Nationals draft pitcher Sammy Solis

The Nationals selected left-handed pitcher Sammy Solis with the first pick of the second round, the 51st selection overall.

Solis, a redshirt sophomore from the University of San Diego, went 9-2 with a 3.42 ERA this season, striking out 92 and walking 29 in 92 innings. Solis, 6-foot-5 and 228-pounds, missed almost all of the 2009 season with an injury. Solis will turn 22 in August.

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 8, 2010; 12:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Take over our Twitter feed (updated)
Next: The Streak remembered: Brian Schneider

Comments

I was hoping for a college pitcher like Brandon Workman or Brett Eibner so I guess this is ok pick... I'm not sure reconstructing the San Diego pitching staff will work in the majors. :)

Posted by: PNatsFan | June 8, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo finally gets his man -- drafted by Arizona in high school

Posted by: swanni | June 8, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Pnats - I'm not sure the Aztecs of San Diego State would appreciate being lumped with the Toreros of USD...and vice versa

Posted by: NATurallyYours | June 8, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Solis is from USD, Strasburg from SDSU.

Posted by: flotsam3 | June 8, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Workman might have been a safer choice. This guy was out for most of 2009 with a herniated disk.

Posted by: longhorn64 | June 8, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

And Stetson Allie would have been a more exciting choice. In Rizzo we trust, I suppose!

Posted by: Bethesdangit1 | June 8, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I can commiserate with the kid. I was out for our Fall 2006 softball league after surgery for a herniated disk. But I came back stronger than ever. As a matter of fact, this year I hit a double and a triple.

Posted by: GaryRosenthal | June 8, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You would expect that the Nationals with the top pick after Round 1, would select a blue chipper expected to be taken early that fell out of yesterday's group.

Solis missed the 2009 season due to injury. I can't imagine he was going to be the #1 pick in Round 2 of any other team.

Was he really the best available prospect considering health and position?

Posted by: leopard09 | June 8, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@AdamKilgoreWP -- The #Nats selected Rice shortstop Rick Hague in the third round.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | June 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, BA had Solis at #48.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

The brilliant part of the MLB draft, to me, is the unpredictability. Probably, somebody drafted in the later rounds, say 10+, will be in the HOF someday. "In baseball, you don't know nothing."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris once hit a double and a triple DURING an operation. In the same at-bat. (He was the surgeon, of course--steel can't cut Willie Harris)

*****************
As a matter of fact, this year I hit a double and a triple.
Posted by: GaryRosenthal | June 8, 2010 12:43 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Trying lightning twice by another San Diego product. Hopefully these guys learn how to pitch in DC!

Something that I could easily look up, but seemed odd upon first look: the first pick in the second round was Number 51 overall... 32 teams, which would mean 18 Comp A pick -- is this true that more 1st rounders in 2009 didn't sign than signed?

That's kind of wild to think about, eh?

Posted by: mo_dc | June 8, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping for Stetson Allie, first round talent, but you would need to pay. What should we care if they needed to pay him $3M?

Here is what Fanhouse said about him:

So where was Stetson Allie on Day 1? Nowhere to be found, that's where. Allie might have the best pure arm in the prep class, but his demands have caused him to slip. He is reportedly asking for upward of $3 million. At this point, he may slide into the later picks on Day 2 and could be picked by a big-market club that is willing to pay him what he wants.

Posted by: tcostant | June 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Nationals pick AJ Cole in 4th round.... According to the Baseball America May 3-16th issue he was the #8 overall pick (He was ranked #25 by BA as of June 7th)...

He is committed to Miami...

Would be great if they could sign him... but I doubt it.

Posted by: PNatsFan | June 8, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

He is committed to Miami...

Would be great if they could sign him... but I doubt it.

Posted by: PNatsFan | June 8, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@ tcostant
Stetson Allie was picked by the Pirates so good luck getting any money from them.

Posted by: PNatsFan | June 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"32 teams, which would mean 18 Comp A pick -- is this true that more 1st rounders in 2009 didn't sign than signed?"

Those compensation picks are for Type A and Type B free agents who did not accept tendered offers from their previous teams, not for unsigned first round picks from last year. For instance, Colorado got one pick because they lost Jason Marquis, a Type B FA, to the Nats.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 8, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

To PNatsFan:

I saw that, with the next pick after er sook Solis. I got to believe if they picked him, they will pay him. It was known what he was asking or he would have gone a lot sooner.

$3M isn't much for a top of the rotation SP.

Posted by: tcostant | June 8, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

With that size, too bad he can't play on the Caps blue line.

Posted by: stwasm | June 8, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks nunof1... I did a bit of digging after posting (sorry, a little lazy but i'm already distracted too much today for work) and it still is interesting how much of the draft has to do with signability...

I realize the draft is supposedly weak for position players, but it would be nice to build out our farm system for more support for all the great young arms we already have. Lots of 3-1 losses on our farm, which is not cutting it for the minors.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 8, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I guess the drafting of Solis, a guy who certainly will ask for more then slot, blows away the theory the Nats draft guys only on signability. I would expect a few posters on the board to ignore that fact or pray the Nats don't sign him.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | June 8, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Allie is a high school pitcher. Solis is projected to only be a year away from MLB ready. I think the pick has to do with development time.

I also think that if Stetson Allie's name was John Smith he'd be just another good arm in the draft.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 8, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Yep lowcountry -

No doubt your dead on, but do you want to end with the ML equilent of Josh Beckett or Randy Wolf, even if it took two years longer to the bigs. I'll always take a shot at special over good. Good guys can be had in free angency if needed...

Posted by: tcostant | June 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I think that's called "the gambler's fallacy" tcos.
a bird in the hand, an' a' that...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

They better be drafting first basemen. Anything to replace Adam Dudd. That t3rd couldn't hit a beachball.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | June 8, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Pony up for AJ Cole, Nats!!!

Posted by: JamWhitt | June 8, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Sammy solis injury is not that bad. It sounded awful because he missed the 2009 season. National were happy to get him because he will be 110 percent healthy when the training starts. His injury is very 100 percent treatable and only makes him stronger. its kind the like reinforming Truck chassis with additional alloy. I've seen this guy played before and he is very very good at it. He could be potentially be like Randy Johnson only younger.

Posted by: pioneer21 | June 13, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse