Chien-Ming Wang targeted for July debut

The Nationals are planning on rehabbing starting pitcher Chien-Ming Wang making his season debut around July 1, a team official said. The Nationals originally anticipated Wang pitching by June.

Wang, currently on the 60-day disabled list, did not experience any kind of significant setback. Arm strength has just been slightly behind schedule returning to his surgically repaired right shoulder, a delay the Nationals do not expect to hinder Wang beyond the typical complications from recovering from surgery.

Wang last pitched July 4 of last season, when he ended an injury-marred season at 1-6 with a .964 ERA. Before injuries besieged Wang midway through 2008, he had a career record of 54-20 with a 3.79 ERA.

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 13, 2010; 4:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals Minor League Report
Next: Today's lineup

Comments

OK, I'll be that guy:

Pretty incredible that he only went 1-6 with that amazing .964 ERA.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | May 13, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that they choose to make this announcement the day after Marquis goes down. Does that mean they expect him to be starting minor league rehab work July 1 or so or is that when they expect him to be finished with rehab work?

Posted by: souldrummer | May 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

What are the options for the team if he has recovered and is ready to play in games, but they don't feel comfortable with him in the bigs?

Outside of a rehab stint, can he be placed in the minors long-term?

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 13, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

My question is who goes down on 6/2 to make room for Stras? Atilano or Stammen? Lannan to the DL? After that who makes room for Wang in July?

I don't see anyway, even without surgery Marquis making it back into the rotation. Can we cut him at the end of the year or are we stuck? I'd rather throw Matt Chico out there at this point.

What is the time frame for Detwiler?

Posted by: MBUSA | May 13, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Few things in life are worse than a weak Wang.

Posted by: wahoo2x | May 13, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Unless he is traded Marquis has 2 years guaranteed.

Posted by: periculum | May 13, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

On 6/2 room will be made for Drew Storen ... should he prove worthy during his stint with syracuse.

Strasburg likely follows on June 8th.

Posted by: periculum | May 13, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@MBUSA
On Stammen vs. Atilano. You're assuming a lot to assume that Atilano is still going to be a solid rotation option in another 3 weeks. He's kind of gutted through his last couple of starts and he was a bases loaded hit from being yanked early against the Mets in his last start. Stammen's sporting a high ERA as well.

Personally, I think that we move Stammen to the bullpen and have him take Batista's spot as a more credible long man/spot starter. He's got ground ball stuff and you wonder if he'd be a little bit more lively coming out of the pen.

Posted by: souldrummer | May 13, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The question is if Wang is Marquis or Capps. If he's heathy and throwing well there would be a place on any MLB roster for him; if he isn't, this isn't last years Nats, he'll be on his way.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | May 13, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

>>Does that mean they expect him to be starting minor league rehab work July 1 or so or is that when they expect him to be finished with rehab work?<<

I was wondering the same thing. Just giving the July 1 date isn't particularly helpful.

Posted by: p_chuck | May 13, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

SOULDRUMMER: Not a guarantee that Stammen will fit that role,comming in from the pen after starting is a bit different and it's not a given that Batista's history even if Stammen is demoted from the rotation i agree that when he is "on" grounders happen,i think that's adjustment Stammen has to make to be effective.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 13, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I think it means Wang will hopefully pitch for the Nats in July. I think they gave him a 2 million dollar salary because they will still have his arb rights next year. If Wang can come back close to what he was with the Yankees he would be a top line starter next year. I would think that they will be careful with him while he gets his "feel" back. The man is a worm killer and the payoff to the 2 million dollar gamble is next years rotation of Strasburg, Wang, and the 3 best out of Olsen, Lannan, Zimmerman, Marquis and maybe Detwiler. Pitching as a strength and with depth now that's what I'm talking about.

Posted by: sdrappa | May 13, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

The rotation after the All Star break will be Hernandez, Strasburg, Wang, Olsen, Lannan/Stammen. Not necessarily in that order. Detwiler will make an appearance late in the year. If Marquis is healthy they'll work him in as well. Atilano is a competitor but they'll send him back to Syracuse or Harrisburg. If they're still in contention I could also see a possible trade for a Cliff Lee or Roy Oswalt that might involve some/any of these guys, except Strasburg. Zimmermann won't be back until next year I wouldn't think. Jus writing this makes you realize how deep the Nats' pitching is, especially if Wang, Marquis, Detwiler, and Zimmermann all return to form after rehab.

Posted by: AsstGM | May 13, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Where were all of these comments in preseason? I don't have time to mark names,places etc, but all preseason all I ever read was Riggo was horrible, our pitching a joke and RF oh please enough with the RF stuff, there's 7 other position players out there and you would think after reading the posts through April that without Willie Mays ( I know he played center it's a matter of comparison) was needed in right for these guys to even SNIFF the major leagues. Hearing all of those people we were not even close to AAA level. Now silence. Are the same people posting as back then? I'm sure some of you know the answer. Let me in, have the naysayers simply disappeared or are the masquerading as FANS now? GO NATS. I BELIEVE.

Posted by: mfowler1 | May 13, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

@mfowler1 - What comments in the preseason? Comments like, "gosh, our pitching looks like it's going to be awesome. Our team ERA is slipping below 10 runs per nine innings?"

If your idea of being a FAN is to just have blind optimism, and if that's what works for you, then that's fine.

Bu there are lots of real FANS who look at things more pragmatically, who have invested a lot (and I mean a lot) of money and time and emotion into this team, who look at poor drafting and slim free agent activity and slim international activity and an overwhelming frugality on the part of ownership and reports from Forbes that the Nats are one of the most profitable franchises in baseball,and get rightfully frustrated.

Enjoy the team your way, I'll enjoy the team my way.
Don't insult me by calling me a naysayer or someone who masquerades as a fan.

Posted by: Sunderland | May 13, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

i've been wondering about trade possibilities for oswalt also.

Posted by: longterm | May 14, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Few things in life are worse than a weak Wang.
Posted by: wahoo2x
----------------------
They got pills for that nowadays.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 14, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Some thought s on the mfowler/sunderland talk: I partially agree with both. it does become aggravating when all the talk is denigrating (see howjensen) instead of just having concerns in a rational way. Of course you shouldn't blindly say Go Nats, regardless of the moves with personnel. But you should be able to have seen that they brought in a real front office full of savvy baseball people (Davey Johnson et al). I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt in matters of judgement until they prove otherwise. That's just me.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 14, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shanks1

well said, and amen.

Posted by: fpcsteve | May 14, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Few things in life are worse than a weak Wang.
Posted by: wahoo2x

wahoo2x's comment raises a serious point. It now appears Wang's rehab is about a month behind schedule. This is going totally throw off the rate at which we use "Wang" puns this year. I mean, we don't want to use up a lot of material before the guy even gets on the mound. And we don't want to miss any opportunities if this guy never makes it back.

I guess it's just tougher to know when to break out your Wang then I thought...

Posted by: baltova1 | May 14, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Oswalt has given the Houston Astros permission to start the process to trade him to a contender for prospects. According to MLB Network talking heads, most think Oswalt can be had for three prospects (2 arms and an infielder).

Rizzo please speed dial the Astros front office. Chris Marrero, Josh Smoker and take your pick from AA might do the trick!

Imagine Oswalt, Levo, SS, Wang, Olsen going the distance in say late July and August?

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 14, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse