Game 30 discussion thread: Nats vs. Marlins

The Nationals made it official this morning by calling up LHP Matt Chico from Class AA Harrisburg to start against Florida at Nationals Park.

This will be Chico's first big league start since May 21, 2008, and he'll be starting in place of regular No. 1 John Lannan, who is working through swellling and discomfort in his left elbow.

"I don't have a history with Matt that some other people do in the organization," Manager Jim Riggleman said. "I guess a couple years ago, 31 starts he got here, which is pretty impressive. That's kind of what John Lannan has done the last couple of years. It's not that easy to go out and do that. He must not have missed any starts, pitched very well.

"Really we just want to draw on that experience he's had here in the big leagues. A very tough ballclub, a very good right-handed hitting ballclub that he's going to face here, so it's going to be a tough challenge, but we felt like he was the guy most ready to do it and just like to see him go out there and keep us in the ballgame."

By Gene Wang  |  May 8, 2010; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineups
Next: Adam Dunn: 'We would have lost this game last year'

Comments

Hammer!!

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 8, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

And SuperWillie!

Posted by: BinM | May 8, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

And it's Hammer time again!

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

And Dunn takes one for the team

Come on Hammer, let's get a few more!

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

What is up with Zimm's underhanded throwing style?! Is this something he has recently implemented? I think it sucks. He threw away that out during Olsen's gem on Thursday night - it sailed over Gonzalez's head. And now, he throws that diving looper to Dunn and an admittedly mediocre 1B had trouble fielding it. Is he injured and just not telling anyone?

Posted by: combedge | May 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Come on Capps, get this guy and let's go home!

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 8, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Good job by Clippard to bounce back after the Home Run. And good work by Willingham to hit that clutch homer.

Posted by: amorris525 | May 8, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Whew, we almost gave away that one, right on SeƱor Capps, 12 for 12!!!

Nice win!

Posted by: HotNats | May 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I thought I head the crowd going,"Let's go Capps" in the bottom of the eighth after Matt started heating up in the bullpen, although it could have been "Let's go Nats." Was pretty sure I heard some of the crowd going "Let's go Capps" in the ninth inning.
Love that "flypaper outfield" of Willie, Nyjer and Roger in the top of the ninth.

Posted by: bertbkatz | May 8, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone wanted to see it, here's Matt Chico's wild pitch in April 2007:

Note who he was supposed to be pitching to... Mr. Josh Willingham

Posted by: Section506 | May 8, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Bang! Zoom!

Keep going Nats! You are amassing believers, and more will come the longer you have a winning record.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 8, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Does the WashingtonPost.com have anyone working on the weekends? The team just won the game, but you've got the loss from last night still plastered over the front page. Geeez.

Nice to hear "Let's go Nats!" from the crowd. Felt like an honest to goodness home game.

Posted by: ygbrown2001 | May 8, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nice win on my daughters grad day,i'm also wondering about Zimm's throw's,he cost Olsen a victory the other night, he's almost too casual with the throw's as opposed to Desmond who fires bullets to Dunn who's still learning on the job imho,good concentration by the hamma on his game tying homer and did Dunn get lucky or what? i thought the Marlin's lefty had him struck out before he hit him so far so good this month need to close out this homestand with a victory.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 8, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

ygbrown2001 - let's not be so hard on the 'new' WaPo - 3 days this week print edition has had 4-column photo and 2 stories/columns on our hometown baseball team and hardly a mention of Deadskins. We should hope Nats' play (and fan attention) continue to justify this higher level of coverage.

Posted by: JamesWebster | May 8, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

bertb, it probably was "Let's go Capps." At one point there was a Bog item about the team putting that up on the scoreboard when he was on the mound (when the Caps were still in it, I believe).

Nice catch today. Let's land another Fish tomorrow and call it a series!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 8, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Was Zimmmerman hot-doggin' it in the ninth? How else to explain the terrible throw to first?

All in all, the Nats have to tighten up their infield defensive play in the late innings. Desmond, Guzman and Kennedy are steady. The rest, including the pitchers, not so.

Posted by: JohnRDC | May 8, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he hotdogs (that's a verb, right?), but last year, when he was sailing his throws to first, they blamed his footwork, and with correction, the problem seemed to mostly go away.
I didn't see the x-mo of that throw, but it seemed to me at the time he was caz-zhjing (how DO you spell that?? being too casual, careless) the throw.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 8, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

That, and sidearm throws can tend to sail if you get the seams wrong, which, on a hurried throw, can happen.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 8, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope Livan helps me with my motherday present tomorrow...a W!

Posted by: chillsonic | May 8, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Conjugating the verb:

I hotdog.
You hotdog.
S/he hotdogs.
We hotdog.
You hotdog.
They hotdog.

But I didn't think he was, either. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 8, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I have watched Zim for a few hundred innings. He does not hot dog. Ever. Just not in his nature. He does, from time to time, have inexplicable throwing errors, generally on the less difficult plays. At the outset of last season that happened regularly to him, as though if he had too much time to think he muffed it, usually by overthrowing. Like he has the last 2 games. I attended last night's game and saw that bad throw and thought "oh no, that whatever-it-was-last-year is back" He fixed it last year and will this year as well. To err is baseball.

Posted by: NatsFly | May 8, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Nonchalanting sounds better than casualing, imo. ;-)

chillsonic, hope you have a nice Mother's Day. Listen to your (fake) mother, Livo!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 8, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Well, there's a consensus that something's seemingly amiss with Zimm's throwing. He needs to fix it ASAP, because the NATS seem destined to be in cliff hangers this season, and "nochalanting" is going to hurt.

I.e., no room for error.

Posted by: JohnRDC | May 8, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@JohnRDC:
This week, Zim has made a few bad throws. It's something he seems to fall into for a brief period in each season, but snaps out of.

Posted by: bertbkatz | May 8, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call it consensus... last time I checked, Zimm has 2 errors to his credit this year... after making 17... his fielding percentage in 2010 is nearly identical to where it was in 2009... and he still gets to more balls and makes more plays then pretty much any other 3b in baseball...

On a side note, that double play he started last night with the runner from 1st on the move was insane...

Does he make errors and throw the ball away from time to time? Of course, everyone does that is a human being... but, if people are seriously complaining about Zimmerman's defense, they are digging really, really deep to find things to complain about...

Posted by: Ghost7 | May 8, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

What a great game! Beautiful day at the park. I found free parking on the street and the Nats won. A few responses to comments:

Some were chanting "Let's go Nats" & some were saying "Let's go Capps" My son & I were in the latter category.

The wind was a big factor. Maybe a reason for the errant Z throw.

The folks at the game were really engaged & supportive. We high-fived our neighbors at the end of the game. Going out from the last game I attended, someone said, "We have a TEAM".

The dogs were great. I didn't know about this promotion but I definitely would bring Tonya if they do it again. During one of the rallies, the big screen showed a collie barking in support of the Nats.

The ushers and other staff are increasingly competent and well-trained. Several greeted my son Matthew by name.

Posted by: luxetveritas | May 8, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I love how these guys are always playing hard.Zimmerman at times could be a little more chalant with those throws.Perhaps straighten up and come more overhand with them.

Posted by: seanmg | May 8, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse