Mark Lerner's batting practice misadventure

Nationals principal owner Mark Lerner received stitches this evening after an unfortunate moment during today's batting practice.

Lerner, as he occasionally does, was shagging fly balls in full Nationals uniform alongside his team. Standing in right field, where the sun made it difficult to see, Lerner settled under a fly ball. The ball barely glanced off his glove and drilled Lerner, 56, on the bridge of his nose, right between the eyes.

"I've never seen blood gush that fast out of someone," said one Nationals player.

A trainer rushed to his aid, and Lerner had to be walked off the field with a towel held to his bleeding forehead. Lerner, happily, is doing fine now.

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 20, 2010; 7:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 42 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Mets
Next: Q&A: First Things First with Dan Steinberg, 9:30 a.m.

Comments

Well,
I guess he is out of the right field platoon.

Posted by: mintbucket | May 20, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Haa-Haa - "Nelson"

Posted by: boricuabopper | May 20, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to believe this. A Lerner, bleed?

Posted by: wahoo2x | May 20, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

*BLONK*

Posted by: tgerbracht | May 20, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Serves him right, honestly.

Posted by: fuglynats | May 20, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Fuglynats - Honestly you are a sick f-ck. Seriously, sick.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 20, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

this post is no good without pictures!

Posted by: misschatter | May 20, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, lighten up. Whatever.

Due to Mr. Silver Spoon's utter incompetence and inability to read people, we got extra years of Trader Jim, a hole from which we're just digging ourselves out of.

Now we hear about him "shagging fly balls in full Nationals uniform."

Serves him right.

Posted by: fuglynats | May 20, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

payback for inviting phillies fans into our ballpark

Posted by: yoooooooo | May 20, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I dunno. If I owned a team, I'd shag flies in bp. Heck, I'd take bp.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 20, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

...and you'd be laughed at.

Posted by: BoteMan | May 20, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Typical of siver spoon probably as a kid had the nice spikes,uniform(cause his daddy bought the uni's) and expensive glove but couldn't play dead(pardon the expression)should be focusing on free agent Carl Crawford of Tampa Bay instead of trying to imitate a ballplayer,LMAO!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 20, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

My Bad, meant to type silver instead of siver.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 20, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

You can always tell when Markie Mark is in the outfield. He's the only with the Nationals full uniform on, but wearing leather pants, like his ex-boyfriend JimBo.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | May 20, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Looking ahead, let's remember last year -- and pay the team that shall not be mentioned back, big time

Posted by: nats24 | May 21, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I wish Mark Lerner would learn what he's supposed to do as team owner. He's supposed to write checks so that better players come and win games for DC.

He's not supposed to pretend he's (A) young enough and (B) skilled enough to be a player himself.

This is really pretty embarrassing.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 21, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse

Reminds me of that old cartoon which shows a ballplayer calling for a fly ball: "I GOT IT, I GOT IT!" Voice over (with picture of a tombstone): "He got it!"

Posted by: dzukijason | May 21, 2010 6:02 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious! HAHAHAHA! If it was a bag of money he'd have caught it!

Posted by: logan9 | May 21, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

If'n I owned the team, I'd shag flies during BP too, just to be "one of the guys" as it were. Let the players know I wasn't a stuffed shirt with no humility (getting smacked in the face like that does a lot to erase an air of superiority, especially if he comes out tonight and does it again)

His job isn't to scout, it's not to "sign" players, his job is to sign the checks that Rizzo and Kasten tell him he should sign. You don't want the owner "running" the team, you want him "owning" the team. And there's nothing wrong with goofing around with the players in this fashion. Heck, it gives the fans in attendance something to chuckle at as they watch the owner try to not make a fool of himself.

I find it quite refreshing. I doubt Angelos would ever be so 'normal'. (and don't tell me there's a one of you posting here that wouldn't pay $100 to shag flies right next to him if offered the chance)

Posted by: Rogueone | May 21, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

"his job is to sign the checks that Rizzo and Kasten tell him he should sign."

He isn't doing to much of that with a payroll consistently in the bottom 5.

I feel for the guy, it probably hurt like heck and he feels like a dumbass.

Karma is a biznotch though.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 21, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

If I were rich like the Lerners, I would put up with taking one on the nose and having people cruelly mock me on a baseball news blog.

Yep, tough life, owning a baseball team.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | May 21, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Making fun of someone who got hurt. What a negative bunch of losers. Probably has never even been to a ball game.

Posted by: boyn4884 | May 21, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Put me in the camp who doesn't find humor in his injury, and doesn't have a problem with him shagging fly balls. Hope he's doing better now. Oh, it seems to me that a number of MLB players have had issues with the sun while in right field at our ballpark lately.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 21, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I find it quite refreshing. I doubt Angelos would ever be so 'normal'.

Posted by: Rogueone

He's old money, he'll never be normal. They have no idea what normal acts like. 'If I owned the team' - what a sweet sentiment. If I owned the team with 3 billion dollars, they'd have 100+ million dollar payroll and we'd be the Phillies. Sure, I'd go shag fly balls, since I'm an old CF, just to show Morgan I could throw the ball three times farther than him on a line. Which I can.

Posted by: Brue | May 21, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Danny doesn't play on the field with the fellas on the Skins. I'd send him across the middle to shag a "fly ball" from Donovan and run him right into Albert Haynes---sorry. Haynesworth doesn't practice. My bad!

Posted by: JamesChristian | May 21, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

What the heck... its his team. If he wants to put on a uniform and shag balls, why not?

You would never see me doing it, because I think that it would be seen as pretentious but Lerner and I live in different worlds anyway!

I guess, I kind of feel like you earn the right to wear the uniform before you put it on and go on the field.

Posted by: muddapucker | May 21, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

- Wow Bruce, your my hero!

Posted by: brianbu | May 21, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Well, better he got hit shagging fly balls, than taking batting pratice and someone beaning him in the head.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | May 21, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

What I'm trying to figure out is how he got close enough to a fly ball in the first place!!

watch and see what I mean:

Posted by: TimDz | May 21, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Jeeze -- I didn't know he did this. And I thought The Danny was a jock sniffer wannabe.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | May 21, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I was in the RF stands (front row) when this happened. None of us up there realized it was Lerner. We all thought it was just a coach. Weird.

However, I think that he goes out there and does this is a great sign for an owner. As much as the press gets on Mark Cuban in Dallas, the fans love him and the team loves him and he's out there shooting the ball around. What's the difference? Lerner likes baseball and is taking advantage of his position to do get out of the office and get some fresh air. Good for him.

Posted by: deltaxi | May 21, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This happened to me as a child...the first of 3 times I've broken my nose.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 21, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why folks have a problem with Lerner shagging fly balls with the team. I'm sure that up until he took one in the kisser, he was simply enjoying himself and having some fun. I have no problem with that.

I mean really, given the choice, what would you rather do: sit in your office or go out on a nice sunny day and goof around?

Posted by: EKruse | May 21, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse