Today's lineups

The Nationals will go with a pretty standard lineup aside from Willy Taveras receiving a rare start in right field because the Nationals will face left-hander Jonathon Niese.

Nationals

5. David Wright, 3B
6. Ike Davis 1B
7. Jeff Francoeur, RF
8. Rod Barajas, C
9. Jonathon Niese, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 11, 2010; 4:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ivan Rodriguez still not slowing down
Next: John Lannan's pitch count Thursday

Comments

Guzman at #2 looks good to me. It would be great to see the Nats sweep an NL East opponent.

Posted by: jboogie1 | May 11, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

jboggie, mentally I'm still getting over the attitude of us going into a series and not getting swept! Love to see us playing well against the NL East.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | May 11, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Left handed pitcher: Guz at second and Taveras in right ...

In other lineup news the 4 racing presidents will be in Syracuse on Wednesday (they also moved Cancer awareness day to this day) when Strasburg pitches.

Have to wonder if Teddy will finally win?

Posted by: periculum | May 11, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Earlier in the year I decided to just let my displeaure with Stan Kasten go. I have not been perfect, but pretty good. Today I'm going to get over the right field situation. Nothing can be done until the offseason and there is no point to further agita.

Posted by: markfromark | May 11, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

mark - i'm not sure RF is beyond hope this year. In a month or two we figure to have a surplus of marginal ML pitching. Someone in contention might very well be willing to deal us a marginal (or better) ML outfielder for pitching.

Posted by: hats4bats | May 11, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree with hats4bats. We're a month or so away from getting a RF. Somebody is going to want some of our pitching and overpay. In a post earlier today, someone had quotes from 4 GM's saying now isn't the time. But our time is coming for pitching and RF.

Posted by: fpcsteve | May 11, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I answered my guestion from last thread about the weather. This game could be rained out, darn it! Last year, I would have been happy at the prospect.

markfrommark, we have to hope that Bernadina comes to life or Maxwell comes back with punch, or that the Brain Trust make Wee Willie the everyday starter and that works out.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | May 11, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Rizzo is thinking Michael Burgess ... meanwhile Duncan and Morse I expect ... if not Bernadina.

Posted by: periculum | May 11, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Reposting my comment from last thread after reading learned discussion on new stats and the theories behind them. "You stathead do find time to attend games don't you?":)

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | May 11, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: souldrummer | May 11, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Duncan outfield play is poor. I'm sure with the re-focus on defense, Duncan is considered only a 1B by the Nats.

Posted by: Sunderland | May 11, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Teddy will win when the Nats are in first place.

If the Nats are tied for first, Teddy should tie one of the other presidents.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 11, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section220 | May 11, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ahardwick, Section220's got your answer. More to the point, why on earth would we spend all that time studying a game that we actually *like*? Ye gods, the horror.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 11, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Also - if you are interested - the very best stuff I've read on BABIP is by Matt Swartz at BP, who did a three part series on it for hitters. Matt has previously concluded that a pitcher's BABIP is about 75 percent luck, 13 percent defense and park, and 12 percent pitcher skill. IIRC, he concluded that hitters had roughly three times as much control over their BABIP.

I will now shut up and return to playing with my spreadsheets.

Posted by: Section220 | May 11, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey 220, before you get too engrossed, make sure you download the new WoW patches off the mirror site. You might have to re-route the encryptions to access the Easter eggs, but when you do -- zOMG! PWNAGE!!!1! i'M NOT SLEEPing 2nite!!!1!

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 11, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

The RF merry-go-round continues. I suppose it continues until someone solidifies out there or trade time in July. Yeah, its annoying but its reasonable to wait since we may have some surplus pitching to offer in a trade. I'm pretty sure Rizzon has a few contingnecy plans. For all the carping about releasing Dukes it was the right thing to do on several levels. I mean does anyone truly think he was on the verge of a major breakout? The fact that he has decided to "sit out" the year is a pretty clear indicaiton of his mindset.

Posted by: Natmeister | May 11, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The Teddy theories are correct, I hope. Let Teddy tie on Thursday!!!!

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 11, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"You statheads do find time to attend games don't you"

I found watching the games inhibits my ability to enjoy them. I actually have every datapoint fed into my RSS feed in binary, in order to properly take it in its purest form.

0000001000000010000000010000000011010101!

Posted by: Section506 | May 11, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Natmiester: I'm all "Duked" out, i'll say this one last time if he was so bad attitude wise why bring him to spring training? why not tell him we're going in a different direction Elijah good luck to you and your career, why put him through the motions of 4/5 weeks of bullsh#t and then release him that's all i'm saying.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 11, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

"Peri, isn't Mench closer to being an option than Duncan at this point? Duncan's got like a .618 OPS and is listed as a 1B on Syracuse's roster. Mench is hitting .320 with a .791 OPS."

I think Mench, like Morse is a right handed bat. Morse, believe it or not, it also the better fielder. And the better hitter. Duncan is a left handed hitter who has seen action in the outfield and at first base. He seems to be progressing. So, the difference? The left-handed bat.

In the end in Syracuse you find veteran depth and inventory to be used in case of injury to starters and key back up players.

Posted by: periculum | May 11, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"i'll say this one last time if he was so bad attitude wise why bring him to spring training?"

I suspect this is more about Riggleman (with MiLB managers' support) going to Rizzo about Dukes. I guess we'll never know. Rizzo is the guy who invited him to spring training and set him on the depth chart. Riggleman is the one who likely had him released.

Posted by: periculum | May 11, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind. Tim Foli, a Dukes supporter, is not managing Syracuse nor anywhere else in the minors this year.

Posted by: periculum | May 11, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@506 - hysterical clip.

Posted by: Section220 | May 11, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The encouraging thing about RF this year is what Rizzo pulled off last year: the Nyjer Morgan trade. I'm betting this year's Morgan is out there and that Rizzo has already targeted him and will get him. If precedent means anything, someone will overpay for pitching, and we'll get a steal for RF.

Posted by: fpcsteve | May 11, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

"Teddy will win when the Nats are in first place."

Yes, and on the final home game of the season, before a sellout crowd.

Sorry, but I'll wager all three criteria have to be in place before Teddy even gets near a whiff of a victory.

Posted by: MikeH0714 | May 11, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

fpcsteve- That is a very good point. I think we as fans get blinded by names and miss the talent out there that is floating under the radar (eg Morgan)

Lets face it- we are still building for the future. If we finish .500 this season will be a large success. Keep building for 3-4 years down the road when we can have a legit shot at the title.

Posted by: Tom8 | May 11, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

>No. We don't find time to attend games. We just look at the results of the games on our spreadsheets in our mothers' basements. Sunshine hurts our eyes.
Posted by: Section22

No need to get defensive. But really, do you sit around in your undies all day, or do you just go straight to diapers so your mommie can change them? Tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch! It's heaven. You can use the pythagorean theory to say that there's no way the Nats keep winning one-run games. Hey - as long as they get their starters into the 7th every night, Riggs can take care of the bullpen. The guy is so much more remarkable as a manager than he was 10 years ago. I take a peek at the stats too, I just don't get carried away that they're definitive necessarily. A lot of neat relationships for stats, but have trouble with how useful and non-redundant they are. Whatever. 18-14. Mets suck.

Posted by: Brue | May 11, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Willy Taveras starts even a single game for the Washington Nationals when only one (Morse) of the something like six other options is injured is telling. This problem is not about Dukes, although it started when Dukes was cut without a plan B. It's about having a major league quality hitter in one of the most important hitting spots on the team. We don't have it, and until we do, we can't really make a serious run at anything. I was willing to give Rizzo the benefit of the doubt and hope he was working diligently to solve the problem, but he recently said he's happy with the production from that position. That's a cryin' shame.

Posted by: Section222 | May 11, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if people have seen it, but there's a nice article about Peaches aka Tyler Clippard in the New York Times today.

Posted by: souldrummer | May 11, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I understand what you mean, but honestly, what's he going to say? "Willie Harris, you suck!"?

*****************
Posted by: Section222 | May 11, 2010 6:46 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 11, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Even though I keep hoping for Rizzo to find a more productive right fielder, I'm good with tonight's lineup.

BTW, I may be the only one, but I appreciate that both lineups are being posted.

Posted by: KenzAFan | May 11, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse