Today's lineups

It's raining rather hard at Nationals Park, but maybe that's just God crying because he has to wait four more days to watch Stephen Strasburg pitch. The tarp is down and the forecast doesn't look all that great.

Let's hope the Nationals and Pirates can play at 7 p.m. Whenever the game starts, here's the Nationals lineup.

Nationals
1. Cristian Guzman, 2B
2. Nyjer Morgan, CF
3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
4. Adam Dunn, 1B
5. Josh Willingham, LF
6. Roger Bernadina, RF
7. Ian Desmond, SS
8. Wil Nieves, C
9. John Lannan, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 9, 2010; 2:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Streak remembered: Chad Cordero
Next: Hall of Fame requests a piece of Stephen Strasburg's debut

Comments

Guess Pudge must be worn out after all the excitement last night.

Posted by: slopitchtom | June 9, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't surprise me to see Pudge sit for the next four days or so. I'm not sure that is back is fully recovered yet. I just don't think there was anyway that he was going to miss out on last night.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 9, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Nobody really came close to 14 Ks 'cept Cheeseburger (28), but sec 3 ...

I think he's right on 94 pitches with 65 strikes through 7. And Clippard is on in relief.

I think that's gotta be your winner right there.

Posted by: KeithMcMillan | June 8, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

So I guess that means I get to post in here again! Or a dinner invitation from the Weymouths (Good one, Mr. Bethesda!).

I'll settle for a beer from Svrluga at Duffy's, by the 9:30 Club.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 9, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

With tonight's weather, definitely give Pudge the night off. No need to slip and reaggravate the back -- in fact, a good day for more acupuncture, whirlpool, watch more hitting video (great job hitting yesterday, the double down the line and into the 2nd base hole on the hit-and-run)...

GREAT job Pudge! I am thrilled to have caught a photo of you and SS warming up together out in left field -- the old and the new, both history already!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 9, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Sec3 - see you at Duffy's! We went post-game last night to continue the celebration! The place has really improved to watch a game since it is all HD set up and still the best wings in town.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 9, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

What's this? Sec 3 is buying at Duffy's. I'll be there in 8 hours!

Posted by: lowcountry | June 9, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh my oh my oh my, OH WHAT A NIGHT! Poor Nieves, actually who cares. Oh what a great night. Thank you baseball gods for Mr. Strasburg!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | June 9, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

You know, After watching last night, I am not liking the change up of Guzzy and NiMo1 in the lineup.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

There's a post in an earlier thread about Riggleman's saying Stras will be going every 5 days -- thus, he'd pitch next @ Nats Park on Fri. night (18th), not Sat. afternoon.

Actually, if he's pitching every 5 days, he'll pitch this Saturday, not Sunday, as announced -- and then he'd pitch again Wed. night (the 16th). Since he's pitching Sunday, I'm guessing they are sticking with a 5-man rotation. If so, he pitches on Sat. (the 19th). But, we're all just guessing right now.

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be a bad idea to push Strasburg that much anyway? I mean last night was the best game I ever saw, but seriously stick with a five man rotation, if that means Strasburg gets 6-7 days rest for a change, all the better.

Now after the all star break, if they want to re-order the lineup, thats cool.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

sorry when I said lineup i meant rotation.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to my daily ritual of filling in the zeros in the R column next to the names Guzman and Morgan. There's been two of them there pretty much every day since Riggleman made the switch.

Am I the only one who's noticed that the experiment isn't working? Neither guy looks comfortable, and the run production has tailed off since that initial success in the 14 run Oswalt ejection game.

The problem isn't the order, it's that they both kinda suck at hitting. If Riggleman refuses to move Desmond up to #2 to see what he can do, at least switch them back to where they're comfortable.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | June 9, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

(pssst...over here...Goessling has a rotation projection post up over on the MASN site)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fozzie1 | June 9, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Now that is an inspired move. Heck if Pudge is back you may want to test him out in the 2 spot for a game, he seems to put wood on everything.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I think pitching every 5 days means he'd pitch on 5 days rest, meaning they'd keep a 5-man rotation, except for times when they have off-days. So if there is an off-day between his starts, then someone would get bumped from the rotation (theoretically, then that pitcher would pitch the following day).

If they go by every 5 days (and not 5 games), then by my calculations, Strasburg would pitch 2 away games and 4 homes games (including 6/18) before the break, as opposed to 3 away and 3 home if every 5 games.

Posted by: dclifer | June 9, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Just looked through it. 2 problems with the rotation that projects. 1, he misses that big game on FOX that was re-schedueled, we would think you want the super star for that game. 2, he misses pitching on the 4th of July, another game you would think you want the super star pitching in.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

If Goessling is right, then Livan would pitch on 7 days rest on 6/29... just saying.

Strasburg is Strasburg, but don't you think some of the pitchers might be a little perturbed at getting bumped by a rookie?

Posted by: dclifer | June 9, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@Alex,
I don't think he'd be lined up for the July 4th game unless they bumped someone at some point. If they kept a strict 5-man rotation, he'd pitch on July 6th.

Posted by: dclifer | June 9, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

So now that Mike Wise has actually written a column on the Nats, is it possible that M Wilbon would deign to follow suit?

Better question is, do we care?

Posted by: sec205 | June 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

My cousin just got tickets for CWS game on 6/19. If I'm not mistaken, that day would fall in line to be Strasburg's 3rd start, correct?

Posted by: FloresFan | June 9, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Fozzie1: Didn't get the memo on you replacing Rick Eckstein as hitting coach; teams hit as a lineup Guz is still batiing above .300 while having switched positions (ss-2nd-rf!yikes) Morgan is gonna snap out of it just needs to be a little more agressive and do some film work, good hitting teams feature consistent lineups from day to day week to week and so on, platooning players disturb's a hitters continuity at the plate(one day he play's the next day he's sitting). The Nat's don't have the luxury of a solid fixture at every position and to be truthfull Riggs has done a good job with the lineup (now if he would just stop managing by the book where the pitching staff is concerned..........) Desmond is fine right where Riggs has him for now six thru eighth, and it doesn't give the opposing pitcher an easy out if the Nat's get a threat going. Guz and Morgan will be fine and if Dunn finally snaps out of it then you'll see this team start to score some runs.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 9, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I like "rf!yikes" to describe the position Guzman plays in the outfield and intend to always use it from now on.

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

That's weird, since I work less than 2 miles from Nats Park (I can see the top of the center-field scoreboard from my seventh-floor office), and we were only getting a few drops at the time listed for this blog entry. Nevertheless, I hope they can get the game in.

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 9, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the odds of the game starting on time? Being played tonight at all?

Posted by: roseglasses | June 9, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer Batting leadoff:
47 Games started, 22 runs, 17 walks, 35 k's
.245/.317/.335

Guzman Batting Second:
.341/.370/.398
21 games started, 12 runs, 3 walks, 13 k's

---------------------
Guzman Batting Leadoff:
.342/.359/.447
8 games started, 5 runs, 1 walk, 4 k's

Nyjer Batting Second:
.313/.353/.375
7 games started, 6 runs, 2 walks, 4 k's

I dunno, looks like both are a little more comfortable with Guzzie leading off to me ...

Posted by: erocks33 | June 9, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Guz "kinda sucks at hitting"? Really, Fozzie? I think your standards may be a little high. He is the fifth leading hitter in the league.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 9, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse