Bog: June 4 tickets moving briskly

On his D.C. Sports Bog, Dan Steinberg reports that tickets to the June 4 game between the Nationals and the Reds at Nationals Park are going fast.

I don't know if there's anything special happening at Nationals Park on June 4, but it appears to be a tough ticket.
Like, the Infield Gallery section, the $24 seats? You can't even get two tickets together on June 4. And yet on June 5 -- same opponent, same stadium, same weekend -- you can still get at least 12 tickets together. That's weird, right?

Read the entire post here.

And speaking of the reason for the ticket frenzy, check out why Tony Gwynn thinks Stephen Strasburg is great (via syracuse.com).

By Alexa Steele  |  May 24, 2010; 12:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ivan Rodriguez placed on 15-day disabled list (Updated)
Next: Strasburg live-blog: Return to Syracuse

Comments

I got my tickets last Monday and had no trouble getting two together. I am EXCITED! But let's concentrate on this nasty road trip first! Like Bos, I believe!

Posted by: mjwies11 | May 24, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I got my tickets for all 3 games of the Reds series a month ago by exchanging tickets for some games that I cannot go to, so whenever Strasburg debuts during that series I will be there!

Posted by: markfd | May 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I was devastated that I will be out of town on 6/4, and likely to miss his first start. But now that it looks like they're going to sell that game out even before they make the announcement, you can almost guarantee he won't pitch then.

Will the Nats set the record for the most no-shows in history on Friday, 6/4? Will the Lerner's even care?

Posted by: bryc3 | May 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Got our tickets as soon as they were on sale since it's out 15th anniversary... If the ducks continue to line up a new kid up from the minors would be a good bonus... :)

Posted by: OldDude | May 24, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, me too. Gonna be seeing a lot of the Reds. I already had the 6th in my ticket plan, and I picked up extras for the 4th and 5th to cover all the bases. And I even snagged Clubs Seats for FRI the 4th which I still think is the SS debut game.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | May 24, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I usually buy a $10 ticket, but I paid up for a seat close to the dugout on June 5. Boo hoo, it looks like I guessed wrong.

By my count, Harang is lined up for June 4. Leake is lined up for June 5. Wouldn't that be an interesting match-up?

Posted by: zadok1 | May 24, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

One more thing.

Someone mentioned that they can sell more tickets by moving the start back. Not true, because the game is not sold out yet. And the fact, that starting June 4th is the only way they get two starts on that home stand with a sellout the first night and a very stong gate (30,000 plus) the second on a weekday night.

Posted by: tcostant | May 24, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. More reason for the 4th. Two starts on the home stand including a nice bump for the weak-drawing Pirates.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | May 24, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Not to distract too much from SS, but see the link about what the possible next #1 draft choice has been up to. Wow.

Posted by: marathoner | May 24, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

BTW right now Livo is set up for the 4th so he would have to be pushed back or moved up, not that that would be a problem. Wonder which he would prefer?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 24, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

>>Tony Gwynn thinks Stephen Strasburg is great (via syracuse.com).

He’ll tell you with a rubbernecker’s delight about the day Strasburg shattered an aluminum bat with his heater.

Now that's pretty impressive. Never saw that before.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 24, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The Nats would have to have a really great (and valid) reason not to pitch Strasburg on the 4th. After everything that they've done to alienate the fan base in the past, not starting Stras on a date that's sold out so that they could try to sell out another date in the homestand would be stunningly stupid and shortsighted, even for these guys. Besides, if he pitches on the 4th he'll get another start during the homestand anyway.

Posted by: mojo6 | May 24, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCNative1975 | May 24, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, alienating the fan base is right. Even if you buy the fact that he supposedly has some business smarts, I never cease to be amazed at how tone deaf Kasten is when it comes to basic public relations (it’s a long list and I think everyone here knows the items). If SS is able to start on the 4th from a readiness stand point and they don’t do it -- well – “stunningly stupid” as mojo says is exactly what it will be.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | May 24, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

OK... engaging in unfounded speculative guessing:

He starts on June 4 and pitches every fifth game until the AS break (6/4,10,16,21,27,7/2,8). He starts on July 16 and pitches every fifth game until the end (7/16,21,27,8/1,6,12,18,23,28,9/3,8,14,20,25, 10/1). That's 22 starts with 13 at home. They could reduce his starts to 19 and maximize his home dates to 15 if they give him a few extra days of rest in August and September.

Posted by: db423 | May 24, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Man, that's got to be a folk tale, right?

Can a guy who's never pitched in the majors have a folklore?

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 24, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Now that 10,000 tickets for June 4th has been sold to speculators, what would happen if Rizzo announced the date of June 5th?

I guess there would be a lot of pi$$ed off speculators!!!!!!!

I think the early bird gets the worm and he will pitch on June 4th as that lines up some good dates for the schedule.

Posted by: dmacman88 | May 24, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Funny, if that doofus group sales lady in the Nats front office is calling up all her good friends in the 215 area code and inviting All Those Wonderful Phillies Fans to be a part of history, too. I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | May 24, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

DCnative – you’re exactly right. While I personally think he will pitch on 6/4, there has been no word from the club yet. Which leads to the obvious – when will they make the announcement?

I’m also wondering if Sheinen will be the one to break it? He’s been on the Strasburg beat for months now and you have to think he may be one of the first to know. Among the media anyway.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | May 24, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny that so many are moaning about the date he is going to start. I've been to 10 games this year, none of them started by Strasburg. It's going to be comical (actually sad) when many who bought tickets for the wrong date (whatever it is) start railing at the team. Actually, It's rather pathetic.

Posted by: JDB1 | May 24, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@db423, he won't make 22 MLB starts. He's on a hard innings limit (and rightly so)-- around 150, including AA and AAA, based on 120% of what he threw last year, IIRC--so he is unlikely to pitch after about Labor Day, regardless.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The FO never said he was pitching on the fourth--they went well out of their way to not say that. If you bought tickets to the "wrong" game, you were guessing, based on media reports. Good luck to you, I hope you win, but don't blame Kasten if you guessed wrong.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, if he doesnt start that game, you can probably get a good ticket for $5.

Posted by: SA-Town | May 24, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

And if you're ticked off at having to watch the other 24 guys contend (yes, I said it) for a change, well, enjoy Sweet Caroline.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 24, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sec3mysofa, I've only missed a couple games this year and have been a season ticket holder since 2005. So, I'll see him pitch whenever it happens. My point is that it'll be a PR nightmare if fans you're trying to attract as something more than casual think you've manipulated ticket sales at their expense. After everything that's happened in its history, this team doesn't need that headache too. Sure, guessing the game is a crapshoot. But given everything that's been written about the 4th, not pitching him that night would be foolish, in my opinion. And, I can't stand Sweet Caroline.

Posted by: mojo6 | May 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Can a guy who's never pitched in the majors have a folklore?
Posted by: JohninMpls | May 24, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse
++++++++++

Dalkowski!

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 24, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Sec3:

I know, I know. I can dream though, huh? Do you think they'll shut him down, pitch him once a week? What if they are in wild card contention on 9/1? I know that's a high class problem, but geez. If they have say a three game lead in the wild card, and they shut him down, that'll be hard to take (yes, I am dreaming).

If he has 120 innings left when he shows up and they throw him 6 or 7 a start, that's about 19 starts. If he skips a road trip or two sprinkled throughout the rest of the season, that could keep him going until the end of the year.

#4

Posted by: db423 | May 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

It'll be more like 100 innings, so probably hope for 16-17 starts, if we assume he goes about 6 per (on average). And yes, they'll shut him down.

Posted by: Section220 | May 24, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

>>As far as I know, the Nats haven't come anywhere close to announcing a date for Strasburg's first start. This whole June 4 talk has been pure speculation/educated guessing by fans and media. Posted by: DCNative1975

Yea but that speculation has come from the mouths of some pretty reliable heavyweights--Boz, Shenin, ESPN etc. And the Nats know it's out there. So for them to let it go unanswered if they know it is incorrect would be really irresponsible.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 24, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"While I personally think he will pitch on 6/4, there has been no word from the club yet. Which leads to the obvious – when will they make the announcement?"

Not until after he's made his last AAA start - which won't be tonight. Sometime tomorrow, they'll announce when his next AAA start will be, but they won't say it's the last one - even though it probably will be. If the targeted game is already pretty much sold out, they may wait until the last possible minute to make the announcement - especially since in order to bring him up they'll need to cut someone to make room. No sense starting the speculation on that cut until it happens. You don't want a dead man walking on your team if you're trying to win tonight's game.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 24, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"You don't want a dead man walking on your team if you're trying to win tonight's game."

Nor do you want a designee if Atilano suddenly throws a no-hitter, or Livon's arm is melted by space aliens.

Posted by: Section506 | May 24, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Curse you, arm-melting space aliens!

Posted by: Section220 | May 24, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Someone in the organization told me the Nationals marketing department has not been involved in picking Strasburg's first game. Hopefully this dampens some of the conspiracies floating around.

Posted by: EnricoPolatzo | May 24, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

The way he's looked so far, maybe Strasburg is the space alien.

Posted by: justmike | May 24, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

They need to focus on this road trip and Adam Dunn had better start stepping up with I-Rod on the DL it is paramount that Dunn hit in the clutch no more standing there like he's waiting for a bus with the bat on his shoulders, they need he and Zimm to take charge 5-5 would be great on this road trip anything above.500 would be fantastic.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 24, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

All your starting pitcher are belong to us. Bwahahaha!

In other news, funny how Boz and Sheinin are "reliable heavyweights" when speculating about a possible SS debut date, but at other times are said to be possessed of dubious knowledge (at least, according some folks around these parts). Just saying. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 24, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Also, calling for rain tomorrow and Thursday in SFO, so could throw rotation off for a Strasburg 6/4 start. Remember, his debut also has to make sense for the rest of the rotation, not just SS.

Posted by: thelonghaul | May 24, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Enrico P. is the best umpire I've ever seen. that said, i sure could use the off day, following this team is nothing less than (freaking stressful) i mean always interesting to the last out. Just like the teams fighting spirit. GO NATS!!!

Posted by: jpt1002 | May 24, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"Curse you, arm-melting space aliens!"

I was trying to think of a believable Livo injury.

Posted by: Section506 | May 24, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I concur, jpt, though his anthem singing does leave something to be desired. :-)

In other news, y'all need to vote in the MASN XTRA poll so the inside-the-parker won't be the highest rated moment of the Battle of the Beltway (yuck):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 24, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-the date JEEz-uss ascends to the mount notwithstanding...we ahve a tough west coast swing here. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the las good one we had was when F. Robbie got in Scosias' grill-remember '05, folks? So we are due a good trip!And our inconsistent or lack of run scoring has the chance to be less of a negative, given SF and SD's weak offenses.
That said, I also mentioned that I'd prefer to have Hammer at clutch time than Paul "Adam" Dunnyan.Not knocking the big man, but now would be a good time to start hitting in those "high leverage" situations(though he has had some important rbi's as of late...just not with the long ball). Guess I'm "seconding" dargreg(again).....Ooops! Time to catch a sermon in Syracuse! Now...Go Chiefs!...and
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | May 24, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and 506 (nice ta see ya!)those alien space arms, or fingers, seem to have invaded ne, too!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | May 24, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

"Curse you, arm-melting space aliens!"

LOL...good stuff.