Scott Olsen leaves game with shoulder injury

Scott Olsen left tonight's game early because of tightness in his left shoulder. Olsen, who underwent surgery last year to repair a torn labrum in left shoulder, lasted only three innings and 64 pitches against the Baltimore Orioles. He allowed four runs on six hits and three walks.

The Nationals trail the Orioles 4-0 in the top of the fourth. Livan Hernandez pinch-hit for Olsen in the third inning, and Miguel Batista took over him for Olsen on the mound.

Before tonight, Olsen had been one of the hottest pitchers in the majors. Since April 25, a span of five starts, only David Price and Ubaldo Jimenez had better than Olsen's 1.11 ERA.

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 21, 2010; 8:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brian Bruney clears waivers, will refuse assignment [UPDATED]
Next: Derek Norris hit on head, taken to hospital

Comments

OK, I understand why Olsen was getting hit hard now. The question is why they can't hit off a AAAA pitcher.

Posted by: p-man | May 21, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Imagine obscene language. I am thinking it, at the very least.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 21, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Is this 2010 or 2009?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | May 21, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Let's assume Olsen is going on the DL. Because of the off day, the Nationals won't need a starter until the 29th in San Diego, which would line up with the rotation spot a certain AAA pitcher from San Diego...

Posted by: cassander | May 21, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I like Drew storen a lot. He is really going to help stabalize that bullpen. And don't give up on Scott Olsen. He is young and KNOWS how to pitch, We just need to get him right physically.

Posted by: chris88 | May 21, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris88 | May 21, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

@Cassander No chance. SS will debut in a home game. Ch-ching!!

Posted by: chris88 | May 21, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Repeating my post on game thread aimed at Desmond bashers. He just saved a hit in inning just ended. No one else on the team makes that play. He is our SS until Espinosa takes it away (someone becomes the 2B).

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: ehardwick | May 21, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I agree Ehardwick, Desmond made a tremendous play. I think if we just let him play and learn, He will develop into a very important part of the team for a long time.

Posted by: chris88 | May 21, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

UH OH!!!
What a disgraceful effort by the Nats. They made Hernandez look like Sandy Koufax out there. Is this their new M O, fall behind big early, sleepwalk through the first 6 innings before mounting a feeble comeback just enough to lose? To the lowly stinkin OS??!!
WOW>

Posted by: dovelevine | May 21, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Sign. Oswalt. Now.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | May 21, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

UH OH!!!
What a disgraceful effort by the Nats.

Really? 'Cause I've been watching this team ever since they got here and I know disgraceful efforts when I see one. Disappointing, yeah. But I think some people are becoming quickly spoiled by the early season success. This is their first really tough stretch of the season and they're still only one game under .500. If you were told on Opening Day that on this date, they'd be one game under .500, you'd be ecstatic. Be real, people. It's a long season. Slumps happen. Ride it out and wait for better days. They're coming.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 21, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Actually, they'd have to Trade. For. Oswalt. Now. And I don't know what they have to offer. Derek Norris? Burgess? A couple of pitchers? Not sure they'd have the best offer.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 21, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@baltova1

"If you were told on Opening Day that on this date, they'd be one game under .500, you'd be ecstatic. Be real, people. It's a long season. Slumps happen. Ride it out and wait for better days. They're coming."

What he said

Posted by: CAskinhead | May 22, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

What they said. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 22, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

While this latest bad streak pains me, I'll agree that I thought they would be much worse off about now before the season began. Hopes were high in the weeks before this latest slump. I do worry about the shape of the record after this next tough west coast trip. If they come out of that around .500 or within sight of .500, maybe we can keep hope alive.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 22, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Yeah!! What all of you's said!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 22, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the regression to the mean has been completed, and we'll be a .500 or just under .500 team from here on out. Last year's team probably couldn't even have mustered the weak comebacks we saw the past two games. I'm hoping this is a temporary setback for Olsen, but the fact that it's his left shoulder doesn't sound good.

Posted by: p-man | May 22, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Maxwell...Shron Martin....J.D. Martin and Atilano....for Oswalt....

Posted by: outrbnksm | May 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

sorry, I know this was newposted several times over--I just now stopped laughing.

*******************
Maxwell...Shron Martin....J.D. Martin and Atilano....for Oswalt....
Posted by: outrbnksm | May 22, 2010 11:29 AM