Game 75 discussion thread: Nationals at Orioles

The day after perhaps their most disheartening loss of the season, 7-6, to Baltimore, the Washington Nationals resume their interleague series with their neighbors to the north in Game 2 of a three-game set.

Starting for the Nationals will be Livan Hernandez (6-4), who won his most recent start, rebounding from his worst outing of the season when he gave up eight runs, all earned, over 6 2/3 innings in an 8-3 loss to Detroit on June 16. Despite that rocky performance, Hernandez still sports a 2.82 ERA in 14 starts.

Brad Bergesen gets the start for Baltimore. Bergesen (3-4, 6.50 ERA) also started against the Nationals on May 22, giving up 11 hits and six runs, all earned, in five innings during a 7-6 loss.

Talk about the game right here, and check back shortly after the final out for updates.

By Gene Wang  |  June 26, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Livan Hernandez
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Defensive lapses a growing concern
Next: Frank Robinson among those honored

Comments

Good to see Riggs not pulling Livo after giving up 2 straight hits and bringing in a lefty!

C'mon Nats, we need this one...

Posted by: SCNatsFan | June 26, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

oh my goodness those jerseys are so beautiful. they should wear those so much more often.... like... every day.

Posted by: DudeItsEric | June 26, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

It looked like something was thrown at Willingham on the Adam Jones home run. A small white object came into frame from the left on a downward trajectory. Could have been a WMD: Weapon of Menacing Distraction.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | June 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Does my heart good to see those Senators unis in action. Would do my heart even better to see the Nats hold this lead.

My family would be grateful too, as I guess I've been a bit grumpy lately.

Posted by: KenNat | June 26, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Livo + 5th Inning = oy.

Posted by: HotNats | June 26, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Helluva pitch right there, though

Posted by: HotNats | June 26, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised they blew the 5-0 lead, but it happened sooner than I thought.

And since it's past the 6th inning, the bats have been packed away.

C'mon guys, surprise me.

Posted by: KenNat | June 26, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

How is it guys like Hendrickson, who has been lit up by everybody he's faced, are unhittable by the Nats????

Posted by: lesatcsc | June 26, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

lesatcsc, the Nats have the ability to make anyone look like Cy Young.

I try to remain positive then I make the mistake of watching the last two games. Here are your new Nats, same as your old Nats.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | June 26, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

And in comes Storen as we once again use the relievers for one or two outs at a time. The only guy Riggs has faith in is Willie Harris.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | June 26, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The only Harris I wanna see during this game is Theoharis

Posted by: HotNats | June 26, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Sooner or later Nats are going to run out of strange ways to let in runs - I hope.

Now lets get some runs.

Posted by: marathoner | June 26, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

As Marty Nolan once said of the Sawx:

The Senators killed my father. Now they're coming for me.

Posted by: Drew8 | June 26, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

What a shame... the hot start to the season looked like something they could really build on... just a couple of weeks ago when Strasburg first came up, it looked like a promising season...

Now, they really look like the 2008-09 version of themselves, being ever creative to search for and find ways to lose...

If they don't pull out of this tail spin soon, will folks even come out to watch Stras pitch?

Posted by: Ghost7 | June 26, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Deja vu all over again, as Yogi might put it. The Nats are really regressing to the mean. And this against a team that hasn't shown any fight all season. Very discouraging...

Posted by: NATurallyYours | June 26, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals have been masquerading as a good team that's having bad luck - but the fact is they are a BAD team that had a run of good luck.

Like the Redskins last year, they are operating under the delusion that they are better than they are.

Pathetic! Once again, a waste of my season ticket money - this time, shame on me.

Posted by: burnedonce | June 26, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Rigs & Co. have done a good job of jump-starting the comatose O's. Their greatest victory of the season last night, which they built upon with another come-from-behind victory today. ("Come from behind" and "Nats"--don't see those in the same sentence too ofte, do we?)

But keep plugging away, Rigs--if you can jump-start the O's, one of these days you'll be able to jump-start Willie!

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | June 26, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should get Zambrano. I'd love to see someone in a tirade in our dugout.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | June 26, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game today(at work)just as well, when you're a team that aspires to the level of .500 and you hit a rough stretch that's when a "team leader" step's in and takes over, losing to this bunch(the O's)is as I posted this morning "INEXCUSABLE" i've seen the Orioles enough to know that they are a bad ball club worse than the majority of AL&NL teams but you wouldn't know it when they play the Nat's. The thing that bother's me is that no one is stepping up in the Nat's clubhouse not Zimm,Dunn,or JWill("the three sluggers") yeah they hang out but do they hit when it count's and don't tell that one has most extra base hit's or that one is the face of the franchise, do they "LEAD" and by that i mean hit when it matters that is what is missing, someone who will speak and is heard by his teamates and is respected, imho that is what's missing on this National's ball club.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 26, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

After Friday's game I couldn't bring myself to watch today's game...and I see why...this one would have put me over the edge....as I said after yesterday's game, this looks like the beginning of a losing streak.....Atlanta then the Mets...9 in a row....

Posted by: pentagon40 | June 26, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pentagon40 | June 26, 2010 7:58 PM |

I'm with you and against you, Pentagon40.
I couldn't watch either. Took a nap. So did the Nats. But Jesus pitches Monday in ATL. That'll halt the losing streak. No nine-game slides with Jesus on the staff.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | June 26, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Now begins the steep descent to the bottom of the National League,once again.

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 26, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping for another #1 draft choice next year, along with a new manager - one who knows when to pull a starting pitcher, no matter what inning it is.

Posted by: gnatman | June 26, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I am a little tired of hearing players and management saying, "we are a good team, we really play hard, we are just about to break out". Bull S...! Had it not been a 15-10 abberation at the start of the season this team is no better than the teams of the last two years.

I thought Riggleman would make a difference. Instead we have Acta part 2. Pulling starters after 4 innings, replacing them with relievers who pitch to one batter, players who don't give a damn, horrible fielding, and players who don't know what to do with a ball when its hit to them.

Playing Willie Harris instead of Morse is insanity. Has Morse ever played two games in a row? He puts on a good face but you know he is dying to be traded to an organization where he can play.

I am even starting to wonder about Zimmerman. I am thinking that he peaked at 23 years old and will only be average for the rest of his career.

Losing two games to Baltimore after being ahead 11-0 in combined games cannot be excused.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 26, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

MKadyman: Couldn't agree more especially where Zimmerman is concerned, it almost appears that he is happy with his millions and and could care less about the team,earlier this season a post writer wrote about how the team was sooooo close and how much better they were now that certain people were gone(Dukes) well all that closeness seems to have bred a comfortability with losing, another article this week talked about how the three so called run producers all hang out together just the three of them maybe they should try some extra BP and increase their RISP statistics.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 26, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether it helps or hurts, but is anybody surprised that Dunn, Hammer and Zim hang out? It's no more surprising than if a couple or three Dominican players hang out. It's human nature, not to mention, the language. I wonder if Pudge bridges the gap a bit?

The last two days have been extremely painful, although it was a weird retro pleasure to see the guys with "Senators'' on their chests. (I told a friend at work that's why they lost.)

In spite of my hand bruise, a result of Friday night's debacle, it ranks to me as the second worst loss of the year. No. 1 is still Guz dropping the ball in RF when the Nats had come back from the dead in the top of the 9th in Houston. That took serious time off my life.

But then, I did survive a decade of the Senators.

Posted by: nats24 | June 26, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

"Well, we played hard, didn't make mistakes like yesterday. Gotta take your hat off to those those O's relievers (what were their names again?), they pitched a heckuva games. I did send Morse up to pinch hit, he popped up, did you see?" Yeah, whatever Riggs. You've got a crappy team and you're a crappy manager. Wake me up next time Strasburg pitches. That's about the only thing worth watching for the rest of this season.

Posted by: Section222 | June 26, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Never fear -- tomorrow the line-up will feature Harris, Nieves, Kennedy, Guzman while Morse remains in the doghouse for one base running mistake weeks ago.... whether Zimm peaked at 23 is still an open question -- but unless he moves closer to the plate that will be the case; the only pitches he can reach are mistakes on the inner third; anything else is a weak grounder or a K -- he just can't reach them and refuses to adjust and Eckstein doesn't have the clout to move him. But today was miles of progress for Desmond; he actually took ball one 2 times, doubling his number for the season. What I don't get is if we can see this as season ticket holders and TV watchers, why can't the Nats brass and coaches -- what Kool-Aid are they drinking?

Posted by: grclarkdc1 | June 27, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that was another tough loss. I did watch it, but won't see today's game until the replay airs, as I've got something else going on. Speaking only for myself, I'm gonna keep watching all season, regardless of whether The Chosen One is on the mound, because I root for the entire team.

Oh, and just say no to head case Zambrano.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 27, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

I think (hope) that the Nats' front office sees Riggleman as an interim manager while they wait for a real starting lineup to coalesce in a couple of years.

To me, the danger Riggleman's presence in the dugout poses is that he is miserable handling pitchers. He's on his way to ruining the confidence of a couple of the Nats' starters (STammen, J. D. Martin). This is something Riggleman specialized in during his tenure in Chicago.

Posted by: JohnRDC | June 27, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

natsfan1a1: I like you will continue the torture(that's what my wife call's it) hey we all weigh in on this blog daily because we're true fan's and we care, yes i pour over team stats looking for a glimmer of hope or where i can help(LOL!) i consider myself a real fan of this team and like many of you will continue to support our team. GO NATS!!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | June 27, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse