Today's lineups

Jason Heyward is out for Atlanta, and the Nationals will roll out a pretty typical lineup. Roger Bernadina is the right fielder du jour.

Nationals

5. Matt Diaz, LF
6. David Ross, C
7. Melky Cabrera, RF
8. Nate McLouth, CF
9. Tim Hudson, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 6, 2010; 3:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals minor matters
Next: Adam Dunn's contract extension: No talks, and no worries

Comments

I want to beat these guys so bad.

Posted by: CapitolWill | May 6, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

That might be our best line-up, IMHO.

Series win would be awful nice this evening.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 6, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Next offseason, they should sign a legit 2B. Guzman, hopefully, will not be re-signed. That will free up $8M a year.

It's a good lineup, but something's missing in the #2 spot.

Posted by: jboogie1 | May 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

More sad news ... Robin Roberts has passed away at the age of 83. I, unfortunately, am not old enough to have seen him pitch, but as a fan of the game I totally respect what that man did on the field. R.I.P Mr. Roberts.

Posted by: erocks33 | May 6, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, CapitolWill. Make it happen, Track 'n Smack Nats. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 6, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

What's missing in the 2 hole is Desmond

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't usually get into picking nits on the lineup, but I'm happy that Desmond keeps hitting ahead of Bernadina. One of Rogearvin's strengths is his ability to not swing the bat, which is real nice in the 8th spot. Desmond, while terrific, has shown less discipline. So, I like the switch.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 6, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I think I would start considering switching Dunn n Zimmeran, in the order. I'm sick of seeing Dunn take waaaaaaAaaaaaay tooooooooooo many called 3strikes. With his "knack" for obtaining walks, Zimm could benefit knocking him in...just my humble opinion!!!

Posted by: Lipty | May 6, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I like that they're giving Bernadina an extended look. He seems to be hitting better now that he's playing fairly regularly.

Posted by: elijah383 | May 6, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

This is a great lineup tonight, no Willie Harris, I know Jim is trying to get him ABs but he is hitting below the Mendoza line, let Josh play every game we saw what he can do when the game is on the line!

Posted by: markfd | May 6, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Dang! You beat me to it!
---------------------------------------
What's missing in the 2 hole is Desmond

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq

Posted by: PattyinSJ | May 6, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Desmond is a natural #2 hitter and will be there for many years to come. Right now though, with a weak hitting 2nd baseman, Riggs doesn't want a ton of dead spots in the lineup at the bottom. Once they get a regularly hitting 2nd baseman, Desmond will be moved up in the lineup.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 6, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"With his "knack" for obtaining walks, Zimm could benefit knocking him in."

Lipty, Dunn's actually leading the team in runs with 16. I think Willingham and Pudge are knocking him in just fine, but having one of our easier outs in the #3 after Kennedy's struggles at #2 and Morgan's propensity for getting caught stealing creates as many problems as it solves.

Not that I don't appreciate the spirit of innovation!

Posted by: Section506 | May 6, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

"Once they get a regularly hitting 2nd baseman, Desmond will be moved up in the lineup."

And how is this not Cristian Guzman? (I ask to you since Jim Riggelman got that court order keeping me out of his kitchen). I've not been so impressed with Adam Kennedy

Posted by: Section506 | May 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

You can't call Dunn an easy out - very high on base %, and his leading the team in runs is additional evidence of his ability to get on base.

I wonder about moving him up to #3 so Zimm has more baserunners to knock in, but wouldn't teams pitch around Zimm the way they pitch around Dunn now? I think that would be worse than Dunn in the cleanup spot.

Guzman's .286 avg is a very shallow thing - almost no walks, not much power to beef it up. Better than Kennedy, but way worse than Desmond. I think Riggs keeps Kennedy in the 2 hole to take some pitches for Nyjer and on the field because he's a better defender than Guzzie, and Desmond is in the bottom of the lineup to keep the pressure off him as a rookie.

Posted by: utec | May 6, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I think dovelevine is on target regarding Desmond in the #2 slot; That position in the order lends itself to a patient hitter, who also has proven bat control. Of course, the exception to the rule would be Guzzie, who has never seen a pitch he didn't like.

Posted by: BinM | May 6, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I've got to believe that Taveras is living on borrowed time with the Nationals - the team needs a roster spot for Lannan's fill-in, and Morse is just about out of rehab appearances in SYR. Something has to give on the roster over the next 48 hours.

Posted by: BinM | May 6, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse