Today's lineups

Ian Desmond gets the night off after his crucial error last night, and Roger Bernadina will bat in the second spot as Cristian Guzman returns to the lineup and hits seventh. Alberto Gonzalez, who failed to get the go-ahead run in from third base with one out last night, will get his third straight start, this time at short for Desmond.

Nationals

5. Troy Glaus, 1B
6. Eric Hinske, LF
7. Yunel Escobar, SS
8. Gregor Blanco, CF
9. Derek Lowe, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 29, 2010; 3:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nationals' record is down, but they aren't
Next: Nyjer Morgan's mistake indicative of Nationals struggles

Comments

Nyjer leading off.. Well, maybe Zimm or someone tore him a new one in the clubhouse last night and he'll get his head back in the game.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 29, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

morgan is a piece of trash when are people going to be held accountable for there constant stupidty

Posted by: vjridgely | June 29, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow... and I thought dargramps hated punctuation...

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 29, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-the whole article I was quoting from is her:
It's on Stras...a good read...
Now-what about Morse at 2nd base?Wasn't he an infielder originally?AG at short-although I believe we've been seeing why he's a bench player. Still...and suppose we win tonight-who'll speak for the team, with Ian on the pine?
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 29, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Harrisburg had 6 players picked for the Eastern League all-star game, including Espinosa. I assume it's widely available, but www.trentonthunder.com has the complete rosters

Posted by: nats24 | June 29, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy...Nats win tonight.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 29, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I certainly am glad to see for a change that players are being held accountable for STUPID mistakes. Oh, wait. This is Morgan back in CF. All is normal. Lookin forward to idiot base running and moronic throws again tonight!
Oh, wait. Maybe i will do something productive with my time instead.

Or not. Sigh.

Posted by: NatsFly | June 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

What more does Michael Morse have to do? Nyjer has to sit, plain and simple. You can't call three months a "slump" anymore. If you do play him, he has to be in the 8th hole so that the pitcher is at the plate when he's picked off instead of a run producer.

If Riggleman doesn't take Njyer's job from him, Rizzo will take Riggleman's job at the end of the year.

Posted by: sec307 | June 29, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Put Bernadina in center and Morse in right. Put Nyjer on the bench where he belongs. Who gives Pudge the sign to steal or does he go on his own? I'd like to see some fire in the dugout once in awhile... All I wanted was to be competative.. Not even close now..

Posted by: olduffer501 | June 29, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

So, Desmond gets the night off for being not aggressive enough on that DP ball last night and ruining the game for the phenom.... while Morgan gets to play CF and bat leadoff after getting picked off first (again) and throwing to the wrong base in the same critical inning that Desmond is being punished for?

OK, makes sense to me.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 29, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy...Nats win tonight.

BUTTTT .... then they might not catch Pittsburgh, Arizona, Cleveland, Seattle and Baltimore for the ultimate prize! That elusive #1 pick that they've had for 2 years running!

Posted by: periculum | June 29, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

>...and throwing to the wrong base in the same critical inning that Desmond is being punished for?

Posted by: comish4lif

They're not getting punished. They're all getting paid. None of these guys is suffering.

Posted by: Brue | June 29, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and this line from CBS Sports lead article on Stras last night:
"He's still so good that you don't want to take your eyes off him. But his team is so bad right now that your eyes hurt at the sight of them." (Danny Knobler).
Nice to see we're getting natinal coverage, eh? He ends his piece with this nice bit:
" Who do we want to see more than him?
"He's probably going to make the All-Star team every year from here on out," Hudson said.He probably is. And we're probably going to keep watching him, every chance we get.
Even if it means watching the Nationals, too"
And FWIW-I think we win tonight, too!
Go Nats!

Posted by: zendo | June 29, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think tonight would have been a great night to pull a LaRussa and hit Stammen 8th? He's probably more an asset hitting than on the mound.

Posted by: TheycallmeThriiiiiiilledge | June 29, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-agreed thrill...and if I recall, Stammen can actually swing the bat a bit.
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 29, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

They need a win so bad - let's go guys! The former FOF needs to come back from the dead. Get this team going!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | June 29, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

You mean idiot base running when he's not swinging at the first pitch and either flying out to left or bunting back to the pitcher.

Posted by: thelonghaul | June 29, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of how pitiful Gonzalez is at the plate... I still like the move. Desmond's blunders in the field have not been overcome by what he has done at the plate lately. He has had plenty of playing time to pull himself out of this slump, maybe a few days off will help. I say give Gonzalez a couple days out there, see if he can get something going with a few starts in a row. His stats at the plate aren't much worse than Desmond's are anyway... Desmond has actually struck out more frequently this season.

And yes... Bernadina to center (and lead-off), Morse to Right, and Kennedy to Second.

Posted by: Kavorka | June 29, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kavorka | June 29, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

This is getting weirder and weirder... the refusal to sit Morgan no matter how bad he is at the plate, no matter how many times he throws the ball to the wrong base, no matter how many times he gets picked off...

I mean, when he reached on that error to start the game last night, and Hudson threw the ball to first about 8 times... I know exactly what Hudson was thinking... something along the lines of "I know that if I keep throwing over there he will be picked off eventually"...

And, the sudden infatuation with Gonzo is bizarre... the dude can play some infield defense, but he is pretty worthless at the plate... I guess they are trying to shore up the infield defense at least on a one day or temporary basis... and I can't blame them... but Gonzo is another zero offense guy off the bench, like Wil Nieves... ugh...

oh well, I do like the move to have Bernadina at the top of the order, I can find some positive here! And I'm still rooting for you guys to start playing some ball!

Posted by: Ghost7 | June 29, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember a more discouraging week for Nats fans. Sure would be nice to have Pudge voted onto the AllStar Team. We can do it. It's easy to vote from the Nats' Official site.

Go, Nats!

Posted by: longhorn64 | June 29, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

C'mon guys, surprise me.

Please!

Posted by: KenNat | June 29, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Desmond is not being punished, he's being given a night off to let him decompress from all the errors. After a while they build on themselves. What is the point in punishing people for errors that are not the result of lack of effort?

Posted by: markfromark | June 29, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

>What is the point in punishing people for errors that are not the result of lack of effort?

Posted by: markfromark

A lack of fundamentals is a lack of effort. If he's such a gifted athlete, he should be able to remedy his footwork after thousands of ground balls. Ray Knight's said it a bunch of times. It's not like he's physically incapable of making plays. So if he's not physically incapable, then it's a lack of effort on his part because he hasn't mastered how to field and throw properly.

Posted by: Brue | June 29, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Brue,
Does the same apply for Zimm on his sidearm grenade launchers from third?

I'm taking the night off from the Nats tonight, vs sinkerballer Derek Lowe (actually, probably would give the tall right-handed Morse some trouble, so tonight for Nyjer, but no more!)
----

Posted by: Brue | June 29, 2010 5:52 PM

Posted by: mo_dc | June 29, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather seen Morgan dropped to seventh or eight in the order and have Bernadina lead off with Guzman second, but let's see how they respond tonight...

Posted by: bromisky | June 29, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I must be one of those pitchers cited in that MASN commercial because I have the "Nyjer Morgan Blues."

Posted by: swanni | June 29, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-dargreg...ain't you down in Atlanta? What's the word "on the street' regarding the Natinals? (Just trying to get you to throw in yer 2 cents!)
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | June 29, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Very discouraged that morgan is again in center and lead off. What has to happen for Riggs to make a change ? I really wonder what it would have to be to finally pull the plug on morgan.

Posted by: jtunney1 | June 29, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

What would it take to get riggs to sit Morgan? If morse is any barometer, nyjer would have to hit a HR. If he hits a HR tonight, riggs will put him on the bench tomorrow night

Posted by: swanni | June 29, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

>Brue,
Does the same apply for Zimm on his sidearm grenade launchers from third?

Absolutely. It's lazy, and not fundamental going sidearm the way he does. Personally, it looks like he's trying to be cute when he does that. What, you think I'm picking on people or playing favorites? You don't know me. I'll call anybody out. This team hasn't won anything the last four years. Nobody's exempt.

Posted by: Brue | June 29, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse