Today's lineup

As Manager Jim Riggleman promised, both Adam Kennedy and Willie Harris are back in there today.

Nationals

6. Russell Branyan, 1B
7. Jhonny Peralta, 3B
8. Luis Valbuena, 2B
9. Jason Donald, SS
-- Fausto Carmona, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 12, 2010; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Streak remembered: Jose Guillen
Next: Stephen Strasburg's next step

Comments

I simply do not understand why Morse isn't in this lineup.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 12, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Willie DHing and Willingham in left??? Willie still batting 6th? Morse not in there?
Does he want to lose?

Posted by: amo36 | June 12, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow first pitch, first AB for Bostons Daniel Nava and he hits a grand slam. What a great story.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | June 12, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Not even worth bothering anymore. Worst lineup of the year. Six thru nine are complete death holes. Riggs has retreated into a world of his own.
By all means reward Kennedy, who cost you the game yesterday, and continue to ignore Morse, who is an assset. Book an L tonight.
These are on Riggs. Sad. Whata joke.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman must be so much smarter than everyone else, we can't even fathom it.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Willie Haris again??? And as DH? The man CANNOT hit, why put him in a hitter only spot? Even if you get him going, he's a career .242 hitter. It's just not worth the effort.

I love a manager that sticks with his convictions, as long as he takes responsibility for them. Why don't the Nats put it on the line for Riggs, Willie goes o fer and you go looking for a new job!

Posted by: lesatcsc | June 12, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Another interesting tidbit. Amony the 171 NL hitters with 75 or more ABs, Wil Nieves and Willie Harris rank 166 and 167th. Incredibly thereare actually a handful of guys hitting worse. Mind you, they're all on different teams, so they never end up in same same lineup at the same time.

If I'm J.D. Martin I'm thinking I have to be perfect tonight...

Posted by: lesatcsc | June 12, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to playing "the hot bat"? See Guzman earlier this year playing right field and shortstop!!!??? Now we see a slumping Guzman (no power or speed), Harris hitting .170, Nieves who should be a third string catcher because of his weak bat. Kennedy at least is hitting .248.

Posted by: periculum | June 12, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Another interesting tidbit. Among the 171 NL hitters with 75 or more ABs, Wil Nieves and Willie Harris rank 166 and 167th. Incredibly there are actually a handful of guys hitting worse. Mind you, they're all on different teams, so they never end up in same same lineup at the same time.

If I'm J.D. Martin I'm thinking I have to be perfect tonight...

Posted by: lesatcsc | June 12, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

We're essentially playing by NL rules, not using a real DH--- Willie Harris is taking the pitcher's place in the lineup. We have a couple of pitchers who might do as well. Riggs must see something I don't.

Posted by: Slidell | June 12, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm past discussing Harris. Levo is a betta hitter. But he's Riggs' boyfriend so whataya gonna do?
But what about Nieves? I mean we know he can't hit but the Pirates ran him ragged the other night...like 4 stolen bases and how many of his throws went into CF? Why is he still on the team. My kid in RBBA could do better. Bring up a freakin catcher already.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand playing Willie Harris, for a second day in a row--now as a DH.

I also, tho, don't understand the carping about Nieves--Pudge can't play every day, and tomorrow is an afternoon game with Strasburg pitching. What exactly was Riggleman supposed to do?

Posted by: HHover | June 12, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

And by my count Adam Kennedy, the great pro, defensive infielder, that Rizzo bragged so much about, has cost us, I believe, 4 games already because of errors. Nice.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Sign me up for the crew that is against Harris being in the lineup. On a bright note, he won't be pinch hitting and striking out later in the game, now he'll be doing it all game long.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | June 12, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

>>What exactly was Riggleman supposed to do?Posted by: HHover

Play the new guy---Burke I think his name is. He can't be any worse. And Rizzo has to cut or send Nieves down and bring up another guy. Nieves is worthless.

Tonight is gonna be ugly. I'll pass.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Nieves I can understand. We ain't got nobody else.

Why can't Morse be DH? He also looked pretty good in RF the other night catching that foul ball.

I hope for JD Martin's sake the big, powah boys don't have silent bat syndrome again!

Will we make the Tribe look like a front running team again?

Posted by: M20832 | June 12, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm changing my stripes. Not only do I want Willie Harris in the lineup and playing CF or LF every day, let's let him bat lead-off or clean-up. Come on Riggs. Stop playin around. Stick Willie in the power slots and let him ride.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Zuckerman reports on Rigg's explanation for the lineup over at Nats Insider. I don't agree, but he's got a reason. I guess since Morse has been successful as a pinch hitter, he doesn't need a start, but since Harris and Kennedy have been awful, they do. Oh well.

Posted by: Section222 | June 12, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Hah, and youse guys used to give me all sorts of grief for pushing Morse and Martin ... I love vindication ... makes my heart sing.

Posted by: periculum | June 12, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine if Riggleman put this lineup behind Strasburg and he took the loss because of it. Man Riggs would be run outta town. But Martin? Well, guess you're the sacrificial lamb. 2 bad it's gonna cost us a victory.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

BTW I think Riggs is pi##ed off at Morse for making his boyfriend Harris look bad, you know on that soft-liner bases loaded double play. It wasn't Harris' fault for killing the rally according to Riggs, it was Morses fault for getting caught off 2nd. So I guess he's in the doghouse now.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 12, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

When r u guys goin to understand all Riggs cares about is the lefty righty matchup. I dont think he even knows what Willie Harris' stats are.... BTW how has Willie been able to stick around in the big leagues this long? career .240 hitter no power. already in his 30s. Hopefully this is his audition to determine if we keep him on our club through next week. BRING UP MENCH!!!

Posted by: natsfan43 | June 12, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Jamie Burke was DFA'd four days ago, presumably on his way back to the bus league.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 12, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse