Merry Strasmas from Nationals Park

stras ballpark.jpg

That whole "Karmic reward" thing Stan Kasten has been talking about is looking more and more realistic. The weather today is nicer than the Nationals and the 40,000-plus fans coming tonight for Stephen Strasburg's debut could have dreamed.

Note the lack of bunting at Nationals Park. Also note, in the lower right-hand corner, the elaborate television set-up. That's ESPN, which broadcast part of "Baseball Tonight" from the yard. On the other side is MLB Network, which is broadcasting the game on national television with Bob Costas in the booth.

Ryan Bingham happened to be on the stereo on my drive in today. This lyric seems to fit: "Take yourself out of your mind / Open your eyes to the morning sun."

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 8, 2010; 2:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Streak remembered: Brian Schneider
Next: Nationals pick two shortstops, vaunted high school pitcher

Comments

For some reason seeing this shot reminded me of following the construction cam for Nationals Park religiously for about nine months before it opened. And then I thought of the night of Strasburg's signing in August 2009, when I was clicking "refresh" on Nats Journal every minute as the clock approached midnight. And then he signed at 11:58:43. This day is very cool to see. Finally!

Posted by: Section222 | June 8, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice post 222! It's gonna be a gorgeous night for baseball and for a new dawn for baseball in DC.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 8, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Man, I loved that stadium cam.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 8, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, the lyrics cited in the post brought another song to mind (snip):

Try to realize it's all within yourself
No-one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small,
And life flows ON within you and without you.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 8, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Tough day at work haven't been able to concentrate on a single since 8AM. I'll pay for it tomorrow!

My boss is going to the game too so he has been rather docile all day. Every time I walk into his office he has another SS article to jabber about.

Anyway 2 more hours until we make our way to the Pentagon Metro and then to the Park.
For anyone averse to crowds after the game suggest walking to 8th and I then head to Eastern Market Metro Station, did it on OD and saved ourselves from the abuse of the Filthy Fans but of course added about an hour to the commute!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | June 8, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I was just offered to free tickets to the Twins game tonight, but I just couldn't accept them.

So how should I follow the game? Bob and Rob on MASN (Extra Innings)? Costas on MLB network? Or should I hit mute and listen to Charlie and Dave?

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 8, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Funny, but all this is making me nervous. I keep thinking of Damon Rutherford, from Robert Coover's novel, "The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop." Brilliant young phenom, everyone loves him, he's pitching a perfect game on a beautiful spring day, the day the team is honoring his father, retired superstar Brock Rutherford.

It ends badly. Very badly.

Sorry. I always get the heebie-jeebies when everything is going so perfectly. I believe in the Johnson Effect, that says that random bad things happen as often as random good ones. And it's been nothing but good things for Strasburg and the Nats ever since he was drafted.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 8, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Click and drag the image to your browser address bar to zoom in. It's bigger!

Posted by: tailwagger | June 8, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

or you could just rightclick and view image

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"random bad things happen as often as random good ones" ...

that's way more "half-full" than I'd expect. By definition, most random things that happen are bad for any given POV. That's entropy for you.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

well, OK, most random things are neutral, I suppose, but of those that aren't...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@TippyCanoe:

Another travel tip to shorten that trip. Take the Circulator bus from Navy Yard station directly to Eastern Market. It costs $1, accepts smartcard, and picks you up at the second Navy Yard metro entrance (the one around the corner, not the crazy one on half-street). It will save you a good bit of walking. This also works for people looking to get on the Red line. The same circulator goes to Eastern Market (Orange/blue line) and then up to Union Station (red).

Living in the District, these Circulator buses have been a wonderful development. Nice upgrade to regular metro bus routes.

Posted by: jimmyd125 | June 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but this has gotten insane.
Babe Ruth himself would not merit this.

Here's my question: If Strasburg is getting hammered early in the game, how long do you let him go?

Posted by: Meridian1 | June 8, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

John - I'm gonna go for all 3. Charlie & Dave on my computer, and switch between MASN and MLB on the tube. That's when I'm not calling my lucky-jerks family who'll be in one of our usual LF sections...

Posted by: nattaboy | June 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert, no way does Strasburg roll 3 triple sixes.

(Cuz Willie Harris would change the last one to a 5!)

Posted by: Scooter_ | June 8, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg has to be throwing up right now. He's got to be nervous. I just hope he settles in and throws a good game.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | June 8, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Why weren't the primary elections cancelled for Strasmas?

Posted by: zadok1 | June 8, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse