Today's lineups

After his gaffe yesterday, Nyjer Morgan is back atop a pretty standard Nationals lineup. Wil Nieves is in for Ivan Rodriguez, who left yesterday with lower back pain. We'll see how Rodriguez is doing.

Nationals

5. Luke Scott, 1B
6. Adam Jones, CF
7. Matt Wieters, C
8. Julio Lugo, SS
9. Kevin Millwood, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 23, 2010; 10:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teammates defend Nyjer Morgan's fielding miscue
Next: Ivan Rodriguez to miss time with sore back

Comments

I wouldn't expect a game today. Everybody can rest.

I imagine that Maxwell's stay will be short, no longer than it takes for the team to need a starter in Olsen's place. I am sure he'll take that gladly, but I doubt he'll have much opportunity to make an impression which would let him stay.

I was asking about what is up with Wang before, but it occurs to me that I don't really know what has gone on with Marquis since his unimpressive first start for Potomac. We're going to need somebody to step up from the disabled list while others like Olsen are joining it.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 23, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow cannot believe Morgan is starting. Woulda bet a million bucks Riggs would sit him today. What a terrible decision. Really really disappointed in Riggs.

Obviously Morgan thought the ball went over the fence. He'd have to be totally psycho to throw down his mitt with the ball in play. But that doesn't excuse anything. That was completely bush league. Take that back. Players in bush league don't act like that.

And it wasn't an isolated incident as shown above. 2 inside the park hrs in less than a week are not coincidence. And both those balls shoulda been caught. Hope they sit the guy today.

Yea and almost forgot about being thrown out at third before Stammen crossed the plate. That cost us another game.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 23, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I must say that I am impressed with a position that says mistakes of the human kind are to be recognize and dealt with differently.

Maybe all mistakes don't need harsh treatment.

Of course I said in milliseconds after that play get him out of there.....but I am here and they are there and I am impressed with what is becoming a human clubhouse........if all things could be .....hmmmmm

Posted by: CBinDC | May 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Morgan is clearly in a huge multifaceted slump. Throwing a glove is unacceptable and I was surprised to see him in the lineup today. All that said, I love the way his teammates supported him. He must bring something to the clubhouse and I will defer to his mates and the coaches to know best how to handle this. Hopefully he gets his act together.

Posted by: NatsFly | May 23, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Adam, can you please start some momentum to change the name of this series? Maybe take a poll of what to call this?

My suggestion would be the Parkway Punchout. We do have the BW Parkway between us that like actually connects the two cities. Beltways are like castle moats....

Posted by: dand187 | May 23, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Riggs was right in not removing Nyjer, and he's right in starting him today. It was not lack of hustle or lack of caring.

The Nats wouldn't be .500 now if it was Thrillidge or Dukes out there. Zendo had it right in the last thread.

Posted by: nats24 | May 23, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@+1/2St.:

The pitchers on the DL probably aren't going to help anytime soon - Detwiler might be the closest to actual "live bats" rehab, but will need to get some innings in VT/HAG/HAR before being activated. Marquis is out 6-8 weeks minimum following elbow surgery; No word on Mock - cervical (whiplash-like) injuries are hard to judge. Wang & JZimm won't be available until after the All-Star break, if then.

If / when pitching help is needed, it's going to come from the minors, imo - Strasburg in two weeks, and JD Martin or Chico as interim callups, if needed.

Posted by: BinM | May 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

If we put olsen on the dl who are going to bring up from the minors? Is it going to be a hitter since we dont need a picther for a few games.

Posted by: geai | May 23, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow June 4 is completely sold out. Opening day wasn't even sold out. This is pretty amazing. Be interesting to see if Lerners try to switch the date now to make more money.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 23, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

June 4 is NOT sold out, I just went to Nats.com and was able to select 2 down in the RF Baseline Box.

Definitely not sold out, don't know how you got to that conclusion, but the nats website says otherwise.

Posted by: comish4lif | May 23, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer Morgan is a huge liability in center field. How else can you explain 2-- thats TWO inside the park home runs in one week. We're talking something that maybe happens once a year if that. Seriously we're talking about 2 fly balls that should have simply been outs and long forgotten. I mean Lastings Milledge and Nook Logan never pulled off this feat. This guy can not play center field. Period.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 23, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"Seriously we're talking about 2 fly balls that should have simply been outs and long forgotten."

Well, that argument can cut both ways. That's 2 crummy (ok, really, really crummy) plays, three if you count the would-be triple (since you brought it up), and that over a relatively short time frame. SO--three bad plays, and you're ready to fire the guy his teammates uniformly credit with turning around the clubhouse attitude.
May I suggest you are over-reacting?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse