Game 69 discussion thread: Nationals vs. White Sox

The Washington Nationals take the field today against the Chicago White Sox looking to end a four-game losing streak. A loss today would match Washington's longest slide of the season.

The Nationals (31-37), who have lost six of seven, are eight games into a stretch of 15 in a row against the American League, and this season Washington has gone 3-7 against the AL.

Starting for the Nationals today will be RHP J.D. Martin, who is 0-2 with a 4.19 ERA. Opposing Martin will be RHP Jake Peavy (5-5, 5.62), who won the NL Cy Young in 2007 as a member of the San Diego Padres.

Talk about the game, which will be televised nationally on Fox, right here on Nationals Journal, then check back for updates following the game.

By Gene Wang  |  June 19, 2010; 4:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ross Detwiler progressing nicely
Next: More on Riggleman's ejection

Comments

can anyone tell me why my FOX channel (I'm in Richmond) is showing Dodgers/Red Sox instead of this game? Its not on either MASN channel either!

Posted by: nomad2 | June 19, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I hate you,FOX!!!!! Go Nats. I have RedSox/Dodgers too.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I hate you,FOX!!!!! Go Nats. I have RedSox/Dodgers too.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to those of you who posted the Kasten interview on WTOP Friday morning. Definitely not a layup interview!

As someone who follows politics and local issues, I'm glad I never listened to that jacka$$ "moderator" Plotkin before. He asks a question and then talks and answers his question over and over again. Why bother having a guest on the show? Screaming sarcasm that dilutes both the question AND the answer.

Got to hand it Stan - he rolled with it for most of it and even threw some arrows back, to match the tone of Plotkin. I surely won't be tuning in to that "discussion program" again!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW - I am on DirecTV and have the game on Fox. Started this game's coverage at 4:15 after a pre-game show. Dick Stockton and Bert Blyleven on the call.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Don’t know if anyone heard the 1 hour radio interview with Stan Kasten on WTOP this morning, but wow it was ANYTHING BUT A SOFTBALL INTERVIEW!!! I found it absolutely riveting! http://www.wtop.com/?sid=611202&nid=524

Posted by: PNatsFan | June 19, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Have Fox on over-air antenna. (Ch. 5.1). Listening to C&D.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | June 19, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

White Sox defense has been impressive in the two games thus far. They certainly don't beat themselves. And watching Vizquel play 3B at the age of 43--incredible.

Meanwhile, Nats going quietly into that good midsummer's evening.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | June 19, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, some good Nats pitching going to waste for LACK of OFFENSE.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | June 19, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Haha. Dunn is hilarious.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 19, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Is FOX at least showing the Nats in the Washington Market?

I just switched off Bosox/Dodgers on general principle. Can't even watch Nats online. If I thought they might score a few runs, I'd be really annoyed.

Posted by: KenNat | June 19, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

yes, watching Nats on Fox right here in NW DC. On air, though, not on cable.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | June 19, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Plotkin is the pits. Really dislike him, and I DO follow politics. He tries to intimidate when he interviews, rather than get insight and answers.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | June 19, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Riggs ejected after about the 3rd time tangling with the ump.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | June 19, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

to run or not to run, that is the question.

Posted by: marathoner | June 19, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Very pathetic. Back to the Nats of old. If they get the hitting, they don't get the pitching, and if they get the pitching they don't get the hitting.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 19, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

The pitching not bad. But mannnnnn....the Lerners actually pay the rest of these bozos to play this game? Can I get paid to strike out and pop up balls and laugh about it afterwards?

It's at the point where I'm wishing september and the Skin's were here. Tired of this losing without any hitting. Three hits...woooF'nhooo...

Posted by: M20832 | June 19, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Has Zimmerman had a worse game at bat--ever??

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | June 19, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, way to go J.D. Martin. You just needed to hit a couple of homeruns to get the W.

Posted by: KenNat | June 19, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I like Riggleman but my patience is wearing out. How conservative can we get. Bunting Guzman when we've got a fast runner on first and a catcher throwing out about 15% of runners. We're losing anyway so take a chance. (I'm assuming Riggs was still calling the play from the clubhouse after his ejection)

Posted by: Nonno | June 19, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Don't think the Redskins will be much better. We'll still be losing without any hitting.

Posted by: Nonno | June 19, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nonno

Now that was funny! Made my day alittle better. Thank you Nonno.

Posted by: M20832 | June 19, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I remember a lot of Dunn roasters here in these threads. When is the Zimmerman roasting going to begin? His batting average was in the .330's or higher not long ago. After the 0-4 today, it's now in the vicinity of .290. I was disappointed to see him take that strike 3 for the 2nd out in the 9th inning today.

Just to make it clear, I expect the Z man to pull out of his slump, which is clearly central to what ails the Nats, and I will not do any further Zim bashing. But I rather expect all those who were jumping all over Dunn to begin giving Zim the same treatment they gave Dunn.

Posted by: bertbkatz | June 19, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

just back from the game. too many wasted opportunities, especially by our 3-4-5 in the first and last inning. great effort by JD, Burnett, Batista, Walker. just no stinkin offense. credit to Peavy, but very disappointing.

Posted by: DCguy7 | June 19, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I hear the White Sox are sending out a batting "T" tomorrow as their starter. Probably good enough for another shutout of the feeble nats. I guess Zimmerman will just stand there and look at it. I'd send that worthless bum to the minors. He needs to be embarrassed, but good. Loses the first game with his glove, the second with his bat (I know, what bat?) I guess the next thing he'll do is trip in the dugout and break Strasburg's leg. What a loser!

Posted by: lp_lodestar | June 19, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Man, this ain't good didn't see the game today(good thing i didn't)but as i posted earlier the Phils went through the same thing in a series against the Mets scoring two runs in four games. The thing Riggleman has to remember is that his team should hit as a lineup not as individuals each player should complement the other in their approach in each of their at bats,now to be truthfull they ran Lenny Harris out of town and he had a hell of lot less to work with than Eckstein and if you remember F.Robby's 05 squad that was a collection of castoff's that seemed to hit better and in my mind were better clutch performers. These last few weeks have been tough just when you thought they had some patsies(Astro's,Indians,Sox) those teams turned out to tougher then expected, these next few weeks leading up to the all star break are going to be a real test for Riggs and his staff and it may determine his long term fate with this club.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 19, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I've heard that Rizzo is going to make the players watch the "Kids Run The Bases" after tomorrow's game, hoping that it will make them jealous and fire them up!

Posted by: thepostischeap | June 19, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman is still one of the best fielders at his position in baseball. His bat is better than most.

Dunn on the other hand is a different story. As Posnaski suggested the team and franchise would be a lot better off if he were traded to an AL team like the White Sox for a couple of B level prospects.

IN the end its about the future, 2011 and beyond. Dunn and his glove probably won't fit.

Posted by: periculum | June 19, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Zimm should have let his bobblehead bat today. Time now for several beers and ten hours of sleep to get ready for tomorrow's matinee.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | June 19, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Was his bobblehead also smiling after a called third strike?

Posted by: M20832 | June 19, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse