Today's lineup

Michael Morse returns to the bench and Roger Bernadina is in right field again against Royals right-handed starter Anthony Lerew, who has a 3.00 ERA and some kickin' sideburns. Manager Jim Riggleman is committed to that platoon -- Morse against lefties, Bernadina against righties.

Adam Kennedy gets only his fifth start in June as Ian Desmond gets a day off. It's probably a good time, from an offensive standpoint, for Desmond to take a breather. He is 2 for his last 24 with a double, a walk and a hit by pitch, which has dropped his season average/on-base/slugging to .256/.290/.388.

Nationals
1. Nyjer Morgan, CF
2. Cristian Guzman, SS
3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Adam Dunn 1B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Ivan Rodriguez, CF
7. Roger Bernadina, RF
8. Adam Kennedy, 2B
9. Luis Atilano, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 22, 2010; 2:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A quick update on Chien-Ming Wang
Next: Mike Rizzo on the trade deadline, Adam Dunn's contract extension

Comments

why, why, why? Bernadina has virtually no platoon split, while Morse has a wicked reverse split.

Posted by: FriendofalltheWorld | June 22, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't Pudge be better off behind the dish??

Posted by: Intrudr | June 22, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I noticed those sideburns on the preview last night. Very 70's.

Intrudr, you didn't hear about the Morgan/Rodriguez platoon? Try to keep up, 'kay? :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 22, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Two Center Fielders...cool, although there could be a bunch of passed balls

Posted by: ed_kelleher | June 22, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

roger should be in cf with morse in right imo, its time to shake it up

Posted by: bford1kb | June 22, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

>Manager Jim Riggleman is committed to that platoon -- Morse against lefties, Bernadina against righties.

He's got an excuse for just about everything. No wonder he managed so many sorry teams. Starting to see his mediocrity. I don't think he's a decent judge of talent, bottom line. There's no substitute for hitting the ball out of the park. Especially when the team is last in the league in hitting. Ridiculous. He's got three 'leadoff' hitters - Guzman, Morgan and Bernadina, yet for some reason he doesn't like Guzman's .310 OBP or thereabouts, and he calls Bernadina an RBI man for some reason. This is like having 4 second basemen on the roster - Harris, Gonzalez, Kennedy, Guzman. Sure, they can play other positions, but that's not where you get maximum value out of them. Just like Bernadina - just because you don't have enough balls to bench Morgan, which would show up the GM and wreck his big trade, you don't call him an RBI man, because he's a leadoff hitter - max. value.

Posted by: Brue | June 22, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Good thing they got Morse outta there. You certainly don't want home run and RBI guys in our lineup. We might actually score. Hmmm, Nieves, Kennedy.....now if they could only find a place for Willie, then the trifecta would be complete.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 22, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Previous post:

"...Alan Nero, one of Wang's representatives and the managing director of Octagon's baseball division."

I'm sure James Bond has already had at least one unpleasant encounter with Mr. Nero. And when will he meet the evil genius behind Octagon, intent on dominating the world? And is Wang Oddjob, using baseballs instead of bowler hats?

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | June 22, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

No need for a catcher as long as Atilano pitches to contact, as instructed.

Posted by: jimbo2541 | June 22, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for beating a dead horse but where is Mike "I have a hot bat and for the sake of Strasburg hitting 1.091 OPS, .390 AVG, .457 OBP" Morse? The bench?...oh ok.

Posted by: chillsonic | June 22, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Morgan's days as a starter are numbered. I firmly believe they can't keep him in there much longer with this level of production.

Posted by: FriendofalltheWorld | June 22, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

And in other news, Brian Bruney released by the Brewers. Not even sure he was there a month?

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | June 22, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-well, I think I over posted yesterday...my fingertips hurt (have to go down to the manuals to rework my pecks).
Especially since, spread out as they were, a couple of posts intended to show "agreement" with some of you...well, they instead were read as attacks! (I think I'll survive)....but one gang member who "got" it-Hey, Cap! And nice to see that wit flashing again! Now that I know of your "power", though...weeel, I got some tax problems...a few other items I might like to call to your attention! Ha!
And dargreg-you finish the Aaron book yet? Just happened to catch Costas with Aaron today on MLB Studio 42....
So, gang...looking forward to reading some great stuff tonight...
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 22, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I had thought that Riggleman was an upgrade after Acta. Now I doubt that. Morse should be in the lineup everyday. If it means that he plays first then do it. Get Morgan the hell out of the lineup and put Bernadina in center filed and leave Morse in right every single game. This is just ridiculous.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 22, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-uh-oh...I'm trying to stay on the bench tonight but just ran into this little blurb from RotoGraphs...
********************************
Ian Desmond, Nationals
Washington’s third-round selection in the 2004 draft is falling short of pre-season expectations. Both CHONE (.265/.326/.412, .324 wOBA) and ZiPS (.270/.334/.388, .325 wOBA) gave forecasts of league-average hitting, but Desmond currently sits at .256/.290/.388, with a .296 wOBA.

A major reason for the 24-year-old’s sub-.300 wOBA is his huge strike zone. Desmond’s swinging at 34.5% of pitches thrown outside of the zone (28.3% MLB average), which has often put him in the pitcher’s clutches. The Nats’ shortstop has a 63.5 first pitch strike percentage, far exceeding the 58.4% big league average. Not surprisingly, Desmond’s walk rate is just 4.1%. He’ll need to show a better eye to avoid being a liability at the plate.
**********************************
I love Ian, but lately, Nyjer ain't the only one not playing to his abilities
lately...
Go Nats!!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 22, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, CapPeterson. You're on your game today. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 22, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting that Zendo. I thought I was the only one who noticed how overmatched Desmond has looked at the plate lately. Would like to see Gonzo get a chance at short.

Posted by: longhorn64 | June 22, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I guess Morse needs two homers a game to stay in the lineup.

Posted by: 202character | June 22, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Yikes....a couple of new posts...where are we all gonna be tonight (I hope here on the game thread).
Another Yikes-park looks empty, so I'm gonna wander over (I live on the Hill). Much as I enjoy the Silver Fox.......
Also-we need to come up with a tee-shirt identifying ourselves as both Nats AND NJ fans (Insider an Ben G as well?),,,so's we can I.D. one another when we're at the Yard. There are some sites where you can have a logo on file and then order whenever....be kinda neat to meet live, IMHO-as long as the "disputes" didn't carry over! Mebbe Adam could talk to the Post? (Who knows? Hey,the Post can become tee-shirt vendors-as the news vending bizz seems to be in steep decline...)
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 22, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I think I understand why Riggleman isn't playing Morse that much. Does anyone here think there's any question about who's gonna be starting in RF next year? With Bryce Harper in the wings, the position in doubt is CF. Riggleman needs to choose between Bernadina, Morgan and maybe Harris. So he wants to see them play. Morse helps out the team this year, but I don't think that's what the Nats are really worried about.

Posted by: DavidandDonald | June 22, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

> Does anyone here think there's any question about who's gonna be starting in RF next year? With Bryce Harper in the wings, the position in doubt is CF. Riggleman needs to choose between Bernadina, Morgan and maybe Harris. So he wants to see them play. Morse helps out the team this year, but I don't think that's what the Nats are really worried about.

Posted by: DavidandDonald

You're right, you're just a year ahead. He won't come up until the end of next season, and get a big league invite in '12. Meantime they need some pop. They already know that Bernadina has a bigger upside than Morgan. Morgan's upside is what you're seeing right now since he's over 30, he's not going to get any bigger, faster or stronger. Bernadina only has 5 or 6 real years of playing baseball. He started to get serious way late. No brainer. That doesn't mean that Morgan shouldn't keep playing, but he's not a starter in the majors. Just like Lannen. He's too short in too many categories, and the main one is strength. You could put someone that hits 20 homers in CF like Andruw Jones, Tori Hunter - and Bernadina could hit 20-25. So what he hits leadoff - you always know he's there. That's when you become like the Phillies, with power in every slot of the lineup. You don't play around with guys that can't hit the ball out of the park and keep pitchers honest.

Posted by: Brue | June 22, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse