Guest post: Stat prediction winner

Scott Crane, one of the two winners from our "Predict Strasburg's Debut Line" contest, has sent us his guest post ... and here it is:

The Light at the End of the Dugout

Can you see it? It's coming out from the darkness they call "last place." No longer do you have to dream or even squint to see it. And it is becoming brighter and more exciting every day.

After suffering through a poorly run expansion team (Senators 1961-71), 32 years without our own baseball team (1972-2004), and two consecutive years (2008 and 2009) of having the worst record in Major League Baseball, fans of the Washington Nationals can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, or in this case, the dugout.

Under the direction of the Lerner family, President Stan Kasten, General Manager Mike Rizzo and Manager, Jim Riggleman, the Nationals leadership has given the city of Washington D.C. and their fans hope of not only a competitive major league baseball team in the present, but an exciting and winning one in the not too distant future.

With the arrival of several quality free agents (Rodriguez, Kennedy and Dunn), the all-star emergence of Ryan Zimmerman, the drafting of three No. 1s (Strasburg, Storen and Harper) and the continued development of several young players (Desmond, Bernadina, Zimmermann, just to name a few), it is only a matter of time until the Nationals make headlines as a consistent playoff contender.

More and more fans are entering Nationals Park wearing the red and white of "our Nats." Ballparks around the majors are reaching higher attendance figures because they want to see our team, filled with current and future baseball stars. When was the last time that happened in D.C.? Oh, maybe 86 years ago, when the Big Train, Walter Johnson, led our city to the World Series championship. With Stephen Strasburg aboard, could it be happening again?

And with this excitement, our chests will be sticking out proudly and our hearts will be beating a little faster for our baseball team, as we stand atop the "dugout steps" waiting for the next playoff train to make its stop in the Nation's Capital.

Let's Go Nats!

By Scott Crane  |  June 21, 2010; 10:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Perspective on the 11-24 slide
Next: Today's lineups

Comments

How many pseudonyms does Stan Kasten have anyway? Bob Carpenter, Nats320, Scott Crane, who else is out there to spew the company line?

Posted by: nunof1 | June 21, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Nicely done, Scott. Thanks for the optimism!

Posted by: NatsNut | June 21, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The post is a little pollyanish, but we shouldn't lose track of the positive. Things are improving in NatsTown.

Posted by: LandoverHillsBoysClub | June 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I would have written the complete opposite. Sure, there are positives, but the negatives and the missteps by the Lerners are many and egregious.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

This essay wins the happy talk prize but not much else.

Comish has it right. Looking at the Lerners' stewardship overall, the negatives and missteps outnumber the positives in number and degree. The squandering of a 22,000 season ticket base (it now numbers less than 10,000) is a serious and costly failure that will take years to undo, not to mentioned a poisoned relationship with the fan base, the District's business community, and the District government.

As for attendance, the Nationals are neither a home nor road draw. Those crowds are coming to see one person and one person only: Stephen Strasburg. And one pitcher does not a franchise make.

Posted by: Meridian1 | June 21, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Went to see SS vs WhiteSox and was amazed at the number of people decked out in Nats gear. It is a marked change from years past.

Put me squarely in the optimist column, ain't trying to hear all the negativity. Is it really that bad? Try driving North up 95 about 30 miles and watch that, now that is egregious.

Posted by: johnnybaconbitz | June 21, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to say how much I love Kool-Aid...

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 21, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many losses do the Nationals have in 2010 when the NATS starting pitcher throws a ball on his first pitch. If my off the cuff observation is correct more than 75% of the losses occur when the first pitch is a ball.

Posted by: crimsonmac | June 21, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Agree that this post is rather disconnected from the current state of affairs, but I was very happy to see the crowds at Nats Park for the Sox series (not just the SS game), both in numbers and the general enthusiasm level. Which made the outcome on the field all the more disappointing. But I think this weekend proved that the fans will come even at the slightest hint of a decent product.

Posted by: thelonghaul | June 21, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | June 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I didn't know Debbie Taylor could write that well.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | June 21, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It's really a shame when you become irrelevant. Remember how fun it was to check the standings when it mattered. And to check out other teams results that actually had significance on our standings. Yeah.
What hurts most is our free-fall came at the hands of the Astros, Indians and White Sox. Really putrid teams. Sad.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 21, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

This post is ridiculous drivel - Kennedy a quality free agent? There may be some cause for optimism, but overall the jury is still way out on the Nats as future contenders. Fan interest has indeed picked up and solely as a result of Strasburg. DC fans are very much bandwagon people and the buzz from SS has spilled over a little bit. I was at the stadium for Saturday's game and the attendance boost I think was from White Sox fans (many in the DC area) and a few thousand more people who don't pay attention enough to realize that SS wasn't starting that game - I'm serious there were quite a few people complaining about that!

Posted by: bendersx6 | June 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

GoNatsTerps, "Agreed longhaul, but I am guessing a ton of goodwill was squandered this weekend. But I have to admit, the team stores were packed."

If you are a baseball fan you realize that your team or any team can get swept, it happens. How that squandered goodwill I just don't know.

Posted by: johnnybaconbitz | June 21, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Dove, where ya been? I referenced you (and a few other regulars)...looking for the gimlet-eyed view you provide that unfortunately is probably closer to the State of the Nation-als. I wanna remain Pollyanna-ish but...my optimism grows dimmer, especially short term. Now, where's JayB and Peri been?And no. this post is not intended to be sarcastic. In addition to the flames, you bring a lot of knowledge that, agree or not, all us NJ'ers benefit from.
If anyone with the team reads us-to get a feel for what's going on with the fan base: See Meridian and Commish.
Whatever the long term prospects-even the short term....MAN, did they blow a GOLDEN opportunity
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Goodness people get a grip. Are we Nats fans so thin-skinned that a rough patch like this means all is lost? Heck, why not just pack it up and ship 'em back to Montreal. Why bother even showing up?

Look, 2010 is all about progress, not winning the division or making the playoffs. Anyone who thought otherwise is delusional. It's been a painful month, no doubt, but my god, its baseball. Teams go through stretches like this all the time. Yes, even good teams, like the Phillies, go through streaks like this and lose to teams they should, on paper, beat.

We've been losing for five years, why all the rage now? Especially when the team, as the guest blogger notes, is making progress? Get over your dreams of a 2010 pennant and enjoy the much-improved ball club. Or get off the train entirely; but I'm sure we'll see you when the team straightens the ship.

Posted by: rodeorob | June 21, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Nice job, Scott. It's nice to see some optimism in here to counteract the usual hysterical pessimism when anything goes wrong ("A losing streak?!?! Since when does that happen in baseball??? Zim isn't hitting! OMG! This has never happened before! It couldn't be that he's streaky!").

Posted by: joebleux | June 21, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nunof1 | June 21, 2010 11:07 AM

Scott Crane won his guest appearance so he can say whatever he wants although saying Kennedy was a quality free agent signing is a big stretch.

Bob Crapenter knows where his bread is buttered so his staying power is derived by a simple fomula of KISS BUTT=KEEP PAYCHECK.

Nats320 is a joke and everyone knows it including Stan so they keep him smiling from his perch so he looks like an independent. It was amazing to see him with Media credentials parading around the ballpark like a VIP. It has to be a stomach churner to real journalists to see Screeches Best Friend standing alongside them.

Posted by: dmacman88 | June 21, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Actually, rodeo-I think all the carping, whining, whingeing and bellyaching shows just how invested we are as fan(atics).And frustrated that with just a bit more, we could be legitimately decent instead of worryingly mediocre or ulcer inducing rotten.
Plus, it's better than....well, remember a few years back when Dallas Green was asked (after a particularly tough loss)what he did after a game like that? I think he responded (now thoroughly peeved by the stupid question)that he would go home and beat his (family member-apologies to all you female NJ'ers).
As fer me, I do tend to be a "half full" kinda guy, but I don't mind seeing, however indirectly, the Slow Lerners feet held to the fire!
All Hail The Rizz!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Last chance guys. July is going to be brutal. These next 6 games are our last chance to get our footing back. Otherwise it's a long slow roll down to the bottom of the hill.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 21, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Scott Crane is delusional!

Keep the Kool-Aid flowing, the LernerStank will say thank you, pat you on the head and tell you to be on your way!

From 28 June thru 1 July with the exception of the Brewers the Nats will play teams that are either in first or in the WC hunt. If the light at the end of the dugout, the opening is rather dim if you ask me!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | June 21, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"At some point the offense will pick up." (previous post)

This is a cornerstone of the optimists' credo, but wouldn't the statisticians amongst us accept that 70 games is a good enough sample size to get a line on the Nats' offense of 2010? What could change? Zim is Zim, Dunn is Dunn, Guzzie is Guzzie, etc. Presumably the X factor is Mr. Morgan. His performance will change, i.e., he will "get started," or Rigs will "get him started" (not 100% sure of this process).

Now there are other scenarios in which the offense could pick up, but these would involve changing the status quo, either by shuffling the players on hand (benching Morgan, e.g.), shuttling players between here and Syracuse, or the Lerners' opening their purse strings and bringing in new talent. But I daresn't pursue this line of thought any further for fear of seeming to criticize management.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | June 21, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and on a WAY off topic bit of baseball...thinking about our franchise and the potential resources available to it (hoping we're not perennial KC's, Clevelands,Pittsburghs, etc..)..and thinking about how DOMINANT the Yanks will always potentially be due to THEIR resources (especially after just finishing a book on Steinbrenner)...and the basic unfairness to those other teams, especially- but really to ALL of us in some ways....Well, I see the Rays owner has a big press conference today-presumably about getting them a new ball yard.
Hey! Move 'em to NYC! In fact, move the Marlins there, too! Give the Yanks some competition for the resources-the city had 3 teams when some of our other MLB cities were more economically viable relative to NYC, so.....
Just a thought-we can mostly ALL unite and agree about the Evil Empire, right?(And I ain't even a Yankee hater!...then again, I don't seem to hate/despise much of anything-not even Johnnie Fatstrada!...well, there is succotash....ugh! It's the lima beans...)
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

For godsakes, this is a GUEST POST! Curb the negativism and vitriol for a moment, or go hang out on political blogs.

Posted by: samantha7 | June 21, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

First of all, congrats to Scott on his victory in the Strasburg contest and for the courage to put his comments out there over his own name. Thanks to Adam for posting his comments here.

Scott, I do think you're being too optimistic, perhaps because you're taking an indefinitely long view (yes, the Nats will be playoff contenders, but when? This is a tough division and it's hard to see it happening in the next 1-2 years). But your perspective is still a welcome change from the knee-jerk pessimism of too many commenters who respond to every line up card by insisting that the manager be fired and the entire 25 man roster sent down to the minors.

Posted by: HHover | June 21, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I have to credit Nats320 for his unbridled enthusiasm, but his posts are too long and overwrought. The whole capitalization fetish drives me crazy: "Our Manager" "Our Beloved Third-Baseman" "The Defensive Play of This Game." Maybe his SHIFT key sticks on his laptop?

Posted by: RJD1 | June 21, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the Sunshine-up-the-tunnel optimism, but the mixed metaphor really clanked.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 21, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

> DC fans are very much bandwagon people

You know who are the real bandwagon people? The Cheap Lerners crowd. All it takes is one positive comment about the team and out they come in droves, like sharks circling around a single drop of blood spilled in the water.

Get a grip, folks. As they said on the X Files, the truth is out there. But it's neither as rosy as Scott Crane paints it, nor as bleak as the Cheap Lerners crowd is always so quick to counter with. Kool Aid comes in more than one flavor, Cheap Lerners crowd. You're drinking it too.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 21, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't mind all the envious folks here, Scott. They're in a foul mood because the team's slumping.
The Nats have pitching reinforcements on the way, so there is reason for optimism. As you said: "Let's go Nats!''

Posted by: nats24 | June 21, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The only real problem I see for the Nationals is that Strasburg is clearly a star, and clearly dominant. Sure he will have bad days, and he will get even better, but if the Nationals take another 3 years to really content - they will have wasted valuable Strasburg and Zimmerman years.

I think the future is NOW and they should proceed accordingly. Losing 8 out of 9 should be unacceptable.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | June 21, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

This is Scott.
Of course, I am being optimistic! What else can an Nats fan be, at this point, after two straight MLB worst record seasons. I see hope, on the horizon, and I won't let a 1/4 quarter season slump, that the team is currently in, diminish that 'vision' and neither should any TRUE Nationals' Fan. So, get a grip people and enjoy the little National fanfare our team is enjoying with Zimmerman, Strasburg, Storen on our side.

Posted by: NatsSince1967 | June 21, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@zendo: You inquired about the whereabouts of the likes of JayBee & peric/periculum/... They've both taken up Zuckerman's page as their primary base of late, FWIW.

Posted by: BinM | June 21, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The farm system is definitely improving ... still weak in the area of position players as the shortage at catcher would indicate.

However, the major league ballclub is not really all that much improved over last year. But no team hoping for a run at the playoffs should feature LIvan Hernandez as their ace, and then their #2. Talking about applying bandaids over gaping wounds.

This year Marquis and Lannan were supposed to bring veteran stability to the staff and rotation. Instead, they both looked worst, at times, than Daniel Cabrera. Were it not for the miracle of Pudge and Livan's spring this team would likely have a worst record than last year's team. Even with Strasburg and Storen.

Its surely time to trade some of these veterans for prospects before its too late. Build for 2011, 2012. That's the ticket.

Posted by: periculum | June 21, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Mr. Crane on his contest win and optimistic outlook.

Regarding the team's current record, as my husband and I were leaving the ballpark yesterday, he allowed as how this team was just as bad as last year's team (yeah, he's not as much into that smiling pitcher beverage as I am). I pointed out that, although they are in a rough patch, their record after 70 games was better than last year's. He thought I was, um, in error on that. But I looked it up this a.m., and it's true (can't wait to tell him that :-)). I'm not saying that there aren't issues with this team, but maybe that's why I don't feel as pained by this losing streak as I have at times in the past. Because we're not *the* worst team? Yeah, I'd like even more than that, and it was fun to check the standings earlier in the year and dream of being in it late in the season some day, but I'm not ready to jump off the roof just yet. Well, truth be told, I never am ready to do that due to baseball, because, um, it's just baseball. Priorities and all that. :-)

Re. Nats320 and credentialing, I believe that he is not the only Nats blogger who has press credentials this year. I read the 320 blog on occasion and happen to enjoy it, but your mileage may vary. I guess I don't quite get all the angst, because if one doesn't like a particular blog, one needn't read it, right? But that's just me.

Re. the crowds this weekend, I also wondered if confusion about the SS start date might be a factor. It did seem to me that there were a lot more Sox fans on Saturday than yesterday. On the newcomer front, I overhead a couple in the team store on Sunday, asking about the hat with the P on it. When an employee told them that it was a P-Nats hat, they misheard and thought he'd said "Potomac Navies," which they thought might have been the old name of the team. I explained that it was "Potomac Nationals," and that they were one of our minor league affiliates. They said something like, "Oh, we're new." (Yeah, I kind of figured that one out on my own. I figured that I'd save the explanation about the history of the franchise for another time. ;-))

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and stop me if you've heard this before (and apologies to the person who originally came up with it if so), but would not the theme from "Exodus" make a good 7th inning stretch song for Nats Park? Just a random thought that occurred to me at the ballpark the other day.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Ahhh, yes The LERNERS!Now let the record show-I refer to 'em as the "Slow" Lerners-not cheap! Just found an old Washingtonian-from '07-with a profile. Probably plenty in there to support both sides....but if Teds' love for the game is real (and I suspect it is) then my optimism regarding our future, long term competitiveness is well founded...that said, it was '07! Slow seems appropriate-maybe cautious would be more accurate. But for those of us starved for a relevant team (and someone to knock the 4-Skins down a peg)...jeez, you can build for future long term success(the "Plan"... which the Pirates and Royals ALSO have) while still fielding a winning squad in the present-they're not mutually exclusive....and it seem's to me that the money you'd spend would be returned via increased revenues. That said, reading that article-the Slow Lerners (sorry-it's catchier to me than cautious or conservative..or sensible) are DEFINITELY about maximizing the potential of their assets-which I believe means a perennial contender. Just wish they weren't so... err, "incremental" about it!
Let the fun rage on!!!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I do believe it was suggested on some slow rainy day in 2006 or so.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 21, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

D'oh! That's what I was afraid. Stupid memory...

---

I do believe it was suggested on some slow rainy day in 2006 or so.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 21, 2010 2:32 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

afraid "of"

Stupid submit key...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

DC fans are bandwagon people?

Name another market that has not seen a postseason game since 1933 that has better support.

Posted by: KenNat | June 21, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Wait, wasn't it you who first suggested it? Halfstreet?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 21, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Still gotta give the most credit to Cubs fans. I mean, no matter how good or bad the team looks they know one thing is certain: No World Series.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | June 21, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, please. Half the time, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. :-) Plus, Google won't cooperate with me *at all* this afternoon.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I feel for true Cubs fans, but their plight does not come close. They've seen the postseason in my lifetime, and several near misses. They are media darlings (it's fashionable to be a Cubs fan), and they never went 33 years without a team.

That's easy street from the Washington perspective.

Posted by: KenNat | June 21, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

All you negative fans should root for another team--I heard the Orioles could use some cheering(smirk)...
And somehow I bet you the fans that are always the first to leave when things go "south" in a game...

So for once, a fan is not afraid to be positive in this town! I am as excited as the writer about this team...it finally has players with real potential...now if you really are into a negative situation and want to drown in misery...try being a Redskins fan living through the past 10 years...now there is something to cry about!

Posted by: mareabe100 | June 21, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Dear Scott,

Allow me to congratulate you belatedly on winninmg the contest.

But please allow me to have a different take on the club's current 35-game slide. It is precisely because the Nats were so terrible the last two years that their play is disturbing to me. The way we've been playing since Strasmas is to me too reminiscent of the near-catatonic performance under the Great Helmsman Manny Acta before his dismissal at the 26-61 point of last year's season. If some of our reactions seem vitriolic, hysterical, etc. please keep in mind the trauma that we fans--the true as well as the untrue-- have endured and is no doubt coloring our perceptions.
And there's also the additional annoyance that comes from watching the Nats--having been granted their moment in the spotlight and the chance to rehabilitate their image both locally and nationally--fumble that opportunity.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | June 21, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

KenNat, and...and...they have a quaint old ballpark and delicious sahhhsage and other stuff that we don't. So there. :-)

In other news, I've probably said this before, too (Geez, what haven't I said already?), but the blog archives seem to go back only as far as 2007.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

CapPeterson, I can't speak for Scott (or anyone else other than myself), but certainly you are allowed to have your own take on the slide. We're commenters. That's what we do. After all, it's the Internetz and all that. ;-)

Seriously (again, speaking for myself), the fact that your take may differ doesn't make you more or less of a fan than Scott or any of us. (IMHO, YMMV, IAFOAT*)

*I Am Full Of Acronyms Today. (And I heard that, you weisenheimers).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and Oh yea-thanks, Bin....I've (of course) been reading on our "sister" site. And MAN! We're positively positive and genteel compared to the flames at the Insider as of late....
SO, Nyjer-time fer a hot streak! You too, Guzzie! Slump bustin' time, Zman and Hammer and Ian!
Let's GO, guys! Get fired up! Time to put it together like we know you can-to hear you all tell it, like YOU know you can!!! Quiet the naysayers, enliven us wretches whose happiness seems dependent on your performance (that'd be me). Cap the dang well, too! OK, OK-just win some ballgames. It's our turn to get hot-say 20 of the next 30!
WE BELIEVE!!!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-And then after my little foray into unbridled optimism, I read CapPete......Ach, so true, so true. Talk about yin and yang-sheesh..."the thrill of victory (ideally the Nats' future), the agony of defeat (our Nats' past reality)". Sometimes feels like that ski-jumper in the old Wide World of Sports intro, eh, Cap? Oh well, I'm gonna brave the heat tonight ...see y'all at the yard (I'll be wearing the '08 All Star Votes tee-shirt)..not that I'm done babbling here
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

It's peopple like commish, meridian and others that cost this city 2 teams in the past. They are also too willing to share their ignorance about baseball and building a competitive franchise. All the writer was saying is that there seems to be some light at the end. And there does. Well done Mr. Crane.

Posted by: ghstalcup | June 21, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-see, told ya I was still babbling....and not to call anyone out, but Gee, ghstal....I seem to remember the Senators #1 decamping because an owner, at least partially alarmed at both having to possibly integrate the team AND the stands (and with a player of color, surely that would bring in FANS of color-without the comfort of separate (of course, still EQUAL) seating... and #2 because the owner saw the chance at lots of money (factored in to #1 as well-the Braves in Milwaukee were making lots of dough in those years). To think that passionate fans would force an owner to move...seems to me that crummy products and hence apathetic fans are a more likely reason. Lets also not forget that back then even the mighty Yankees frequently drew only 5-10 thousand to a game. Different era,,,,,and if fans like those you mentioned were capable of driving away a team-seems they'd be just as likely to drive the owner to upgrade the team.
That said...while I may be a bit too fond of rose colored glasses....even the biggest flamethrowers make some valid points..if anything because they DO seem to understand the game-at least part of it-just like the rest of us. It's like that Kurosawa flick-Rashaemon-where we all see it from a different angle.
Ahh yes-spirited debate! As for me, I'll still be at the yard 20 or so times a year when we're lousy and more when we're not. So even if I'm not approving of their state, I won't be responsible for 'em leaving!(But Commish-seein' how you HAVE that power...can you instead get us some starters for starters...and an infielder as well.Chase Utley would be nice, although the guy from Toronto might be an easier mission. Meridian?-an outfielder from you!)
And ghstal? Keep reminding all of us to take pleasure in our no longer being so wretched that it was only shared misery and umbrage that kept us watching....after all, I'm the guy who had us winning 85 this year-and I STILL think a winning season is a distinct possibility!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ghstalcup

Uh, no - that would be, in order:

1) Calvin Griffith
2) Robert Short
3) Bowie Kuhn
4) Peter Ueberroth
5) Peter Angelos
6) Bud Selig

Highest prices in the league for a last place team in '71. Anything else I can help you with?

Posted by: Brue | June 21, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

ghstalcup and nunof - keep your unfounded opinions to yourself. I've been a season ticket holder since that day in November 2004 when they started accepting deposits for season tickets and have bought the full 81-82 game plan every year. So, you can shove your bandwagon comments.

You want to be pollannish about the team, that's your business, but don't get your undies in a bunch when someone calls you on it. You want to see a light at the end, fine, it is better then it has been. But there's no arguing that the Lerners did little in their first 3-4 years to improve the product on the field and 10,000 season ticket holders fled. Not because they are bandwagoners, but because they weren't going to commit to a team that didn't commit to them.

Adam Kennedy a "quality free agent" - he doesn't even start anymore.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 21, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Gee, my opinions were 'unfounded'. Thanks for the insight, comish. I guess that means yours are all firmly rooted in unequivocal truth. Which would make them not so much opinion as fact. I guess. And if things are so bad, and the Lerners have made soooooo many and egregious missteps, and you continue to buy season tickets, who is the real dummy?

Posted by: ghstalcup | June 21, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Ghstalcup - so, should a good fan quit the team or buy tickets, your two posts seem to contradict each other. I buy tickets because I love baseball and it's a great park - regardless of how good of a product our owners out on the field

As fornunfounded opinion, your opinions about me as a fan, are unfounded, I can guarantee that and my baseball knowledge can stand on it's own.

As for you, you cannot makena post without belittling or insulting me, so, I'll just put that out there for everyone else to ponder.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 21, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

comish-I'm sure you are a very fine fan and I appreciate that. But you are the one that told me to keep my unfounded opinions to myself.

I am a fan as well. Been so for along time. Maybe longer than you.

I think Scott got a bad break by having his piece published on the heels of a 6 game losing streak.

Enough said.

Hope Livan does well this evening. They will get out of this funk at some point.

Posted by: ghstalcup | June 21, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse