

Posted by: periculum | April 2, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Guzman's going crazy with the Team Ball Concept - he just drew a walk!!!

Posted by: Bazz | April 2, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

No TV, no radio of course the Orioles are on :/

Posted by: periculum | April 2, 2010 1:25 PM

I would complain too, but the Red Sox aren't even on (radio or TV) in Boston today! Wow, that's shocking.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

After coming off the shoulder surgery that cut short his 2010, Olsen has progressed each start.
___________________________________________

Cut short his 2010???

Are you Nostrodamas or did I sleep through another year?

Posted by: TimDz | April 2, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Guzman's going crazy with the Team Ball Concept - he just drew a walk!!!
-------------------------

It's the end of the world as we know it,
it's the end of the world as we know it,
and I FEEL FINE!

Posted by: swang30 | April 2, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Is there anybody left in Ft. Myers to cover this game? Both MLB At Bat on the iPhone and the MLB.com box-score site have been stuck for the past 40 minutes. David Ortiz seems to have had one of the longest at-bats in the history of spring-training baseball.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | April 2, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Ft. Myers. Always enjoyed seeing Bosox & Twins' games there, pre-Nats. Nice town, City of Palms is nice ballpark, and wind levels will be lower than in Viera, where the Wright Bros. should have gone to test first plane. Who knows, maybe they'll have better luck with the scoreboard & speed gun there too!

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | April 2, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Excellent outing by Olsen. 1 ER, 5 hits, 1 walk, 7 SO in 5 innings. MacDougal in now. Score tied at 1-1.

Posted by: ramgut | April 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

ummm...see newer post for score update (thank you, Mr. MacDougal)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The Marlins were right about MacDougal.

Posted by: ramgut | April 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse