Stephen Strasburg's fourth start: A hot day for a hot pitcher

The Capital Weather Gang's NatCast calls for "super hot" weather for today's 4:35 p.m. game against the Kansas City Royals. The temperature is expected to be in the mid-90s for the first pitch.

The combination of pitching phenom Stephen Strasburg's fourth start and steamy temperatures prompted the Gang to ask:

By Alexa Steele  |  June 23, 2010; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Stephen Strasburg
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ivan Rodriguez makes history
Next: Today's lineup

Comments

Seriously?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

If he throws a heater, he'll beat the heat (it's only 93 now), but if he throws his two seamer or an off speed pitch, the heat will triumph. Somewhere, someone is taking odds on this.

Posted by: Section222 | June 23, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I'm used to us being a big favorite in any game but I like the feeling. Here's hoping SS can get used to the humidity - I don't suppose he's had much experience with it playing in SD or in fall AZ league.

Posted by: natslifer | June 23, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

'Tis the hottest Strasmas on record.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | June 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

He has a chance of beating the heat with his two-seamer, it can get into the high 90s at times.

Posted by: 202character | June 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I am excited to bring out of town guests to this Strasmas event. Of course, when I first got the tickets, it was a piddly mid-week day game against the Royals!

I figured I would get VERY cheap tix on craigslist from someone trying to dump them, but then the calendar had scalpers holding on until an announcement would be made.

Well, since my guests arrive at DCA, we will be a little late, and knowing how SS operates, the game could very well be over by 7:00! It'll be hot the whole (quick) game. My prediction -- he gets 10 Ks in 6 innings, pulled because of the heat. 1 R, 0 ER, and a Nats 3-1 victory for the SWEEP!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Nooooo!! You did not just type the "S" word. Please forgive mo_dc, almighty baseball deities. :-)

On a somewhat related note, my Chicago baseball buddy (AKA 1b) will be joining us for some games at Nats Park next month, with tickets bought months ago before SS was even called up. Even though we didn't plan it that way, I think 1b may have hit the jackpot as well.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

OK, mo, you're on:
5.2-3-1-1-12-0
87 pitches, 55 strikes.
0-2, 1 sac bunt.
2-1 lead when he leaves.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

That'll never work. You've got to cut the head off a live starfish.

***********************
Please forgive mo_dc, almighty baseball deities. :-)
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:45 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Whoop de woo. How many milkshakes will the Gifford's stand sell today? Now, *that's* some prognosticating. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Geez, and me nowhere near the ocean. Would a stuffed plush chicken do in a pinch? (Don't ask.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I give up. What would a stuffed plush chicken do in a pinch?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

um, good question. Run, maybe? To get to the other side, natch.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

What gifts will we get on the fourth night of Strasnukah?

Posted by: joeking1 | June 23, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse