Willie Harris has MRI, may play tomorrow

Nationals utility man Willie Harris underwent an MRI on his sore right knee, but the test revealed no serious damage. Harris is not likely to play tomorrow in Chicago, but he did not rule it out.

"I don't know, let's see," Harris said. "I don't know how it's going to feel tomorrow. We treated it all day today. It should feel better tomorrow. We'll see."

Harris's knee has hurt for a couple weeks, and Harris became unable to play on it after his diving catch Saturday in extra innings. "I can barely bend my knee, man," Harris said. Still, his test results ensured Harris will miss only days, not longer.

"The MRI didn't show much but fluid," Harris said. "Nothing is torn, nothing is ruptured. That's good news."

By Adam Kilgore  |  April 25, 2010; 5:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 19 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Dodgers
Next: Nyjer Morgan is getting caught up

Comments

Great news. Hang in there Willie! Hey, this pennant race is fun!

Posted by: Natstoyou | April 25, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Brave talk from Willie; He's a gamer, but if the fluid buildup doesn't allow him to bend his knee, he'll either have to have it drained, or be gimpy for a week to let his body absorb it.
Been there, done that, and I've never been anywhere near the level that Harris is as an athlete; The body just takes time to heal unless you have a doctor intervene.

Posted by: BinM | April 25, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

re-posting...

Was iffy about going to the game today, what with the weather forecast. But at 11 am made the go decision and what a RIGHT decision!! Was on the RF line, saw that great catch in the 9th right in front of me. Saw my man Clip and my man Nyjer. Missed Willeeeeeeeeeee and now I know why. Get well soon, man.

Smallish crowd, pretty laid back, but saw quite a few Strasburg jerseys.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 25, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Love Willie but I wonder of some of the fluid on his knee seeped into his head Friday. Can't afford the mental errors that he and Morgan had this weekend; we're not good enough to withstand them.

Go Nats! Send the Dodgers back to LA with their tails between their legs.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | April 25, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

So cool to look at the standings and not see Washington last.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 25, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Okay, we have a problem.

We have a lights-out bullpen. If we get to Clippard with a lead, he'll hold it, and Capps will finish it. Almost twenty games into the season and they haven't missed yet.

So what's the problem? Well, I've been hearing, "When Storen comes up, he'll be the closer..."

Will he? Are we really going to take the job away from Capps?

Posted by: gilbertbp | April 25, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, like that's a problem...! Where was this "problem" last year??

Seriously, I don't think Storen would be the designated closer in his first season in the majors. He'll be a set up guy for the non-Clip days, and then we'll have him for next year. Or for a trade.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | April 25, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see the problem of too many arms and not enough innings.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | April 25, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Tough to get it done in April missing 2 key position players in Zim and Will-He-Harris.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | April 25, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Great win! (I will admit that I was pacing around in front of the tv in the top of the 9th.) Maybe they need to wash the Elvis wig on occasion so it's not too itchy? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 25, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

It's official, Marlins lost to the Rockies. We're now tied for 2nd in NL East, 0.5 games behind wildcard leader San Francisco.

Posted by: swang30 | April 25, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

SCNatsFan: In case you missed it Yunel Escobar had a worst brain fart then Harris when Escobar (on 3rd at the time) failed to tag up on a deep fly ball hit in the gap and was easily doubled off,it cost the Braves a run and the game as the Braves lost 3-1, at least we were well ahead(5-1)when Harris made his gaffe, and in to be sure Harris is one of the more savvy ballplayers on this club.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 25, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Super Willie will drain the fluid off his knee himself, relieve the sub-Saharan drought with the excess water, and also end the Arab-Israeli tensions, all in time to be in the starting lineup at Wrigley tomorrow night.

A half-game out of the wild card! All hands on deck. Way to go, guys!

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | April 25, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris's knee isn't swollen, the world just seems small by comparison.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 25, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm worried about the Elvis wig too. (There's always something to be worried about, right?) Clubhouse guy Mike Wallace has to wash it out after every win. And what about its being too small for Livo's head? Can the Lerners not spring for different-sized Elvis wigs? One-size-fits-all is not the way to go!! Lerners are cheap!!!

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | April 25, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert, I'm not sure where you've been hearing Storen will be the closer this year, but that's not the plan.
If things continue to go well for the bullpen, he'll be one of several bridges to Capps.
If Capps falters, Storen would not even be the next option. Rizzo and Riggleman are conservative, and they'll want to try and keep Storen in roles where he can succeed, learn and build confidence.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 25, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag, missed it. Sounds like too many guys were paying attention to the NFL draft this weekend and the possible fantasy implications.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | April 25, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Gilbertbp: If "Mad" Capps falters and that's a big if i think the Clip job would be next in line but i don't see that happening and i heard that we outbid the Cubs for "Mad"Capps this past offseason who knew? the Lerners got it right.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 25, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to dismiss Pudge's impact so far. If he keeps it up and the Nats win, say, 75 games, it'll rank with what he did to improve the Tigers after that near-record bad season, and then he helped them to the series. And look how he helped the Marlins get there. He's a gamer and a sure HOFer. Sure glad he's here.

Posted by: nats24 | April 25, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay, we have a problem.

********************
Will he? Are we really going to take the job away from Capps?
Posted by: gilbertbp | April 25, 2010 6:50 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Sunderland, as usual, is way ahead of me.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Clippard, Bruney, Storen and Capps is a decent bullpen. Keep one of those long relievers in there, like Batista.

I have a feeling two or more of the following will also be in the bullpen:

Zimmermann, Stammen, Olsen.

Posted by: CapitolWill | April 25, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

News flash: He's Ba-ack!
Elwood The Rally Possum Found:

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

After 8 for 8, it'll take a long leash for Capps to lose the closer job. It's just as important to get guys out in the 6th, 7th and 8th. Clippard can't do it every day, so Storen can be his counterpart. Works for me!

Posted by: nats24 | April 26, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag
****************************

We did not out-bid the Cubs for Capps.
We offered Capps the closer role, others, including the Cubs did not. Capps wanted to close (it's really important to career earnings), so he picked the Nats.

Sometimes, being a 100 loss team hurts you in free-agency.
Sometimes it helps.
This time, it helped.

In Chicago, Capps would have been a set up guy.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 26, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Sec3: "Not sure where you've been hearing that. Storen is often referred to as the "closer of the future," not of 2010. At most, he'll be a really nice 7th/8th inning setup guy, complementing Clippard. Remember, he's still going to be a rookie, pitching for the first time in his life to veteran major league hitters. S'OK, he's young."
***************************************
That makes sense to me, and was what I was thinking was the best thing to do when I put up the original post.

As to where I'd heard that Storen was going to be the closer when he came up - well, I coulda swored it was here, somewheres. But I've been hallucinating a lot lately. Last night, for example, I dreamt that the Nats had opened the season 10-9 after taking four out of six from the Rockies and Dodgers.

Posted by: gilbertbp | April 26, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

What a difference a year makes. I just hope the fans of 05 return to watch this team, they're really fun to support.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gilbertbp

Yeah, and some old guy in a Nat's uniform is leading MLB in hitting, another old guy has an ERA of 0.75, and Josh Willingham has become a regular on web-gems.
Keep dreaming.

Posted by: Sunderland | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Classic. :-)

---

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | April 25, 2010 9:44 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 26, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Return, heck. I never left. :-)

---

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 26, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Awesome, possum, as my husband has been known to say. (Also, bald Elvis sez: Dude. Where'd my wig go?)

---

News flash: He's Ba-ack!
Elwood The Rally Possum Found:
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | April 25, 2010 11:21 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 26, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Willie would like to apologize for the whole global warming thing. He needed to create a rather large heating pad to put on his knee, and, well, one thing led to another...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse