Adam Dunn on Ken Griffey: 'He couldn't understand why you stunk'

In 2000, Adam Dunn made his first appearance in a major league spring training with the Cincinnati Reds. The story of camp was Ken Griffey Jr., whom Jim Bowden had just acquired in a trade.

"He was the best player in the game, and I was just a little peon," Dunn said. "It didn't matter who you were. He was always having fun, man. He just fit it in with everyone. He was not like your typical superstar. It was awesome. Awesome teammate."

Over the next eight years, Dunn revered Griffey as a player and cherished him as a teammate. Dunn had not yet spoken to Griffey about his retirement yesterday, but planned to talk with him later tonight. "He's one of my best friends now," Dunn said.

Dunn remembers "more off-the-field stuff" with Griffey, he said. "He was fun in the clubhouse. That's what a lot of people don't get to see.

"What he did on the field, nobody could touch. He wasn't a very good guy to talk to, because he couldn't understand why you stunk. He was just that good. He tried, but things came so easy to him, man. We would talk hitting all the time, and I would be, 'I can't do that, dude. I have to take to BP getting loose. I can't just get out there at 1:07 and hit a three-run homer like you can.' We tried to talk hitting, but it didn't work too good."

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 3, 2010; 3:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Armando Galarraga could have been a National
Next: Poor defense is catching up to the Nationals

Comments

That is the second time that Riggleman has failed to have a defensive team on the field in the ninth and it cost us a ball game. Leaving Guzman in right field for the ninth is a crime.

Posted by: Juliasdad | June 3, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@Juliasdad

Agreed.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | June 3, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

And what happened to Capps secondary pitches--splitter or whatever it is. I did not see the pitch to Lee, but everything in the ninth was a fastball. Everything I saw. It's like the intelligent approach that Riggleman was taking in the first two months has disappeared.

Posted by: Juliasdad | June 3, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

FIRE BUM RIGGLEMAN.

Posted by: trezmartin | June 3, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

WOW. this series has been one punch in the gut after another. thank goodness for strasburg, but i think another move or two is needed, and soon.

Posted by: jfnats | June 3, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I like Riggleman, but I think he has quit being able to separate what these guys can do from what they cannot. Just because Guzman can get clutch hits doesn't mean he can play the outfield. I think Riggleman had a problem taking Guzman out ofter what could have and should have been the game winning hit. But if he is the boss, he has to do that. It's his job. He has to put a winning combination--or the best combination on the field for a given situation.

Posted by: Juliasdad | June 3, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

If my math is right, in the last 8 games the Nats have given up 38 runs. But only 22 (!) have been earned. Just horrendous.

Posted by: Bethesdangit1 | June 3, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

That was a tough one. (Disclaimer: I went to bed before the end of the games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I might have said the same about them as well, had I seen those endings.)

As for the subject of this post, I'm just impressed that Dunn used "peon" appropriately. That one's big and strong, *and* he uses 50-cent words. :-) Also, sounds like maybe the F-Robby effect was in play when Dunn tried to talk hitting with Junior.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 3, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The defense absolutely went in the crapper on this road trip, particularly in HOU; 3 Errors in a game by a single Nationals player in consecutive games; WTF?

I've already brought this up on a couple of other boards, but Capps has been off his game ever since Pudge went on the DL (May 23rd); Is it just a coincidence?

Posted by: BinM | June 3, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Repost from previous thread:

The thing I don't understand about the bottom of the 9th is why Morse didn't come in to play RF and move Nieves (at least theoretically) to Guzman's spot in the line-up. Given Riggleman's tendency to make defensive moves with a late lead, I'm surprised he didn't do this. I know Morse is not as good a defensive outfielder as Harris (or Bernadina, who went out of the game when Desmond came in at SS and Guzman moved to RF). Keeping Guz in the game paid off when he drove in the go-ahead run in the top of the 9th. But he should then have given way to Morse, who has more outfield experience than Guz.
As it was, we had Guz giveth, and Guz taketh away. Sigh.

Posted by: bertbkatz | June 3, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Dunn may have used "peon" correctly - maybe now he can move to the English fundamentals - like using "well" instead of "good" as in "... but, it didn't work out too well."

Posted by: burnedonce | June 4, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse