All-Star voting still unkind to Nationals

In baseball's latest update on All-Star voting, the Nationals have still received scant support. Only one National, catcher Ivan Rodriguez, ranked in the top five at his position. He is third among catchers, about 90,000 votes shy of leader Yadier Molina of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Despite their lack of votes, several Nationals have made arguments for their inclusion in the sport's showcase. Ryan Zimmerman (third), Josh Willingham (sixth) and Adam Dunn (13th) are all among the leaders in OPS, and Zimmerman won a Gold Glove last year, but none of them ranked in the top five at their positions. (In Willingham's case, outfielders are grouped together and the top 15 is listed.) Willingham is second in the National League to Albert Pujols with a .428 on-base percentage, and Zimmerman is tied for first with a .599 slugging percentage.

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 2, 2010; 1:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Streak: A daily look back
Next: Today's lineups

Comments

Vote for your nats!

Sadly, 2 games against the Orioles will be my only taken in at Nats Park before voting ends. But I was able to punch in over a dozen ballots. Tip: if you stack them on top of each other, you can punch many many chads at once.

If you're lucky enough to get to the park, do your civic duty as a citizen of NatsTown!

And of course get your 25 votes in on mlb.com

Posted by: nattaboy | June 2, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I discovered an interesting little quirk while voting online. You can apparently vote twice for the same outfielder on one ballot. Here's how. Select Josh Willingham (the only Nats OF you'd want to vote twice for) via the checkbox. Leave one of your other two OF checkboxes blank, thereby only voting for two OF via the names listed on the ballot. (Your call as to whether Nyjer or Willie Harris is more deserving to be left off.) Then write in Josh Willingham OF on the one spot allowed for write-ins. Voila! Two Josh votes for the price of one.

As for paper ballots, I'm surprised Nats staff are not handing out ballots pre-punched for Nats to everyone as they come into the park, so that we can then stuff them into the ballot box. Or are they not allowed to do this?

Posted by: nunof1 | June 2, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Like nattaboy, I like to pick up paper ballots and punch them in stacks. One time 1b and I were returning a batch of punched ballots to RFK, and we were offering sample ballots to people as they came in. There weren't any takers, though. Of course, we were very careful to avoid hanging chads. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 2, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I've done my voting. I hope that last night's umpire is not at the All-Star Game.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | June 2, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

The results for shortstop show how ridiculous the voting is. Jimmy Rollins sits in first place and yet has only played in 12! games. If nothing else, it should be like amusement parks (or, actual MLB stats leaders): you must have at least this many games to be eligible.

I regret that I did not manage to pick up more ballots the last time that I was at the ballpark. I punched ballots during the game and turned those in at the end. Now to take care of 54 that I have at home. You better believe that I will be snatching them up (and punching them) every time that I am at the park between now and the end of voting. I know last year they had a thing with turning in ballots for "rewards". Anyone know if they are doing that this year?

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | June 2, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

For a country obsessed with democratic principles, we sure like finding ways around real democracy.

Presidential elections would be a lot more fun if MLB ran them.

Posted by: nattydread1 | June 2, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Apparently a lot of All Star voters have Chicago roots.

Posted by: wigi | June 2, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I haven't checked (just reading this article reminded me, but I am pretty sure you can vote everyday on MLB.com. didn't read all of the comments so maybe someone else already said this and yes it is a pain to remember to do this everyday, but you could be like me and have log ins for your wife and kids, then vote away!

Posted by: mfowler1 | June 2, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

The new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
====== http://goph3r.com/189 =====