Predict Stephen's Strasburg's stats tonight

We're running a contest on Nats Journal in anticipation of Stephen Strasburg's debut tonight: predict his stat line for the game against the Pirates.

The prize: We'll publish a post from the winner on Nats Journal this month.

How to enter: Fill out the form below, including your name and email address. Hit submit. We'll announce the winner on Wednesday.

Notes:
- For innings pitched, use ".1" or ".2" for one-third/two-thirds of an inning.
- Limit one entry per person
- If there's a tie -- unlikely, but possible -- we'll select the winner by random.

Good luck!

Click here to load this Caspio Online Database app.

By Jon DeNunzio  |  June 8, 2010; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Stephen Strasburg
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's the night for Stephen Strasburg
Next: Video: Previewing Strasburg's debut

Comments

Great way to help with the hours until 7:05pm.

One question - how do you decide the winner? A point for getting each category right? Or close to right?

Go Nats!

Posted by: nattaboy | June 8, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Pitchcount could be a tiebreaker. Can you publish some of the predictions (anonymously of course). Mine:
5.2, 7H, 4R, 2E, 2BB, 6K
And I'll be happy with that.

Posted by: Section222 | June 8, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

6.1
7 H
3 R
2 E
1 BB
8 K (He has not earned the corners yet)

I hope he gets pulled during an inning (vs PH) so we can give him a good ovation.

Tie breaker could be how many times Mildge and Church strike out?

Posted by: Batboy05 | June 8, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

7 IP
5 H
2 R
1 E
2 BB
3 K

It's the Pirates, a AAAA team, so I expect stats similar to what he was doing in Syracuse.

I figure him to be efficient, just as he's been in H-Burg and Syracuse. So low strikeouts, lots of ground balls, low pitch count gets him to the 7th.

And one unearned run because the Nats are annoyingly sloppy when they're on the field these days.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

2 R
1 ER
2 BB
5 K
W

Posted by: Bethesdangit1 | June 8, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Heh - just noticed my post (and a lot of others) didn't include whether we predicted W or L.

Seriously, does ANYONE predict a loss?

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 8, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

This puts the cart squarely before the horse. But let's say Strasburg pitches 8 strong innings, the Nats lead 2-1, Strasburg has thrown 105 pitches or was pinch hit for in the eighth.

Who do you bring out to pitch the ninth?

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | June 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

6.0 IP
5 H
2 R
1 ER
1 BB
5 K
W

Posted by: WN81 | June 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Will these professional hitters (the Pirates, yes, but still) be waiting for him, out of pride, or will unfamiliarity and filthy stuff carry him? Will he have first inning jitters, and then settle down? Will they crush him (too) the third time through the lineup?
Is he on a short pitch count? (Probably <90.)

Be optimistic, or not? Hmmm.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

SorenKierkegaard: Stall and hope for rain.

Posted by: zaph | June 8, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Good point--who's behind the plate?
******
8 K (He has not earned the corners yet)
Posted by: Batboy05 | June 8, 2010 10:13 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

5.1 IP
5 H
3 R
2 ER
2 BB
6 K
No decision, with a subsequent loss by the bullpen.

Posted by: wahoo2x | June 8, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

6.1 IP
4 H
1 R
1 ER
0 BB
3 K
W

I pulled these numbers out of the air. Complete guesses based on nothing.

Posted by: NoVaSnow | June 8, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

No rain tonight! The stars are in alignment, the weather is outstanding, the creepy umpire crew is gone, as are the Reds...

We got sunny and 75, we got the Pirates--a team that is not too good but not too lousy with whom we must have friendly relations (good trade last year for both parties).

Standing room only crowd, Pudge is back in the line-up. Anything else we can do for ya, Mr. S?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | June 8, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

5 Hits
1 R
1 ER
5 K
2 BB
W

Is it 7:05 yet? I'm so friggin' pumped.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 8, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

6 IP
5 H
1 R
1 ER
5 K
4 BB (he won't get the corners and we already know he won't get the check swings)
No decision (Zimm homers late for the W)

Posted by: lowcountry | June 8, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

9 IP,
0 R,
0 H,
0 BB,
28 K*,
W
* = Riggleman pulls a quadruple switch for no reason in the bottom of the eighth which leaves Josh Willingham at catcher. The final pitch of what would be a perfect game is a curveball that gets away from willingham, so the runner takes first despite the K, blows the perfect game and SS needs to strike out 1 more batter. All this in about 92 pitches (I mean, lets not get crazy- he has to throw a couple balls or have a foul tip or something- no way he does it in 84 pitches).

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | June 8, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Today is like a holiday. So much hope for the future.

I am expecting a solid start & W

6.1 IP
4 Hits
1 R
1 ER
6 K
1 BB
W

Posted by: dmacman88 | June 8, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

cheeseburger53 wins the post.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@ SorenKierkegaard : I don't think they'll let him go past 6 IP no matter how well he's throwing. I also don't think they even let him hit 100 pitches- once he hits 90 I think they pull him no matter what.

If it were me, I'd give Storen the shot to close now- why wait? This is why you drafted the kid 10th overall. I think Riggleman is going to stick with Capps, then go to Clippard once Capps becomes unbearable.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | June 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Second that. Very funny, even if it did make my guy the Hammer look kinda silly. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 8, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

WTH. Let's go optimistic.

6+, 4, 2, 1, 2, 7, W (I would say ND but I want to see a pie and the wig); 94 pitches, 65 for strikes; 1/2, 1 sac. hitting.

____
and I'm submitting down here because, hey, you publish posts from me in here every day, you freebie cheapskakes.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 8, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, wow, what a prize: "We'll publish a post from the winner on Nats Journal this month."

I was wondering how you get a post to show up here. Now I know. Huzzah!

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

It's crossed my mind how cool it would be if Strasburg went 8 and Storen got the save. It might even happen.

I don't think Storen should be the closer, but Capps could use a save situation off and that would just be too perfect.

Posted by: nattaboy | June 8, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

So the winner gets published---big deal, you cheapskates at The Post. How about a seat on the Board? Or a dinner invitation to the home of Katharine Weymouth?

Posted by: MrBethesda | June 8, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

6.2
5h
1r
1er
7/8k's (forgot what i put)
2BB
W
.... i like how everyone is right around the same thing watch it be like 3.1 , 9 er , 1k , 5BB and be madd shaky but i think he stands a better chance of throwing a perfect game than that

Posted by: minkz101 | June 8, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

When I win, just send me a Strasburg t-shirt. Write your own post LOL

5.2 IP
4 hits
2 runs
2 ER
3 BB
6 Ks
W

yeah a W is a reach, with the bullpen of the last week.

oh, t-shirt is XXL, tyvm. Hiccccup.

Posted by: opinionatedinfairfax | June 8, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I filed right before first pitch ... and I can't win anyway, just wanted to join the chorus:

5.2
7 H
3 R
2 ER (you know they're making an error)
0 BB
5 K

Would not be surprised at all if his first start was kinda mediocre.

That hook is nasty.

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | June 8, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Nobody really came close to 14 Ks 'cept Cheeseburger (28), but sec 3 ...

I think he's right on 94 pitches with 65 strikes through 7. And Clippard is on in relief.

I think that's gotta be your winner right there.

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | June 8, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

So I guess that means I get to post in here again! Or a dinner invitation from the Weymouths.
I'll settle for a beer from Svrluga at Duffy's, by the 9:30 Club.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 9, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse