Game 104 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Phillies

Their roster intact, the Nationals will try continue one of their best stretches this season. As Ross Detwiler makes his second start this year, the Nationals have won three of four at Nationals Park against National League favorites. They'll face right-handed Joe Blanton.

Adam Dunn received a large ovation when announced as the first baseman. The Nationals have been through a hectic week and still played in top form. It's a gorgeous, comfortable night and the park is packed with loud fans -- both Phillies and Nationals supporters.

So take a deep breath and talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 31, 2010; 7:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg will throw Sunday
Next: Jordan Zimmermann back on track

Comments

Adam, your coverage these past few days has been been both stellar and appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 31, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I fully second JiM's comment, and also wanted to say glad to see/hear the ovation for Dunn.

I'm completely all-aboard the "sign him" train.

Posted by: NatAlbert | July 31, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Agree, thanks for the great coverage. Like both the trades and very glad Dunn stayed put.

w/ Maya introduced recently, any word on terms of his contract?? Major league? Bonus? Salary? Not like you've had nothing else to do but when things settle down, I think we're all very curious for that info.

Posted by: Avar | July 31, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Trade Adam Dunn?

You've got to be kidding!

He's one of a handful of players who takes the game seriously and has the talent to back it up.

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | July 31, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

And a good start tonight. Nice catch by Nyjer at the wall and first inning runs.

Posted by: marathoner | July 31, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

So I see the stands are full of Stan Kastens favorite people .....that is why I am watching at home

Posted by: CBinDC | July 31, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Loving this offensive outburst right outta the gate!!!

Posted by: NatAlbert | July 31, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Detwiler has some chin hair. Is that the new look for young Nats pitchers?

Posted by: marathoner | July 31, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

As for the crowd, while there are the usual masses of Philly fans, the Nats fans, at least where I'm sitting, have been great so far. Hope Ross can keep this up.

Posted by: Santa72 | July 31, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Need some more runs i'm not sure three's gonna do it tonight and with Cole Hamels tommorow well...................... like i said we need more offense.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 31, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Blanton owes the swear jar a dollar for that little on-camera moment.

Posted by: NatAlbert | July 31, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Of course, with Blue's strike zone this eve, I imagine that jar's gonna be pretty full by game's end.

Posted by: NatAlbert | July 31, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice catch by Dominic Brown on that drive by Desmond that kid's a keeper, way to plate the runner and keep the phil's fan's talking to themselves.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 31, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Clippard again. Blow lead again. How many more times will Riggleman allow this to happen? At some point you go with somebody else - anybody else.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | July 31, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Big disappointment if we don't get something here. Go Nats.

Posted by: marathoner | July 31, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Can they not find a relief pitcher that does not walk the leadoff batter? Pitiful!!!

Posted by: bamabug | July 31, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

No disappointment tonight. Take that Phillies. Going for the sweep tomorrow.

Posted by: marathoner | July 31, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I love this game, especially beating the sillies, omg, what a feeling, GO NATS...GO ZMAN...woo hoo, and like it philly.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 31, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Morse is thinking if I do a good job pinch hitting this year I'll get ABs next year as Willie is living off what he's done in the past. As much as Zim is the hero with the moonshot give Morse, Morgan and Kennedy credit for setting the table. Loved Zims trip aroubd the bases too.

2-0 since Ms. Iowa sat at the game. Fire Debbie Taylor, hire her!

Posted by: SCNatsFan | July 31, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

The Zimminator!!

Posted by: bromisky | July 31, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

The Zimminator!!

Posted by: bromisky | July 31, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Just home from the game, that was a SWEET win. Sat in centerfield to see me some Nyjer--great 1st inning catch, and then base hit and then score. Knew Z was going to homer as soon as he stepped to the plate. Fight about 3 rows down from me, a drunk Philly fan. Too bad, if they're gonna come here, they need to learn how to LOSE!!! Yessir.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 31, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

just home as well - surrounded by Phils phans above the visitors dugout (in season ticket seats) - seemed to be about half and half tonight, though they were louder. nice game by detwiler, loved it when peralta's "hit batter" got called back, and the walkoff was sweeter than hell. love to see so many mad phillies fans. zim's ball was no doubt off the bat. unreal. great win!

Posted by: DCguy7 | July 31, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Section 417 tonight, Where we were, the Phillies fans were loud, but not obnoxious - no drunks, no fights, no ugly language. They were damned loud when the Phillies came back to tie and then take the lead, but nothing offensive.

Zim came up, I said to my bud, "It's hero time now..."

I thought the place was going to explode after Zim's shot.

Great game. Some good pitching (and some lousy), more Nats offense, see-saw battle, and a walk-off win.

Plus I walked out with TWO Nyjer bobbleheads, 'cuz before the game, I was standing near a Phillies fan who asked me if I wanted another one. I said sure, then she asked if I wanted both, "I don't have any use for them..." but before I could crowd down my surprise, another guy said, "Hey, I'll take one."

CBinDC, you piocked a bad night to stay home.

Posted by: gilbertbp | July 31, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Just getting in from the game, wow! I was in Sect 105 (usual seats) and surrounded and I mean surround by Flithies! Way to much and over the top language by some of them but all and all they behaved until Ibanez hot that dinger and then all hell broke loose. Of course the biggest hell raiser happened when Zimmerman hit the WO. I have never seen more dejection and disbelief in my life it was CLASSIC! I of course went home happy!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 31, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Man, those Zimm walk-offs sure make you feel good!

Some jerk columnist on Yahoo sports doesn't even think the Nats will be willing to offer Dunn $15 million for one year in arbitration, and thus, would lose the 2 comp draft picks. That's utterly ridiculous. It seems likely the issue has been more length of contract than amount.

The Lerners would earn more in good will (and probably ticket sales) than it would cost them to give big Adam four years and $60 mil, and that's assuming he wouldn't produce as expected.

I just hope he'll take what now might be a home team discount

Posted by: nats24 | August 1, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Was in 105 also, not my usual seat. Too bad I didn't know you, TC... or would have shaken your hand.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 1, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

The Nats would be thrilled to get Dunn for just one more year if he accepts arbitration, even if they end up paying $15 million or more. It's the multi-year deal they are worried about. But there's no way Dunn will accept the offer of arbitration; he'd much rather test the open market and see if he can get a multi-year deal. If he can't, he can probably sign for one year for about as much as he'd earn in arbitration. But he can almost certainly get a two year deal.

Posted by: Section222 | August 1, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I was in my usual seat(s) - 106 and made sure to let every single one of the knuckle scraping Philadelphians what I thought of that Zimm walk off. Sorry if I offended anyone in my section, but I was not going home a loser tonight - and Zimm's blast was just amazing! Even better... the bat flip!

What was not great, a very nice Philly fan (who also had a Nats hat, because she likes her adopted home town team as well) said she was punched in the face by a Philly baboon after the game. She told me at the bar later that she will never cheer for a Philly team again, because their fans are such savages.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 1, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

I was in my season ticket seats (135 C) and there were some great Philly fans behind us and some extremely obnoxious ones in the front row. He was verbally abusive from about the 4th inning on. He eventually started calling people around us some very foul names, threatened several times to fight me, and was repeatedly warned by the "TV time guy." It took an uproar from about 15-20 people in the 3 sections around him before security escorted him out. Two innings too late in my opinion. To top it all off, as he walked by, he lunged at me while I was holding my infant daughter. He did walk off to grateful cheers, many from Philly fans. Loved the atmosphere, the game, and some Philly fans, but this was the worst game experience I've had at Nats park, and that includes opening day this year. I think Mr. Kasten needs to encourage his security personal to use a very short leash with Philly fans if he is going to invite them to visit. Mr. Walkoff did make the whole thing worthwhile though.

Posted by: BullTreetop | August 1, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse