Derek Norris hit on head, taken to hospital

Class A Potomac catcher Derek Norris was taken to the hospital Friday after being hit on the head by a pitch, according to a release from Potomac. Norris lay motionless on the field in Salem, Va. for nearly 10 minutes after he was hit. By the end of the night, Norris was conscious and moving his extremeties at the hospital.

Norris, 21, is widely regarded the best positon player prospect in the Nationals' farm system and the second-best overall behind Stephen Strasburg. He missed the early portion of this season with soreness in his hand, a complication of surgery to remove his hamate bone.

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 22, 2010; 12:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott Olsen leaves game with shoulder injury
Next: Miguel Batista can take the abuse

Comments

My thoughts and prayers are with Norris and his family.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 22, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, one can only hope and pray that Derek Norris is OK.

I was at last night's game (am 0-5 at Nats' games this year, which may affect my opinions). This club has such a small margin for error: if Scottie's shoulder doesn't tighten up (or whatever is going on there), maybe Willie Harris's shot is the big blow, we win 3-2, and talk of the playoffs continues. But as it is we've lost 7 of 8, and as much as we want to believe that things are different this year, we don't really know what's going to happen. Nunof1 can cite as many partial and misleading statistics as he wants, but we all know Adam Dunn hasn't been driving in important, late-inning runs as yet, and Nyjer Morgan, the sparkplug of last year's offensive burst, stll hasn't gotten into gear (let's hope last night's PH is a start). And it turns out that the O's, bottom dwellers in the AL East and much scorned by bloggers here, give scholarships too: at least for one night their closer-for-now Simon looked pretty good.

But if no one has done so yet props to Batista for a very nice job of keeping us in the game (something you really appreciate if you're at the ballpark).

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | May 22, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Scary story, particularly the "lay motionless" thing, that's terrifying. Best wishes, Derek.

Posted by: Section220 | May 22, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

"By the end of the night, Norris was conscious and moving his extremeties at the hospital."

Zuckerman wrote (presumably from the same press release info) that Norris was conscious and moving his extremities at the field, and THEN taken to the hospital, which is somewhat less alarming, I think.
Can we get a clarification, there? Was he conscious and moving at the park?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 22, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

ToSec3mysofa:

I was at the park last night. For about 20-minutes everyone there was a Nationals fan.
I heard the ball hit off his helmet and he dropped flat to ground. It was very scary because I could that his legs were not moving and did not move for several minutes. Finally you could see him move his feet a little. EMT's were on the scene, they strapped him to a back board and applied a neck brace. I could see the EMT's testing him for feeling in his legs and whether he could move his feet (which he did). He was transported by ambulance and the ambulance did not run lights and sirens as it pulled out on the main road (which I took as a positive sign).

I'm a Salem native and Red Sox fan, but like everyone else there that night my family was pulling for Derrick Norris.

Hope these details help.