Ross Detwiler recovering with Harrisburg Senators

Ross Detwiler continues to recover from February hip surgery, appearing in two games with the Harrisburg Senators on June 13 and June 18. The left-handed pitcher allowed one earned run in 7.2 innings, including eight strikeout and two walks. Detwiler said he is suffering from back spasms, but his hip does not present challenges.

His time in Harrisburg is important for his recovery. Although Detwiler has been productive in limited action, he admits there is still rust after sitting out for three months.

"Especially with my off-speed pitches," Detwiler said. "I'm just trying to get a feel for them now. I think the curveball has been up a little a bit. ... Changeup is starting to come around now. What I'm looking for now is really location with fastball and being able to get the curveball down when I need it to. And get contact with the changeup. Not great contact, but groundball, pop-up contact."

A 2007 first-round pick, Detwiler entered spring training with an opportunity to earn a spot in the starting rotation. Although he was 1-6 with a 5.00 ERA in 15 games with the Nationals last season, he went 1-1 with a 2.08 ERA in four September starts.

Detwiler said he frequently answers questions from reporters, teammates and friends about how he fits within the Nationals' plans. The team needs starting pitching, and Detwiler is among a collection of arms expected to be ready for the second half of the season.

"The thing I want to do is do well here to make a harder decision on them later on down the road when they have to make a decision," Detwiler said.

He always has those four starts in September, though, which he holds closely as an example of how he can succeed in the major leagues. Detwiler's first stint last season was unsuccessful, and he recovered to pitch effectively. He has paid attention to the team this season, noting the team's improved defense will allow him to throw more sinkers and have confidence in the players behind him.

"I always replay it in my mind," Detwiler said. "I think I figured out how I need to pitch in terms of throwing off my sinker, not trying to throw too hard. I think a lot of it, right around the All-Star break when I got sent down, was I was overthrowing. And when I overthrow, I keep the ball up and it's a lot easier to hit that way, especially in a major league game. My focus in September was keeping the ball down."

By Zach Berman  |  June 28, 2010; 12:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest post: Stat prediction winner II
Next: In-game chat: Nationals vs. Braves

Comments

Improved defense?

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | June 28, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Improved Defense my......

Posted by: JDB1 | June 28, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Geoff Morrow has a good article here on Harrisburg Senators mid season report card http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2010/06/commentary_mid-season_evaluati.html

Posted by: PNatsFan | June 28, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully one of these vaunted pitching prospects from the Bowden era can come in and finally make a difference.

It still looks like too much of the future is riding on Strasburg and Harper despite YEARS of drafting high and trading players for prospects.

Still no one on this staff has emerged that looks to be a genuine riser to match with Strasburg.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | June 28, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | June 28, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, thanks for paying attention, Zach.

Ross D. still suffering from back spasms, but hip is getting better? Feel sorry for this kid, but he's part of the cavalry that's going to be coming in a "couple of weeks," according to some? Someone's going to have to help him onto his horse before he can lead the charge.

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | June 28, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, according to baseball-reference.com, the defense IS improved from last year - at least the fielding percentage.

Last year was .976.

This year is .977.

Progress!!!

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 28, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll take anyone to prevent hearing "Matt Chico or Craig Stammen will be taking the mound".

Posted by: TheycallmeThriiiiiiilledge | June 28, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Chances are you'll see Stammen weasel their way back into the rotation at some point this season. I'd take Stammenator over Lannan at this point.

Posted by: TheMichael | June 28, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I respectfully disagree Michael...I think I'd take someone off GW's squad before Stammen. If him or Lannan keep throwing, there wont be anything left of the fence at Nats park from getting hit by so many seeds.

Posted by: TheycallmeThriiiiiiilledge | June 28, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

We need to Stammen back up to pinch hit for Dunn with runners on and two outs:

Stat:

"[Adam Dun] is 0 for 26 with three walks with runners in scoring position and two outs. (Craig Stammen is 3 for 5.)"

Posted by: Kavorka | June 28, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

That's usually what happens when you change your plate approach and try to yank the first fastball you see over the fence....

Posted by: TheycallmeThriiiiiiilledge | June 28, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"I think I'd take someone off GW's squad before Stammen. If him or Lannan keep throwing, there wont be anything left of the fence at Nats park from getting hit by so many seeds"

If that's your idea of English, I think you probably went to GW.

Posted by: flotsam3 | June 28, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Before clip n save turns into slip n slide, Tyler needs to pay attention to the logic of Detwiler, realizing that overthrowing tends to keep the ball up.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 28, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse