Adam Dunn has heard nothing from the Nationals, open to DHing

Still a Washington National and in tonight's lineup, first baseman Adam Dunn has heard nothing about his immediate future with the team as they remain intent on either trading or signing Dunn before Saturday 4 p.m. non-waiver trade deadline.

Asked to guess the chances he's a National when he wakes up Sunday morning, Dunn said, "50-50. Maybe 51-49. I really don't know."

Which way?

"I don't know. You pick."

Reports this afternoon said Dunn had been told he wouldn't be sent to the White Sox for Edwin Jackson, and Dunn shot them down. "No," Dunn said. "I haven't heard anything." (Dunn allowed, about the White Sox, "I like their uniforms.")

Dunn clarified several meaningful details surrounding his situation Dunn has stated his opposition to serving as a full-time designated hitter, but he said he would not mind for the final portion of the season if he is sent to an American League team.

"That's just Dhing for two months," Dunn said. "It's not like if I make this move, it's career-ending."

Dunn declined speculate as to whether he would be willing to sign with the Nationals this offseason should he get traded and then declare for free agency.

"I don't know," Dunn said. "I've got to get traded first. We're still trying to work things out here. I'm not going to make a deal of something that's really, really far off."

Dunn, again, admitted his frustration that his future remains unsettled. He hoped to reach a contract extension with the Nationals in spring training, and instead negotiations have dragged with little progress.

"I would say frustrated more than disappointed," Dunn said. "I know it's the business side of it. But I really did expect to get something done and at least make a little progress. Just hasn't worked out that. It's no fault for anyone. It's how it goes, man."

Dunn wanted to sign early in order to the scene that unfolded inside the Nationals clubhouse this after. Surrounded by reporters, Dunn explained his thoughts on his future, and talked about dodging the constant speculation and rumors.

"It sucks," Dunn said. "Part of it, dude. You just get tired of hearing it. You can't even watch TV. I don't know how else to put it. It probably would affect other people more than it does me," Dunn said. "It doesn't, because my options are awesome. I can't have better options that what I have."

Still, Dunn hopes to continue talks with the Nationals if they stand pat at the deadline. The Nationals want to either trade or sign Dunn. But they can't do either, Dunn would still be interested in remaining in Washington.

"I would think if nothing is worked out by now, we'll still continue working on it," Dunn said. "The first day of October, it might happen. I wanted to get it done as early as possible, and that hasn't worked out. It's not going to change."

For now, like most everyone in baseball, Dunn is guessing. He was asked if he believes the point where he and the Nats could reach a deal before the trade deadline has passed.

"I don't know," Dunn said. "Do you? It could happen right now."

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 30, 2010; 5:03 PM ET
Categories:  Adam Dunn , trade deadline
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adam Dunn: '50-50' chance he'll stay with the Nats
Next: Mike Rizzo on the trade deadline

Comments

WWJBD?

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | July 30, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Come on Sox, give up Beckham. Then I do it.

I can't see it though, Marrero, maybe Norris, the guy at Potomac who is tearing it up, they're all at LEAST a year away.

Mike Morse full-time?

Posted by: CJArlington | July 30, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Dunn is making $12 million this year. Nobody banged his door down for more then the Nats so why push for more than $12 mill a year now.

I don't think Dunn could spend $12 mill in his lifetime as he already has his Rolls Royce!

Tell your agent to take the deal from the Nats and control your own destiny!

Posted by: dmacman88 | July 30, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Instead of Tanner Schlepper they get Tanner Roarke. Another AA guy.

Posted by: periculum | July 30, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

that makes more sense. 2 middle of the road prospects for Guz. I like him and all, but he's simply not worth a Tanner Schlepper type of deal.

Posted by: swang30 | July 30, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I am disappointed from what we got for Guzzy.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 30, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Courtesy of Ben Goessling on twitter:

"#Nationals GM Mike Rizzo said the price won't come down on Adam Dunn before the deadline. #mlb"

There you go people. He's staying ... he will get signed when he gets signed ...

Now Josh Willingham, now that Atlanta has been told no on Cody Ross ... that might be a different story ...

When's the mlbtraderumors Willingham rumors start up anyhow?

Posted by: periculum | July 30, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Small bit of advice for those with tickets this weekend, Philly scum are everywhere already. Let's get behind our guys (whomever they will be). Don't get too mouthy with the baboons from up 95, if there's a problem get an usher or two to pay attention. No need to ruin your own day by getting riled up - let's just cheer loudly for the Nats. Maybe we'll have something to get loud about.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 30, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Lance Berkman is headed to the Yanks. Rays or Pale Hose might be trading for Adam Dunn.

Posted by: 4U2Know | July 30, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, does this make Guzman the first player ever to play for all three DC franchises?

Posted by: truke | July 30, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Unless the Pale Hose part with Beckham its no deal. Unless Tampa Bay parts with Hellickson and Upton for starters ... its no deal. In other words ... its no deal.

But TB and the Braves had interest in Willingham. The Chisox could as well if they get their focus off of Dunn.

Posted by: periculum | July 30, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Only way we should trade Dunn is for Beckham & Edwin Jackson. Gotta get a steal of a deal... problem is Beckham has raised his avg from .209 to .245 this month & showing the promise the White Sox have been looking for.

Posted by: tony325 | July 30, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh ... the Pale Hose getting desperate ... it just might happen?

RT @InsideTheSox: We don't have to win deals, KW said, we just have to get the guy we want, who fits here. #WhiteSox

Posted by: periculum | July 30, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

truke, that's an interesting question. Can't think of anyone else with Nats/Rangers/Twins, but if you're counting Expos players as well, I imagine there has to be somebody.

Posted by: 202character | July 30, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse