Today's lineup

The Nationals will keep Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn flip-flopped, as was the plan before last night's game was rained out. Willie Harris remains in left for Josh Willingham, who is dealing with a tweaked groin. Ivan Rodriguez, originally out of the lineup yesterday, will start and catch Livan Hernandez. The Nationals are facing Ubaldo Jimenez, the likely leading Cy Young candidate.

Nationals
1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Adam Kennedy, 2B
3. Adam Dunn, 1B
4. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
5. Willie Harris, LF
6. Ivan Rodriguez, C
7. Roger Bernadina, RF
8. Ian Desmond, SS
9. Livan Hernandez, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 15, 2010; 11:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals undecided on Stephen Strasburg's debut
Next: The Nationals lineup explained

Comments

I'd rather see Pudge catching Atilano tonight, but I understand playing him in the day game with his back.

Hope that Willingham can play the 2nd game - could be a soft lineup without him.

Posted by: BinM | May 15, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

can someone explain the "mlb blackout restriction" on this game? Doesn't make any sense to me - the game is on radio...why isn't it on TV? Is it not on b/c of the Fox game?

Posted by: banjax451 | May 15, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I like pairing Livo with Pudge -- they've had good success together this year and we need to keep the score down to have a shot against Jimenez. I do find the Zimm/Dunn flip-flop a bit curious. I understand shaking it up to get Dunn going, but for my money I'd rather have Zimm on the basepath running off a Dunn hit than vice versa. Then again, I shouldn't question the man who has our Nats at 5 games above .500!

Posted by: HenryStin | May 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@banjax451:
You're exactly right: the Fox Game of the Week takes precedence over all other TV broadcasts of MLB games on Saturday afternoon. They are thus blacked out.
@#$%^&*-ing Fox.

Posted by: bertbkatz | May 15, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@banjax, If you are outside the DC metro area, then Yes it is because of FOX. Everything other than your local market team or teams will be blacked out. Fox has exclusive rights until 7PM eastern time on Saturdays. It Sucks, I am stuck with Rays vs. Mariners in theat atrocity of a barn in St. Pete. Go Nats!!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | May 15, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I think that Willingham's absence from the line-up is responsible for the Dunn-Zimm flip-flop. Dunn now has Zimmerman protecting him, so he'll see better pitches. Of course, Zimm suffers somewhat in this arrangement. You can't have everything.

Posted by: bertbkatz | May 15, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I would like to second the f-bomb towards FOX. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | May 15, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Worst mistake baseball brass ever made, other than financially I suppose, was to grant FOX the baseball contract. They stink.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 15, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the explanations...figured it was f'ing Fox's fault

Posted by: banjax451 | May 15, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

As i understand the comments we should get the game this afternoon here in DC on MASN right?

why is it not being shown?

Is it being shown on MASN2?

Why not?

Posted by: agrawog | May 15, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Nope - from what others have written and what I've been able to find on google, the game isn't on MASN or MASN2 here b/c Fox has exclusivity on Saturday afternoons, so we here in DC will be getting Brewers v. Phillies, since Fox believes everyone in the entire I95 corridor loves the Mets/Yankees/Phillies/Red Sox

Only way you can watch the game is through mlb.tv I believe.

Posted by: banjax451 | May 15, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Dunn is hitting pretty much his career average, so I find the swap mysterious.

Posted by: BunRabs | May 15, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the lineup swap isn't that big a deal. I don't think it makes too much difference and batting order is often overrated. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Jimenez shut us out last time out and he just wants to do something different and give him for lefties to worry about in the first inning. Also, if Dunner is looking for BBs, might be nice to give him some protection. Plus remember that Zimmer is more of a double play threat. Giving him a shot with some 2 out RBI may be better than giving him double play opportunities.

Posted by: souldrummer | May 15, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

this tv thing is complete and utter B***S***

Posted by: DCguy7 | May 15, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

This is so ridiculous. The fox game doesn't start till 4. I guess they dictate the damn day.

Posted by: JDB1 | May 15, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Willingham's groin pull: he injured it running down the line Wed. night, so probably can chalk that up at least in part to the umps' decision to continue play in atrocious conditions. Rox will be lucky if their 3B Stewart avoided injury after his awkward slip in same game.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | May 15, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Zimm is protecting Dunn, and Willie Harris is protecting Zimm. And before you say "Willie Harris?!?", you should check his stats versus Jimenez. He's about the only Nat who has actually hit him well. Riggleman, as usual, is playing match-ups, just this time with the #5 spot and not relief pitchers.

Posted by: HaikuMan | May 15, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse