Ian Desmond's take on American League starters

The Nationals struck out 51 times during their horrendous, six-game, interleague road trip. That includes 32 times against the Tigers in games started by Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and Jeremy Bonderman. Well, power rules in the American League.

In his first road swing through the AL Central, rookie Ian Desmond came away impressed and, in explaining his thoughts, provided one of the best quotes of the season.

"They pitched really well," Desmond said. "Every starter throws 100 miles an hour. It just seems like over here in the American League, they're growing 100-mile-an-hour hard-throwing pitchers on a tree in their backyard. We got a tree like that. We're watering it. We're grooming it. It's coming along. It's just taking longer than everybody else."

Joking aside, the Nationals have been striking out an awful lot lately. Since May 15, they have whiffed 233 times, which is third-most in the majors.

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 17, 2010; 6:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: White Sox pitchers against the Nationals
Next: Taking Stephen Strasburg, and a win, for granted?

Comments

Yeah, and the other 29 MLB teams were logging on our lands for many years. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 17, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mo_dc | June 17, 2010 12:07 AM

Mo, I think it'll have to be this: http://tinyurl.com/6hzavg

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

And they spent several years doing bonsai. (*coughBOWDENcough*)

*****************
Yeah, and the other 29 MLB teams were logging on our lands for many years. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 17, 2010 6:50 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if we had two trees!

Posted by: chillsonic | June 17, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: Let's not leave out (coughMINAYAcough), who preceded (coughBOWDENcough) as the real enabler under MLB's (coughSELIGcough) attempt to contract the team.

Let's be honest, Selig is a knucklehead - he still stands as the Comissioner of MLB simply because the other owners see him as part of "the club" as a previous owner.

Nearly every move he's made (Inter-League play, the All-star game determines home-field in the WS, turning a blind eye to PED's, Montreal to Puerto Rico or threatened Contraction, two lock-outs / strikes, dissolution of the Umpire's union without clear hire/fire criteria) has been wrong-headed, imo.

Posted by: BinM | June 17, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I still say the DH sucks. The AL is as foreign to me as the Japanese league.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | June 17, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

"This isn't baseball; it only looks like it."
— Former Dodger Reggie Smith

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

(What, not a word about BearWhiz Beer?
"It's in the Water")

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Minaya gets credit for the clearcutting. Selig, for the Agent Orange.

Seriously, you're preaching to the choir here on that one.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess I should say I was lucky to be swamped at work today and missed today's game. I don't even want to watch the recording on TiVO. Just flat out hit "delete" and let out a sigh.

Minaya gets credit for the clearcutting because Selig said the forest was to be burned; Minaya said, might as well sell firewood before, not after, the fire!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 17, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Sec3,
Do they serve that at Duffys?

Wait... don't answer that. See you there sometime!

-----------
Posted by: mo_dc | June 17, 2010 12:07 AM

Mo, I think it'll have to be this: http://tinyurl.com/6hzavg
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mo_dc | June 17, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I think you're spot on with your criticism, BinM, but I kind of like interleague play.

I have some friends who are against it, too, but they've never been able to explain what makes it so undesireable. Could you tell me why you think it's wrong-headed?

(I'm genuinely interested in your rationale; I'm not just asking to be argumentative.)

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse