Today's lineups

The Nationals will stick with their core lineup while trying to break a six-game losing streak, with one slight difference -- Michael Morse will play right field in place of Roger Bernadina.

Nationals

5. Jose Guillen, RF
6. Alberto Callaspo, 3B
7. Mike Aviles, 2B
8. Rafael Betancourt, SS
9. Bruce Chen, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 21, 2010; 3:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest post: Stat prediction winner
Next: John Lannan optioned to Harrisburg (Updated)

Comments

Great, leave Nyjer in because he got a hit yesterday and take out Bernadina who is one of the hottest hitters?

Posted by: dmacman88 | June 21, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

>>Michael Morse will play right field in place of Roger Bernadina.

Incomplete sentence. What I want to read is: .........in place of Roger Bernadina, who will play center field in place of......

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | June 21, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Adam, you have Desmond and Guzy playing Shortstop.

No biggie, obviously Guzy is at 2nd.

Posted by: dmacman88 | June 21, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Lannan down to minors

Posted by: swanni | June 21, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Masn Ben says harrisburg for lannan

Posted by: swanni | June 21, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gand-Swanni, saw that from a reader over at Insider but can't find any confirm on the net...I've been scouring....where'dja see it?
Boy, another bloggers paradise if true!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

swanni, what's the source?

Posted by: faNATic | June 21, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Gosseling on twitter

Posted by: swanni | June 21, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

The Nats really need to let Roger Bernadina play a few games at center to see if he can do that next year. You know what you have with Morgan. Bernadina could be a starter in '11 at CF and replace RF with a power guy.

No reason to give Morgan bats over Bernadina, who would be at the age to be useful during the Nats first real playoff chase.

Posted by: hoo93 | June 21, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Rotoworld has the Lannan demotion:

Curious that everyone (the Nats) seemed in lock step that Lannan was OK and was pat of the rotation, etc. Now, 15 hours later, he's demoted. This organization is still disfunctional.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 21, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Peralta replaces lannan

Posted by: swanni | June 21, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Zuckerman's got a brief post up on Nats Insider now, I'm sure Kilgore will in a minute as well.

Peralta's up from AAA, Detwiler to ultimately get the spot.

Posted by: faNATic | June 21, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-WOWSERS!!!!Over at the Insider, it's up! To H'burg....Peralta up...man, whatEVER is going on...I feel for him-in our 2 years of execrable, wretched play, John was one of the few bright spots...remeber Yankee Stadium?
Go John!!! Come back soon
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and oh, Commish-at the end of the last thread, someone said you and a few other "harsh" posters had the power to force the team outta DC(I lept to your defense-that's REALLY what I want you to read!)
That being the case...could you get us Lee from Seattle instead? Him and lannan-both lefties, huh?
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I really feel for Lannan, too. As zendo notes, he soldiered on and regularly took the ball for us throughout some of our worst times. Hope that John, the coaches, or the docs might be able to figure things out in Harrisburg. Take care, Johnny!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang- for your pleasure, Commish-here's the exchange....PLEASE don't move the Nats!

It's peopple like commish, meridian and others that cost this city 2 teams in the past. They are also too willing to share their ignorance about baseball and building a competitive franchise. All the writer was saying is that there seems to be some light at the end. And there does. Well done Mr. Crane.

Posted by: ghstalcup

Hey Gang-see, told ya I was still babbling....and not to call anyone out, but Gee, ghstal....I seem to remember the Senators #1 decamping because an owner, at least partially alarmed at both having to possibly integrate the team AND the stands (and with a player of color, surely that would bring in FANS of color-without the comfort of separate (of course, still EQUAL) seating... and #2 because the owner saw the chance at lots of money (factored in to #1 as well-the Braves in Milwaukee were making lots of dough in those years). To think that passionate fans would force an owner to move...seems to me that crummy products and hence apathetic fans are a more likely reason. Lets also not forget that back then even the mighty Yankees frequently drew only 5-10 thousand to a game. Different era,,,,,and if fans like those you mentioned were capable of driving away a team-seems they'd be just as likely to drive the owner to upgrade the team.
That said...while I may be a bit too fond of rose colored glasses....even the biggest flamethrowers make some valid points..if anything because they DO seem to understand the game-at least part of it-just like the rest of us. It's like that Kurosawa flick-Rashaemon-where we all see it from a different angle.
Ahh yes-spirited debate! As for me, I'll still be at the yard 20 or so times a year when we're lousy and more when we're not. So even if I'm not approving of their state, I won't be responsible for 'em leaving!(But Commish-seein' how you HAVE that power...can you instead get us some starters for starters...and an infielder as well.Chase Utley would be nice, although the guy from Toronto might be an easier mission. Meridian?-an outfielder from you!)
And ghstal? Keep reminding all of us to take pleasure in our no longer being so wretched that it was only shared misery and umbrage that kept us watching....after all, I'm the guy who had us winning 85 this year-and I STILL think a winning season is a distinct possibility!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo

Brue got in on the act,too-had a shorter post with more/better facts!
AGAIN...PLEASE...commish,,,,Meridian...all you others gloating about Lannan(not about his misfortune but rather what it says about our Nats)
DON'T Move em, OK?
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 21, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This just does not make any sense... kudos for having Morse in there, especially against a lefty... but, Morgan is terrible against lefties... even last year, when he tore it up, he hit .175 off of left handed pitching (.344 off of right handed pitching)... this year, .200 off of left handed pitching... so, he clearly has proved he can NOT hit left handed pitching...

Bernadina hasn't had too many at bats against lefties... but, he is career .269 against them with an OPS in the .750 range... geeze, if you want Morgan to snap out of it, put him in positions where he is most likely to succeed, and in the interim keep your hot hitters (Bernadina and Morse) in the lineup as much as possible... at least until they cool off...

I am starting to wonder what they really think is most important here...

Posted by: Ghost7 | June 21, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Anyone feeling like the Lannan demotion is a big mistake needs a dose of baseball reality. This is what happens. Look at his numbers. End of story.

This isn’t about whether or not I feel for the guy (I do) or whether or not he’s been “loyal” to the club. It’s about doing the job they pay you to do. He’ll be fine.

Oh – there was a pitcher that got sent down a few years ago to work out the kinks. His name? Cliff Lee.

Posted by: gonatsgo1 | June 21, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

well earned day off for Bernadina

Posted by: arizonacardinalsfan1 | June 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Another post (on the Lannan assignment to AA) said this may be the beginning of a change in management's approach to the Nats' problems--a shorter leash for everyone. If he is right, then he is also likely right that Morgan is now the next in line for the short leash. He may have a matter of days (KC, the O's) to get untracked. Batting leadoff tonight? Maybe that is the beginning of his "one more last chance."

Posted by: fpcsteve | June 21, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Way to get Morse in there, but they should have shifted Bernadina to center. He's still hot, while Nyger is ice cold.

Posted by: futbolclif | June 21, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Uhmmm, unless the Lerners are selling they ain't moving?

They are making money there is no doubt about that.

The Lerners truly are DC locals ... all-the-way-back locals as in they were one of the inventors of the first "mall": see Wheaton Plaza. More "local" than the current owner of the Oriholes, Angelos.

These guys aren't Short, and they are definitely NOT the really super cheap Calvin Griffith. So, stop with this nonsense will ya?

Posted by: periculum | June 21, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@ zendo:

Not sure how I cost the city two teams in the past. The expansion Senators left in 1971, I arrived here in 1975.

There is no one -- no one -- who wants this franchise to succeed more than I do. Frustration over the missteps of the Lerners stems from my own fear that if this operation fails, it will be the last time in my lifetime. Whoever is not alarmed at the decline of attendance and the rock-bottom TV ratings, and what that means for the long-term viability of the franchise, is not paying attention.

As for gloating over Lannan's demotion, I didn't even know about the demotion until AFTER your post. You must be hallucinating.

Moreover, rather than gloating, I am saddened. If someone had predicted on Opening Day that he would be headed to the minors in June, I'd have said they were crazy. It is maddening to see what is essentially an entire rotation -- Lannan, Marquis, Olsen, Wang, Detwiler, Zimmermann -- either on the DL, headed to it, or in rehab. Not to mention Flores.

Finally, I have not criticized the Lerners for failing to play the FA market for a right-fielder, though others have. On the other hand, I share the growing concern that Nyjer Morgan is not the long-term answer, that Justin Maxwell is unlikely ever to cut it at the major league level, and that the jury is still out on Bernadina. Unfortunately, that leaves some major questions about the readiness of this team to contend.

One can be a fan without drinking the Kool-Aid. In fact, one better hopes the front office isn't drinking any, because only clear-headed and difficult decisions can perform the difficult task of building a contender.

Posted by: Meridian1 | June 21, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess we're playing a strong shift against righty pull-hitters, with two shortstops.

Posted by: 202character | June 21, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I know leaks are the mother's milk of DC life, but I think that's a functional organization. If I'm in Kasten's job and somebody leaks that before it's official, they're in my office inside 5 minutes, and probably cleaning out their desk inside of 15.

***************

Posted by: comish4lif | June 21, 2010 4:12 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 21, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-And jeez, Meridian...I was Defending you!...That was a tongue in cheek reply to s poster who held you and a few others responsible for the area losing the prior two teams for being....passionate? Opinionated? Critical of the team?.Guess you missed the previous exchange. For the record-I don't hold you responsible. I see lots of merit in yer points (tend to agree, if not so strenuously).And hallucinate? At 53, I keep waiting for one of those fabled "flashbacks" they warned us about (could never figure out how that could be BAD!) but 30+ years later I'm STILL waiting..well, lets hope we don't have to wait that long for the Nats, huh!
Keep it ALL up, Gang!!