Game 34 discussion thread: Nationals at Mets

Cristian Guzman saw his starting short stop position taken by Ian Desmond during spring training. But it has not dampened what Manager Jim Riggleman saw in the Washington Nationals veteran.

Guzman has worked hard with coaches to improve himself at second base. And when the Nationals sought additional options in the outfield, Guzman shagged fly balls and prepared for a role as a part-time outfielder, which would also mean more at-bats.

Entering Wednesday's game against the New York Mets at Citi Field, Guzman is riding a six-game hitting streak in which he is batting .500 (9 for 18) with 2 doubles and 1 RBI.

"He's just really showing his character," Riggleman said of Guzman's willingness to move around the field to help the team. "That's a test of your character: not the good times; your charter is tested in the bad times. He said, 'I'll help you in any way you need.' To me, it's been a highlight of the season, the way he's reacted."

Feel free to use the comment section below as a discussion thread. I'll provide any worthwhile updates from Citi Field.

By Mark Viera  |  May 12, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Cristian Guzman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Marquis to get surgery on elbow Friday
Next: Scott Olsen not upset after early hook

Comments

3 K's ... looks like a long afternoon for Riggleman.

Posted by: periculum | May 12, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Let's forget last night and move on to win this game and take the series.

GO NATS!

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice way to start the 2nd, Dunner, Guzzie & Willie! Let's not strand 'em, guys.

Just caught the end of Debbi Taylor interviewing JM on MASN. He sounded like the surgery was a certainty.

Posted by: matrixman | May 12, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy, Craig!

Posted by: Section220 | May 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Sort of sad we needed to Stammen to drive those runs in, but I'll take it.

Posted by: amorris525 | May 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least our pitcher can hit. Way to help yourself, Stammena!

Posted by: matrixman | May 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Was just about to comment on a wasted opportunity, but way to go Stammen!

Posted by: LColors | May 12, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Stammatime! :-D

Posted by: Kev29 | May 12, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Stammen for salvaging that opportunity and picking up Bernadina and Nieves. How can a speed guy like Bernadina, a. not know how to bunt, and b. have more k's than hits? Speed is your friend--use it!

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, way to give those runs right back.

Posted by: zaph | May 12, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice the contradiction in the name of the Mets CF?

First Name - Angel
A celestial attendant of god

Last Name - Pagan
An irreligious or hedonistic person

Posted by: Sunderland | May 12, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

And it's a whole new ballgame, as they say....

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCinNYC | May 12, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Sunderland, yes I noticed that too. Maybe his parents were trying to ward off the evil eye.

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I just can't figure Bernadina out. But, I'm glad for the homer!

Posted by: jlegg | May 12, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I guess Bernadina told me what I can do with my speed comments!

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Riggleman is going to have to move Stammen up in the order.

Posted by: kjhealey | May 12, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Bernadina goes yard and Stammen gets his 3rd rbi. Crazy

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 12, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I think we've found our new RF--Stammen on his off days!

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Stammen is 2 for 2 and driving in some runs. Let's get some more production from the rest of the team! Go Nats

Posted by: jlegg | May 12, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Love these guys. Bernadina strikes out with the bases juiced when a simple single would plate 2 and then with no one on cracks a bomb. Unreal. BTW Riggs should start using Stammin as a PH. Seriously.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 12, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

First Name - Angel
A celestial attendant of god

Last Name - Pagan
An irreligious or hedonistic person

Posted by: Sunderland | May 12, 2010 2:00 PM

In English, yes. But en espanol his name means..

First Name - Angel
A celestial attendant of god

Last Name - Pagan
to make good (financially)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 12, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Stammen = Rick Ankiel + better pitcher

Posted by: g3jr | May 12, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Son of a....

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Roger Bernadina is the king of timing.

Posted by: tailwagger | May 12, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

At the office today Braves game on in cust.lounge(me gagging) what happened we had em loaded with HR Roger at the plate fly out to Francouer(meek,liner,soft)what?

Posted by: dargregmag | May 12, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one tired of Morgan's bonehead plays.

Posted by: sjt1455 | May 12, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Morgan's having too many brain cramps.
Nice play Guzzie.

Posted by: upperdeck4 | May 12, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

>We come off a terrible loss and try to right the ship with our weakest starter and possibly our weakest lineup. I like Riggs and he has made a lot of smart moves this season, but there is no reason to have Hammer and Des off the same day as Pudge.

Posted by: DCinNYC

Day game after a night game. The rules for lineups are totally different. Plus it's 20 games in 20 days. I thought the most they could play in a row was 17 per the players union agreement. The other guys get paid too. Unwritten baseball rules. Get with it!!

Posted by: Brue | May 12, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

what did NM do? Can't tell on Game Tracker.

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering about that double off Morgan.

Darn, Stammen was looking OK (pitch count wise) coming into the 5th.

Let's hope we get out of this inning with a tie.

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

pls don't tell that 2009 is now back

Posted by: CBinDC1 | May 12, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

You really hope Stammen can get out of this quickly so he can come back out for the 6th. Currently at 93 pitches...

I was surprised they let Pelfrey hit after he'd thrown 100. Nice job by the Nats to cool that guy down.

Oh boy. Forget the 6th - just don't Bruney in the go ahead run!

Posted by: nattaboy | May 12, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCinNYC

Pudge gets today off - I get that. I have no problems with either or, but no reason to have both Willingham and Desmond out. (Even though the bottom half has ended up doing the damage today).

Posted by: DCinNYC | May 12, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Roger!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sjt1455 | May 12, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Whew, that's over.

And it's a whole new ballgame.

Who's warming up in the bullpen...anyone?

I'm just following on Gameday.

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Woo! Watching that ball fly on gameday is nerveracking.

Can't complain about Stammen going 5 and allowing 4, since he knocked in 3.

Willingham to PH? Might be too early. Let's see some whacks

Posted by: nattaboy | May 12, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow...Bernadina! Dude can play some D!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 12, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

nice to see the other team leave the bases loaded for a change

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 12, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Why would you pinch hit for a guy that has 2 hits? You don't have to bring him out to pitch the next inning but let him hit. Am I missing something.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 12, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Morgan makes a bad throw to home when he has no chance allowing the hitter to advance to second. He had no chance to throw out the runner, and Zimm and Dunn didn't bother to set up as cutoffs because, according to Charle and Dave, no one thought he would think of throwing home.

Posted by: upperdeck4 | May 12, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Well, I usually don't post during games....and I haven't read any of your posts yet. And yes, this year we are LIGHT years better,,,,,patience,,,,all the caveats, O.K.?
But Dibbs has been right on the money-I'm SICK of looking at slumped shoulders on the mound.WHAT exactly has McCatty brought to this pitching staff? Has Dibbs ever asked the question of the coaches that he poses on air? I'm just steamed.....
And WHEN will we start picking up runners?
We're SO close to being a legit threat....and so close to the debacle of the last 2 years, too. So it's easy to pierce my veneer of enthusiasm.
And much as i love him, Tony Plush needs to start playing a little less like a lounge lizard out there, too......I can see the jokes wearing thin when you continue to make those little mistakes....would Reyes score if Tony throws to 2nd????Ahhhh.....in some ways this is tougher than when we were wretched!
BUT...I'll take it!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | May 12, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Who's warming up in the bullpen...anyone?
I'm just following on Gameday.
Posted by: summerandwinter |
_____

Walker and Burnett

Posted by: upperdeck4 | May 12, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank you upperdeck!

I can just hear Charlie and Dave now....

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps he can make up for it with some lightning on the basepaths...

Well done by Gonzo there seeing 8 pitches to help knock Pelfrey out. Baby steps...

Posted by: nattaboy | May 12, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Just wanna say, I really like listening to Dibbs and Carp. Those 2 guys do a great job.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 12, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Nice catch by Nyger but does anyone get the sense that he is "trying" to make a great play? I like the guy but given his need for attention, I'm starting to wonder whether he's actually trying to do something great, thus his mental gaffs like going after balls he shouldn't and trying to throw home when he shouldn't...

Posted by: Sec317 | May 12, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't pull Stammen, Riggs! There won't be anyone to drive in runs!

Posted by: Section506 | May 12, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Who's warming up now? I assume Burnett is donefor.

Posted by: nattaboy | May 12, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I donno if I was just paying more attention (because he was finally throwing in an important situation), but Walker's stuff has looked darn good his last 2 outings. Stays on the corners, fools batters with that nice tight breaking pitch...

BOOYA!

Posted by: nattaboy | May 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

4-6-3, after not getting the bunt down. Whew.

Posted by: upperdeck4 | May 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Walker is now on the mound. bottom 7th. 2 outs.

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-a thought. While last nights loss was a TEAM WIDE failure, IMHO-I see a lot of bite sent toward s Riggs for pulling Olsen. And while I agree...I think he was hoping to use the lead as an opportunity to let Bruney sorta work w/o a ton of pressure. A way of trying to get him going. For that, he's to be commended-if in fact that's what the idea was. Too bad it was a miserable failure.
And Oh-although I've been a fan of Nieves .....seeing him catch after Pudge makes me realize just how marginal he is....
O.K.!
Lets win this dang game!!
Go Nats!!!!

Posted by: zendo | May 12, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Nieve vs. Nieves

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Bernadina really prefers hitting with the bases empty, but I'll still take his lead-off hit!

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Currently standing up over my desk and fidgeting while watching gameday...

Posted by: nattaboy | May 12, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I just like the fact that I can dance when Nieves comes up to bat in the games he catches.

Ah, bases loaded with 2 outs and Zimm coming up. Come on Ryan. Let's knock some runs in!

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Zimm.

Posted by: upperdeck4 | May 12, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

what upperdeck4 said.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | May 12, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

What SilverSpring8 said.

Posted by: HotNats | May 12, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

And we leave another 3 men on base.

Grrrrr......

Nattaboy, I hear you. My co-workers are beginning to wonder why I am mumbling to myself and pacing around my monitor.

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ryan, I think he needs a day off.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | May 12, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

What is it with Zimm and errors lately?

Does he have the yips?

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman must really hate Clippard.

Posted by: tailwagger | May 12, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I think somebody may have been thinking about their day at the plate.

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Clippard is money when he starts the inning.

Posted by: sjt1455 | May 12, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-how many times have we had the bases loaded and got nada....not just yhis game. Today if not for Stammen.....OK Dunner, smack it out!!!!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | May 12, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Clip!!

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Dunn-Guz-Hammer

I like it!! Let's GO!

Posted by: usmc53 | May 12, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

ROGER "BLEEPIN'" BERNADINA!!!!!

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy, Roger! Wow!

Posted by: Section220 | May 12, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I think we have a right fielder. Bernie goes long long long.

Posted by: mojo6 | May 12, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Yesssss Roger!

Posted by: upperdeck4 | May 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Roger again!!!!!!

Posted by: sjt1455 | May 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina homers!

I don't know whether to kiss him or whoop him upside the head.

No matter. We're up by 2 and life is looking better.

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Bernadina really wants that RF job.

Posted by: CapitolWill | May 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Who's our rightfielder? AHHH! Yes!!

Posted by: tommy11599 | May 12, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

If Capps can Save the game, I believe this is W #7 for Clippard. Wow...

Posted by: g3jr | May 12, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Another home run? Roger that.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | May 12, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Please hold on, please hold on, please hold on.

Go Nats!

Posted by: usmc53 | May 12, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Our heroes at the plate today - Bernadina and Stammen.

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 12, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Poor Roger. Listed among today's "Top Performers" on ESPN MLB score page, but they don't even have a photo for him! Someone in the Nats PR dept should fix that.

Posted by: g3jr | May 12, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

another curly W in the books!!

Posted by: sjt1455 | May 12, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Too early for a bourbon? I say no! Way to dig out a win, boys.

Posted by: Section220 | May 12, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Whew; there's your ballgame. Nice job boys.

Posted by: upperdeck4 | May 12, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

NATS WIN! NATS WIN!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 12, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Yesssssssssssssssssssss......

See y'all again at the next weekday day game.

Until then,

GO NATS!!

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 12, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

After last night and with Pelfrey starting today, that was an impressive victory!

Posted by: slewis1 | May 12, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Holy cow, another W for Clippard.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | May 12, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Bernadina - there is a silver Elvis wig waiting for you!

Posted by: lowcountry | May 12, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Way to fight back after last night!
Roger and Stammen = HUGE

When I looked at our lineup before the game, I thought Nyger, AK, Zimm, Dunn, and Guz were going to have to produce all the offense. Boy was I wrong!

Great great job!

Posted by: usmc53 | May 12, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hoping for Clippard to go 19-1 this year, like Elroy Face!

And let's make Stammen one of our pinch hitters!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | May 12, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

New meaning for Roger, Over and Out.

Awesome Zang Boom win!!!!

Posted by: HotNats | May 12, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-MAN....how can my happiness be so dependent as something so meaningless? Watchin' with my pal Mic the ex copper-he seems to think I got a few "Hail Marys'" to say......
MAN MAN MAN!!!
Go NATS!!!!

Posted by: zendo | May 12, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

What a win!! Bernadina indeed will probably wear Elvis but it is ironic that he won the games for us since I think he stranded the most runners today. I change my turne. Let Bernadina start in RF and Wee Willie PH and start a left on occasion. And you live by Clip and Save and you die by it. We need Storen more than Jesus.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | May 12, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

After what happened last night that's a HUGE WIN!

Posted by: Section505203 | May 12, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Nats' Bullpen's numbers today:
4.0 IP, 2 Hits, 0 BBs, 0 R, 4 Ks. Awesome.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 12, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Please feel free to correct my typos.

Sec 204 Row Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | May 12, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Clippard now leads the league (on his own) in wins. Ha!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 12, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

way to bounce back fellas.

question: did zim look tired or something? he left a lot on base and that late inning error scares me. i'm just following on a gamecast, so i can't see the body language, etc.

Posted by: tombodaddy | May 12, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I have been a critic of Bernadina, but wow did he come up huge today. This game was important today considering what happened last night. If we can get a split out in Colorado, I will consider this road trip will be a success.

Posted by: Tom8 | May 12, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What's the over/under on how many days before Boz uses "Roger, Over and Out" in a column?

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 12, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Another game win and another series win (most important) and sole possession of second place in the NL east. It may be 2005 all over again but I am loving it while it lasts! Let's go Nats!!!!

NatsfaninKC

Posted by: mastroj | May 12, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I think Zimm is the one who needs a day off. Didn't he leave the bases loaded twice today? Also some whacky throws lately.

Nice gritty character building win again today.

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 12, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I had the mrs.tivo the game yeah baby whew take that Derrick that's the owners son who is all of a sudden a baseball fan don't know diddly about the game and had the nerve to tell me this morning "you guy's blew it last night" i gave him the finger(of course his back was turned,LOL)and i just reminded him who was in last place, anyway way to go Roger and might i say this team just took a big step on the road to being a contenda!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 12, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"just took a big step on the road to being a contenda"

Please refrain from any Philadelphia-related allusions.

Posted by: Section506 | May 12, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

how is Capps not on this list?

Posted by: Skinssss21 | May 12, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

...and upon returning to his locker, Bernadina finds a little cup with the instuctions:

Please fill to at least this line.

Posted by: TimDz | May 12, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad it's still 2010

GO NATS

Posted by: CBinDC1 | May 12, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

@Skinssss21: "how is Capps not on this list?"

Because Capps is not a one-man-band. There are plenty of other Nationals who are contributing to their success. The piece you linked to is all about great players who aren't getting any help from the rest of their teams.

You can't really say that about Capps. Plenty of other Nats are helping.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 12, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Haven't read all of the comments, as I've been down with this cold all afternoon. I did manage to watch the game from my couch, though. ;-) Roger wore the Elvis wig well, I thought.

Way to bounce back, Nats!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 12, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Team flight to Denver will be a lot more upbeat, relaxed and enjoyable.

TimDZ - nice one....

...and upon returning to his locker, Bernadina finds a little cup with the instructions:

Please fill to at least this line.

Posted by: TimDz

Posted by: Sunderland | May 12, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

TImdz: LMAO!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 12, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Skins I saw the same article and was looking for Capps too!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | May 12, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice amnesia win, I really like that trait in this bunch. No real hot streaks but the series wins keep piling up, esp. against NL East teams. With Slaten in the bullpen I hope Brunet can get some regular work and establish himself.

Posted by: Natmeister | May 12, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Look out for In-a-gadda-da-Bern-a-din-a-bay-bee

heeeeeeeee haw natswin natswin natswin

Posted by: Brue | May 12, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

OMG HE HIT THE SECOND ONE OVER THE 415 SIGN BAYBEE HE MUST HAVE TAGGED THAT S.O.B. 430 FEET>>

Posted by: Brue | May 12, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse