Ivan Rodriguez makes history

Since debuting in 1991, Iván Rodríguez has (somewhat quietly) piled up some impressive numbers.

He's closing in on 3,000 hits, has caught the most games in major league history and on Tuesday night he set another lofty mark - one that hit close to home. Already one of the most adored athletes in his native Puerto Rico, Pudge broke Puerto Rican legend Roberto Clemente's record of games played by a Boricua, appearing in the 2,434th game of his 20-year career Tuesday night.

"I just got to thank God for that," said Rodríguez, who was unaware of the record until asked about it. "To have passed a figure like Clemente is something very special. He was a hero for [Puerto Ricans] and for us he continues to be a hero."

Rodríguez, 38, broke Carlton Fisk's record of 2,227 games caught last June and now has caught 2,329 games. The 14-time all-star has 2,762 hits -- 238 away from reaching the 3,000 hit milestone -- something Clemente reached in the final game of the 1972 season before dying in a plane crash later that year.

Cuban Rafael Palmeiro sits atop the list for games played by a Latino with 2,831.

By Jorge Castillo  |  June 23, 2010; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Ivan Rodriguez
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Josh Willingham hits 100
Next: Stephen Strasburg's fourth start: A hot day for a hot pitcher

Comments

Good stuff, Adam.

Last night, on the occasion of Willingham's 100th HR, Dibble asked Carpenter if any other Nationals were approaching significant career milestones. "Guzman is three home runs shy of 65," Carpenter quipped.

I only caught the TV broadcast after the rain delay. Did they mention Pudge's accomplishment on the air? If not, swing and a miss by the MASN team.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 23, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Carp also called Yuniesky Betancourt "Rafael Betancourt" and said the Royals had runners on second and third when they actually had runners on first and second. The other day, Dibble kept referring to home plate umpire Gerry Davis as "Jerry Layne" (who is also an MLB umpire but who was not in the stadium). I know nobody's perfect, but Crap and Dribble take it to a new low.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | June 23, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't recall hearing it mentioned on the broadcast. That said, I wonder whether any whiff(ing) might apply to the person(s) who prepare the game notes each day, rather than to the broadcasters.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

fwiw, I just looked at yesterday's game notes, which are still on the team site, and didn't see the (Clemente) milestone mentioned there. Perhaps it will be in today's notes, which aren't up yet.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

To me, Carp and Dibble are very entertaining. Dibble is excellent on pitching mechanics and strategy, and certainly "tells it like it is" (ex: Lannan's a nice guy but is not doing his job"). Both are rooters for the Nats, and I like that. As bad as the Nats were last year Bob&Rob made the telecasts viewable/bearable. Even Vin Scully mis-speaks sometimes.

Posted by: bogyfre | June 23, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

OMG! Carpenter and Dibble misspoke! Fire the jerks!

I challenge anyone here to talk about any topic of his choosing for three hours nonstop 162 days a year, most of the time extemporaneously, without regularly saying something incorrect or even downright silly.

Any takers?

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll be ready to fire Dibbs if he credits Keith Olbermann one more time for the "he's day-to-day...aren't we all" quote. As far as I know, Scully had that one first.

Posted by: joebleux | June 23, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

joebleux

Nobody is original. Who cares?

Posted by: richs91 | June 23, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the real quote is "Aren't we all just day to day stealing others' material?"

Posted by: nunof1 | June 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

joebleux, thanks for the attribution. I didn't think it was Olbermann, either, when I Dibble him say that, but I couldn't recall who'd said it. (And I like Dibble and Carpenter, too.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Well. Evidently the heat has melted my brain. I meant to edit that to say "I heard Dibble say that" not "I Dibble him say that." Is it a good sign or a bad one when you make yourself LOL? In any case, I just did. Try doing that some time. I Dibble dare you. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Rodríguez, who was unaware of the record until asked about it."
If he didn't know about it himself, I think the TV crew gets some slack here. Would have been good for the team to bring up, but our expectations there are still pretty low.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

1a: sure, blame the heat.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

sec3, It ain't the heat; it's the humility.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that was on purpose. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

1a: scarily, your sentence made absolute sense to me the first time I read it (still does ring correct, actually, in an odd kind of broadcast booth/Pidgin English way)

Posted by: joebleux | June 23, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL; thanks, joebleux.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I think that longevity records are going to be suspect in this era, like so many other records. I'm just happy that Pudge is catching for us now.

As for the TV crew, I admit Dibble is a guilty pleasure of mine, although that comes with periodic cringing. Then again, spending time reading and commenting on all the Nats blogs, including this one, is also a guilty pleasure, and we all can be cringe-inducing at times.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | June 23, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

So does "Boricua" mean a person from Puerto Rico? Just askin'.

Posted by: Section109 | June 23, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

The term boricua has become synonymous with Puerto Rico's native heritage. The island's national anthem, for example, is La Borinqueña. The term comes from the Taíno (the Indian tribe was already settled here when Columbus arrived) word for the island: Boriken. You'll see and hear boricua everywhere in Puerto Rico: on restaurant menus, in songs, in everyday language.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks very much, Sec3mysofa.

Posted by: Section109 | June 23, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I definitely don't blame Carpenter and Dibble themselves. The MASN crew overlooked this. I'm sure Carpenter would've mentioned had he been made aware of it.

-----