Mike MacDougal to Harrisburg

Reliever Mike MacDougal, who saved 20 games for the Nationals during his stint as the Nationals closer, was assigned to Class AA Harrisburg. MacDougal had been rehabbing in extended spring training in Viera, Fla.

The Nationals signed MacDougal to a minor league contract midway through spring training after the Florida Marlins released him. MacDougal helped stabilize the Nationals bullpen last season after he joined them midseason, saving 20 games in 21 chances and compiling a 3.60 ERA in 50 innings.

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 7, 2010; 6:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineups
Next: Justin Maxwell's new glasses

Comments

Probably move up to Syracuse once Storen gets promoted. They are still 1 over in Syracuse I think?

Posted by: periculum | May 7, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Good move- He has had some good stretches in his career and with the Nats. He is definitely not a closer, but I would feel more confident with him than others in our current bullpen.

Posted by: Tom8 | May 7, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

They actually have 15 pitchers in Syracuse, so no room there. They have 10 relievers. They have been playing with only 9 or 10 position players for some weeks now. I can't imagine how they've done it. They have 9 position players on their roster, and now have Morse on rehab who doesn't count against the 24 limit.

Posted by: Jeff_Jackson | May 7, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Excitement is back! I cannot understand how a major league pitcher is unable to throw a four-seam fastball over the plate, let alone where he wants to. I mean, I used to play CF in high school but I was an emergency reliever, and I could throw a mid-80's four-seamer where I wanted it most of the time. I'm not bragging, there's nothing to brag about because I was never used in a game, but it really ain't that hard if you have your arm FOLLOW your body. Your front leg takes you directly to where the ball ends up. I had a discussion with a co-worker today who used to pitch for UMBC, and he was around 90 with a good slider, and he had mastered both the two and four seamer, but blew his arm out because his college coach wanted him to throw sliders non-stop. I don't know, but the main thing MacDougal has to do in my mind is keep his head relatively still so that he maintains the target all the way through his delivery, which automatically will keep him from overthrowing it. He could probably still hit 94-95 with a more controlled delivery imo. Even if he throws 92, he's going to get that natural downer action from staying on top of the ball at his height. Downhill.

Posted by: Brue | May 7, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Again, we have a situation in which I cannot believe the Nats resigned someone, but I hope that I am proved ignorant. Let's have MacDougal kick some minor league butt, and then come back to the Nats either as a great reliever or as a trade chip.

The rules are simple: We traded Lastings Milledge away with bad feelings. I hope he fails. We re-signed Mike MacDougal although he is scary and inconsistent. I hope he succeeds.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 7, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Resigning players isn't dumb or desparate. Anybody wish we had resigned Austin Kearns for $1M? (Indians got him for $750K) Check out his stats. A good clubhouse guy to boot.

Posted by: Natmeister | May 7, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

If Mr. Excitement can show he's throwing strikes consistently he'd be better than Bruney right now out of the pen who can't seem to get my grandmother out when it matters.

Posted by: ryaneades | May 8, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Imagine that 'pen come July. Burnett, MacDougal, Storen, Clippard, Capps. Be nice to mix another lefty in there.

Posted by: ryaneades | May 8, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse