Tonight in Stephen Strasburg

When he pitches tonight on five days rest, Stephen Strasburg will face a team that recently proved it can smack around a pitcher with elite stuff. Aroldis Chapman, the Cuban left-hander playing for Louisville, the Reds Class AAA affiliate with a high-90s fastball, faced the Rochester Red Wings last Friday. Rochester crushed him, blasting nine hits and scoring eight earned runs in 3 1/3 innings.

While Strasburg-Chapman comparisons abounded in spring training, Strasburg has clearly established himself as the more polished pitcher at this point of their respective developments. You know what Strasburg has done. Chapman, after allowing one earned in his first three starts, has hit a speed bump Strasburg managed to avoid. He is 3-2 with a 4.63 ERA in seven starts in total.

But anyway, Rochester's recent encounter provides a unique backdrop for Strasburg's start tonight. Dave Sheinin will be on the scene in Rochester later tonight. We'll see if Strasburg is any different with the extra day of rest, and if Strasburg can continue his remarkable stretch of allowing one or zero hits, now up four his last five starts.

By Adam Kilgore  |  May 18, 2010; 4:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineups
Next: Stephen Strasburg, Syracuse are rained out

Comments

"now up four his last five starts."

You've finally lost me, Adam. With all the volume you put out on this blog, I've never complained about the occasional typo. Heck, they occur regularly, in every section of the WaPo print edition where you actually have editors (allegedly)! But that phrase - or lack thereof - just put me over the edge. I can't even come close to discerning that it means!!

-The Grammar nazi

Posted by: TheBorg | May 18, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"...discerning that it means"?? Uhh, TheBorg... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | May 18, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't even come close to discerning that [sic] it means!!

---------------

I'm going to go with one or zero hits in four of his last five starts (but how he got to the sentence he wrote I don't know).

Posted by: OldDude | May 18, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Funny, I read it as "now up to four of his last five starts."

It's great that the Post is covering the run up to Strasburg's debut so well. In this instance, coverage is definitely not lacking. Thanks. Interesting to hear something about Chapman too. I guess we won't be seeing him debut against the Nats on June 4.

Posted by: Section222 | May 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Irony: when someone calls someone else out for their grammar and then includes a typo in said calling out. To wit:

I can't even come close to discerning THAT it means!!

Posted by: slewis1 | May 18, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Following Adam's re-tweets, it looks like the Nationals have Collin Balester back down in Florida in an attempt to turn him into a reliever. Did I miss this?

Posted by: Bethesdangit1 | May 18, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Thinking...

"...now up [to] four [in] his last five starts."

There.

Posted by: OldDude | May 18, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Typos be damned! I'm loving this trio of Boz, Sheinin and Kilgore. It feels--dare I say--major league.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 18, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Alright, one of the few benefits of living in central new york. I get to watch Strasburg on local cable tonight!! Sweet! Got my tickets for Sunday afternoon in Syracuse. They better not add an extra day of rest in.

Posted by: FriendofalltheWorld | May 18, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

hey TheBorg

Relax there buddy. You sounds like that little smart guy in elementary school that paid too much attention to the little things in grammer

Point of story - Strasburg may face his toughest challenge so far in his pro career.

Posted by: Nats1924 | May 18, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a wet blanket but looks like rain in Rochester right now. Forecast calls for just cloudy skies, we'll see. A rainout would cause mayhem in the SS debut sweektakes.

Posted by: pwilly | May 18, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

sorry if i actually like to understand what i'm reading. so shoot me.

and i'm glad you all got the joke in the last line of my post! i guess i didn't butcher it enough [sigh].

even if it was meant to be "now up TO four OF his last five starts," that's still a really poorly constructed sentence. do the continued typos and missing words really not bother anyone else? if not, i'll just shut up now, and chalk it up to a bad day. hmph.

GO NATS, and GO STRAS!

Posted by: TheBorg | May 18, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree !
--------------------------------

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 18, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PattyinSJ | May 18, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

There is a risk to churning out all of these pregame posts. Kilgore in the last one wrote:

"The Nationlas have not scored more than three runs in four runs."

Now, as to posters complaining about typos in posts which also include typos, well, to me, that's just the plot calling the cattle back.

Posted by: BobLHead | May 18, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I do believe Old Dude got it right. I'll bet he didn't even suffer a brain cramp from figuring it out, either.

Can we have a moratorium on b#@ching about typos and grammar on a freakin blog??? I mean really, people, these guys have decidedly stepped up the coverage and if their flying fingers hit the wrong key or their fingers don't quite keep up with their thoughts, who cares? This isn't Miss Manners, it is a baseball blog!

Posted by: NatsFly | May 18, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

pwilly:

Actually, it probably wouldn't affect the debut at all. The current probable dates (June 4, June 8) both have some slack in them, so all it would really do is rule out May 23rd, which is already pretty unlikely.

Posted by: cassander | May 18, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"The Nationlas have not scored more than three runs in four runs."

What he's saying here is their offense sucks. They're only scoring 0.75 runs per run. You guys gotta get with these newfangled stats.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 18, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I am not ashamed to say that I hope Strasburg soars in his career, while Chapman enrolls in the Hideku Irabu School of Pitching Disappointment.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 18, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

This is not really a typo or grammar issue, but rather a matter of communicating thoughts. Communicating is what Mr. Kilgore is paid to do.
Adam could eliminate this continuing issue by simply taking a minute or two to proof his copy.

Posted by: Slidell | May 18, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Kilgore does a lot of good reporting, which, no disrespect to Blogfather II, we were lacking for quite some time. So I'd cut him some slack.
But that doesn't include not making fun of his writing when he butchers a phrase. He's a good writer--making fun of people who don't know no better is churlish, but pros are fair game.
G-d knows we've given the players enough [stuff] to fertilize the Sahara for their baseball gaffes.
And speaking strickly for me, people who criticize other people's writing get no mercy when I mess up by switching voices or tenses, either.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 18, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

So I'm with Borg, and you don't care, and I know that, and you know I know, and you know that I know that you don't care, and I don't care whether you do, to be honest.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 18, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Although, it occurs to me we haven't asked Kilgore how he feels about it.

Newposted several times over by now, but Blogfather III, if you're reading this, and our Slotman Gallery kibbitzing really is getting on your nerves, give us a sign.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 18, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Although I do appreciate Kilgore's work (the sheer volume, the subject matter knowledge, the humor, and more), I have to say that I'm with sec3 and Borg on the editorial front. I will also say that it's not all on Kilgore, imo. I suspect that the decrease in editorial staffers and the immediacy of the online environment may also be factors.

(awaiting AK's sign, and hoping he doesn't throw down, you know, *that* finger :-))

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 18, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse