Game 46 discussion thread: Nationals at Giants

As Wil Nieves makes his first start as the regular catcher tonight, the Nationals expect Ivan Rodriguez to return the first day he is eligible. There's some news on another injured catcher, too: Jesus Flores has been playing in simulated games. He can bat and catch and throw the ball back to the pitcher (he caught Ross Detwiler in one game). But Flores still cannot throw to bases from behind the plate.

In tonight's lineup, Adam Kennedy gets another day off. He's now started five of the past 12 games, a casualty of Cristian Guzman's hot streak.

"I've spoken about it many how important those guys have been to us," Riggleman said. "Their attitudes as both of them weren't getting as much playing time. Right now, I just can't not have Guzman in there somewhere. [Ian] Desmond, I don't want Ian to play two, sit two, play one, sit one. I want to get him in there three out of four days at least. He's our future at shortstop. I want to make sure that when he looks up at the end of the year, unless something interrupted that, he has 500 at-bats.

"Right now, Adam's at-bats is what's taking the hits. And I feel bad about that, because I love having him on the field and I know good things happen when he's out there. Right now, I just can't overlook what Guzman is doing."

So with Guzman at second, Livan Hernandez will oppose Todd Wellemeyer. With Tim Lincecum and a resurgent Barry Zito on tap, the Nationals will want to get to Wellemeyer and his 5.24 ERA. Talk about it right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 25, 2010; 10:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday starter will be Matt Chico or J.D. Martin
Next: Challenges add up for the Nationals

Comments

Guzman's hot bat wins out over Kennedy's range at 2B - sobeit, for now.
+++++++
Bummer - Only 7 pitches seen against Wellemeyer in a 1-2-3 first inning.

Posted by: BinM | May 25, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya, Bin. So much for making him work...

Watching a late night game from San Fran, reminds me of how far we have come from Mike Bacsik on the bump!

Posted by: mo_dc | May 25, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

My oh my, Livo is a treat to watch. Unless you're Aubrey Huff.

Posted by: HotNats | May 25, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I was curious how many peopl are actually up watching this game. C'mon Nyjer.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | May 25, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I love how Livo didn't get rattled after a lead-off double clanged off the wall, by a speedy runner, no less. Young guns -- pay attention!

Posted by: mo_dc | May 25, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I probably won't watch the whole game but can make it through a couple more innings. More men LOB.

Posted by: marathoner | May 25, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Livo is always therapeutic to watch. Yeah, I won't make it the whole game either but something in the background while working on a grad school paper.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | May 25, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Damned west coast late starts - 6:00am comes too soon for my bones to hang in there. Hoping for a good result; I'll see the final in the AM. 'Night all, I'm out.

Posted by: BinM | May 25, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Livo...end the inning.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | May 25, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Livo had been pitching well, but you can't let their pitcher start the rally and then Freddy Sanchez whose batting .200 drive in another pair of runs there.

And the offense is killing us right now, Wellemeyer is a joke, Dibble has it right, we should be tattooing him.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 25, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

What an absolute disgrace to have an a bumb -hitting pitcher 0-2 and two out, and let the roof fall in. Livo's cunning played against him here. A fast ball in -- or ANYWHERE -- on two strikes might have been a better call. Ya think!!!

Posted by: nats24 | May 25, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

And all that happened after he got the first two batters.

Need the bats to wake up now.

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 25, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer has become a deflator for the offense.

Posted by: jtunney1 | May 25, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Why did Rig take Livan out? Does our bullpen need the work? He didn't look that bad, just unlucky.

Our hitters look jet-lagged. I'll look the same tomorrow if I don't go to bed. The game looks hopeless now.

Posted by: JLNash819 | May 25, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Great, if this is how the game with the Nats' best starter against the Giants' weakest goes, it really does not bode well for the rest of the series. Are they all still jet lagged or something?

Posted by: zaph | May 25, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I'll consider going to bed, too, if the offense doesn't make any noise this inning with Zim-Dunn-Hammer due up.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 25, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I have to agree with you jtunney1. Nyjer is the biggest disappointment of the season. I think this sad story is buried beneath all the good news.

Posted by: JLNash819 | May 25, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I still have hope for Nyjer...don't give up yet. I understand the dismay though...but he does have the upside. We need to come up with at least 1 more this inning.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | May 26, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm so frickin' annoyed about Livo throwing a slow hook on 2 strikes to a pitcher who doesn't have a clue.

Where's the high heat out of the strike zone! You've got a pitch or two to waste, so please don't throw a cookie he can get around on, for goodness sake.

I thought Livo was supposed to outguess them, but I guess he thought he was facing the heart of the line-up.

These are the kind of game-changing at-bat that will kill me.

Posted by: nats24 | May 26, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

darn, Desmond smoked that ball twice tonight I got out of my chair thinking he sent it over the fences.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 26, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

As long as he's in there I'll have hope for him too. But he keeps disappointing me.

Beyond the caught stealing, base running mistakes, fielding errors, poor bunting and missed RBI chances, you need a lead off batter to have an OBP of at least .375. Nyjer is .344.

Posted by: JLNash819 | May 26, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else getting choppy reception, or is it just me?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 26, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

It's also choppy for me Juan-John. Although I switched to MASN so I could watch it in HD. Not sure if it is doing it on MASN 2

Posted by: amorris525 | May 26, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

On FIOS choppy too.

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | May 26, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

4-2 after 7.

We're still in it.

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 26, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

DirecTV...not choppy for me. Well here comes Nyjer so let's hope for the best!

Posted by: svxcountry1 | May 26, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Choppy on Comcast.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 26, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey CAskinhead...you live in CA? What part? I'm in Redondo Beach now.

Posted by: g3jr | May 26, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm in LA. DC native son

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 26, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

choppy on DirecTV in downtown DC. We needed to jump on this game with the next two starters...

Posted by: mo_dc | May 26, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Down to the last half...at least we got the heart of the order coming up.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | May 26, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Well hopefully the bats wake up tomorrow. G'night.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | May 26, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Goodnight all. We'll get 'em tomorrow.

It's still early here so I'm going to drown my sorrows with a couple Fat Tire's.

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 26, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope our commentators like Ray Knight have stopped saying, "Don't worry about our bats--this team'll score runs." As presently constituted, this team will NOT score runs. Forty-six games should be a big enough sample size to establish that. And I wish that annoying homer Bob Carpenter would stop chortling about how the punchless Giants can't score runs. OK, they're third from the bottom in the NL in runs scored. Where are we on that list, O Great Sage of Tulsa?

Part of this venting of course is prompted by our inept performance last night against the great Todd Wellemeyer. I don't mean to say it's all Nyjer's fault, but the fact is we did not become even a reasonably good hitting team last year until we acquired him: he was the secret ingredient that sparked our improved play after the wretched 26-61 start. And now he's looking more like the 2007 (correct?)Nook Logan than the 2009 Nyjer Morgan. Yes, our pitching will keep us in games but watching our hitters trying to "manufacture" runs is agonizing. And what happened to the "track meet" Nats of the first weeks of the season? But that's another topic.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | May 26, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

I am similarly perplexed by the portrayal of the Nats as a team that has no trouble scoring runs.

Accounts of last night's game focus on the 4 runs Hernandez gave up in one inning, but what about the runs the offense failed to score through nine?

Now let's see how they do against the good pitchers.

Posted by: KenNat | May 26, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

If i say this one more time i'm gonna throw up my waffles that baby girl made me this morning RIZZO NEEDS TO FIND A BAT!!!hell, swallow some pride and call Elijah we are not hitting the turning point of the game was runners on 2nd and 3rd one out and Nyjer and Guz comming up and nothing absolutely zippo,nada, not one damn run we are staring at a sweep with two of their best pitchers comming up today and tommorow we need a miracle.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

The game sucked so bad on masnhd that I changed over to low def. Channel 4 on comlast.

Has anybody noticed that Nyjer and Adam Kennedy have huge wads of chaw in their mouths when coming up to bat? And since I've been seeing that, their batting started to suck?
Is there a provision in the CBA about drug testing? Not saying there's a correlation, but Man, these two players have really gone downhill since April.

And our pitching-catching relationship is down since Pudge went out. Nieves called one inside pitch. Every other pitch was low and away over the corners. And the Ump was calling them strikes? What a strike zone. Bernadina gets hit square on the knee and our pitchers don't retaliate. Why can't our pitchers throw inside pitches?

Offense...my kingdom for at least 5 runs every game! Or this is going to be a very bad road trip!

Posted by: M20832 | May 26, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse