Today's lineup

rain at sf.jpg

That picture actually gives you only a partial sense of how bleak the weather is today at AT&T Park. The Nationals and Giants are going to have to do everything they can to play today because the Nats don't come back here again this year. There could be a long delay. Stay tuned.

Against Barry Zito, the Nationals will use an atypical lineup with just one left-handed batter, Adam Dunn. Also, Cristian Guzman will get a shot in right field, his third start there, and Justin Maxwell will come off the bench for a start, as will Carlos Maldonado, whose last major league appearance came in September 2007.

Nationals
1. Justin Maxwell, CF
2. Cristian Guzman, RF
3. Adam Dunn, 1B
4. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Ian Desmond, SS
7. Alberto Gonzalez, 2B
8. Carlos Maldonado, C
9. Craig Stammen, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 27, 2010; 1:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adam Kennedy can roll with the role
Next: A rain update and the Giants lineup

Comments

Are we just not trying today?

Posted by: machencm | May 27, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Are we just not trying today? Posted by: machencm

Actually I remember the exact same comments about our lineup for a home game against the Marlins when it looked like all our good hitters were sitting. And we ended up winning that game. So when it comes to this team, man you just neva know.
Just look at the past 2 nights.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that these "different" lineups that Riggleman's used have, for the most part, worked this season. As they say, we'll see how it plays out. Unless it's rained out.

Posted by: mojo6 | May 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

How can you look at that lineup and conclude "not trying"?

Nieves needs a rest, plus it's a day game after a night game. Gonzalez has been doing great with very limited playing time. Nyjer hasn't exactly been lighting up the joint (ummm, that is, he hasn't been playing all that well). I'd rather see Bernadina in center, but other than that, perfectly reasonable lineup for getaway day.

Posted by: joebleux | May 27, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Plus zito has a nasty hook. Hence all the right handed bats. Just looked at the radar. The rain is moving out

Posted by: JDB1 | May 27, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see Ian moving up from the 8-spot

Posted by: ADCWonk | May 27, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Are we just not trying today? Posted by: machencm"

You know, I am usually pretty good at letting ignorance roll of my back when it comes to reader comments, but for some reason this just really rubbed me the wrong way.

You know what 'machencm' - go away. Or at least stop talking until you stop making Nats fans look like idiots and can learn a thing or two about baseball.

Speaking as a fan of baseball, and a Nats fan, I don't want you near the game for fear your ignorance may breed by proximity.

These guys are pros, plain and simple. They're going to go out there, compete hard, do their jobs and let the chips fall where they may. That is the simple truth behind this 2010 Nats ballclub, and for me, that's something I can get behind and cheer for.

If you can't, like I said, go away.

Posted by: ryaneades | May 27, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Guz in RF more often. I still like his bat a lot, and he still makes the occasional spectacular defensive play, but AG and AK have a lot more mobility for stopping some of those shots up the middle. I feel like we save almost a base hit per game when we have one of them at 2B.

Posted by: Jackmathias | May 27, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

screw it, just play in the rain!

Posted by: chillsonic | May 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious as to why Riggs felt that Guz in RF on a rain-slicked surface is the smart choice, instead of having Morse in RF and Guz at 2B. Is it that much more important to get AGonz some AB's??

Posted by: erocks33 | May 27, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

erocks, that was my reaction as well. Where's Morse? Otherwise, I have no problem with getting some at bats and playing time for our reserves. As mojo said, these off day lineups have worked out quite well this season. Let's just hope no one gets hurt out there.

Posted by: Section222 | May 27, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope Lou Pinella doesn't hear about Riggleman trying to get at-bats for Gonzalez ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Line up looks great. The season is a team effort and I expect all of them to step up to the plate.

Good to hear the rain is moving out.

Let's go Nats.

(I'm such a Homer) ;)

Posted by: summerandwinter | May 27, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

This lineup is a little crazy by Riggs, but hey what the hell in for a dime, in for a dollar can you imagine Zito and Righetti's thought process as they look at this lineup and say "we're on cruise control today baby" that is until they pitch to em. GO NATS!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 27, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, first off you got day game after a night game and Maldonado obviously needs to catch. Which also means sticking him in the line-up somewhere, hence you’re moving up Des a bit. And Max leading off – what the heck? Morgan isn’t getting on base and probably needs to sit and get his head right anyway. Tweak here, tweak there. It looks fine to me.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | May 27, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse