Game 82 discussion thread: Nationals vs. Mets

Manager Jim Riggleman gave Adam Kennedy a start today, which, if all goes to plan, will become a more regular thing. When Cristian Guzman got hot early this year, Riggleman, for all intents and purposes, made him the everyday second baseman. Now, Riggleman wants to get to back to more of a platoon in the middle infield with Kennedy and Alberto Gonzalez.

"Earlier in the year, we were winning more games when that group was more involved," Riggleman said. "I'm going to have to avoid the temptation of playing the hot hand. It seems to work better for us. A lot of clubs, their lineups work better when they put those same eight guys out there every day. But that's not what works best for us."

The Nationals will have to change SOMETHING today with Strasburg on the mound. In his previous three starts, the Nationals have scored one run total and lost all three games. Today Strasburg will oppose R.A. Dickey, a knuckleballer who told the New York Times, "It's the F-15 vs. the butterfly. I like that because the butterfly is alive."

We can only hope this game will be as good as that quote. Talk about Strasmas No. 6 right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 3, 2010; 4:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Josh Willingham, a possible all-star, wants to stay a National
Next: Did Stephen Strasburg just pitch himself out of All-Star Game?

Comments

Ag, WTF! I am also in South Carolina for the holiday weekend, and was looking forward to watching SS on Fox. Marlins at Braves! Sigh.

Posted by: mo_dc | July 3, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Stras struggling in front of his first divisional home, but more away crowd.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't look like "Jesus" out there -- more like Nuke LaLoosh! The scouting report for Strassburgh didn't state the obvious "Walks on water".

Posted by: jwing14 | July 3, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

How can any sane manager possibly put Willie Harris in the 2 hole? More over, how can any sane manager start Willie Harris? Unbelievable.

Posted by: amorris525 | July 3, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. This lineup is horrible.

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that Wee Willie Harris has pictures. That's all I'm sayin'.

Posted by: jwing14 | July 3, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

My god I really can't take this team much longer. You get a break on an error only to get thrown out at 2nd. Really?

Posted by: amorris525 | July 3, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Desmond wasn't running hard out of the box. Total garbage.

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

This ballclub that showed lots of heart the first 2 months of the season is now showing none at all. We look like a bunch of losers.

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of all of this talk about "we play hard". Guess what? You don't play hard. You show up to get a paycheck. There are twelve year olds who can run the bases better than three of you, several are automatic outs, and the coaching staff doesn't have a clue.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 3, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

84 pitches already for SS. Hope the bullpen is up for another good game. Be nice if we could get some O before the ninth inning.

Posted by: marathoner | July 3, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile in the Marlins-Braves game, Brian McCann just dropped down a bunt to a wide open 3rd base to get the Braves started against
Anibal Sanchez. 3 batters later, 2 runs in and still only one out.

Just thinking it's an idea for Dunn to consider once in a while to keep teams honest...

Posted by: mo_dc | July 3, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey i had tickets ot this game but i missed it cuz the tix said the game started at 7. what gives??? did they really change the game and why. please someone help me figure this out.

Posted by: anonymous35 | July 3, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@amorris: I'm with you - Harris batting 2nd, & playing RF; WTF was Riggleman thinking?

Posted by: BinM | July 3, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

They changed the game time awhile back when Fox decided to cover the game as part of its game of the week schedule.

Posted by: marathoner | July 3, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

J.D. Martin pinch hitting? WTF! This is a disgrace!

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

JD Martin pinch hitting for Strasburg. I guess the offense is being saved for the ninth.

Posted by: marathoner | July 3, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Cue the mass exodus with Jesus out. Cept the Mets fans, of course

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

preciate the help marathoner

Posted by: anonymous35 | July 3, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Really? JD Martin? That is total BS. Let Jesus go out, hit, and pitch another inning. He seemed to have settled down. This nonsense about strict adherence to pitch counts is just that - nonsense.

Posted by: mastroj | July 3, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I am no longer suprised by Riggleman's unique management of the game (the latest, the JD Martin pinch hit). His overal goal seems to be about getting guys playing time than winning.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 3, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman as Cossell used to say is grabbing at straws, why leave yourself open to being second guessed(Harris batting 2nd) like i said in yesterday's post i'd sit Desmond until he "gets it" baserunning blunders.error's the kid is a mess, yeah he's trying too hard and that's why you sit him and if you had a coaching staff then somebody could talk to him,this is where Marquis Grissom might help your ballclub( major league experience) someone whose been through it. There is going to be some serious soul searching at the allstar break by this ballclub or at least there should be.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 3, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

anyone else notice in the first inning that strasburg stared down the umpire 3 different times after walking a mets batter..something we have not seen before..tough outing and lets see how he bounces back next against the giants...also anothe baserunning mistake by diamond in the 3rd inning trying to take an extra base...aggressive or poor decision again...the beauty of baseball in that you just never know what the outcome..major league hitters are just that..and anybody can catch up to 99mph fastball...better luck next time nats

Posted by: wmnatzakanian | July 3, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Well alright, we have some offense for a change...

Posted by: HotNats | July 3, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The Hammer, then Pudge - Way to go boys!

Posted by: BinM | July 3, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

We need Bobby V.

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

If the team is going to be so disciplined about Strasburg's pitch count then hope they stay disciplined and keep the big three...reading today's post sports makes agood point for it...to get rid of Dunn only leaves a hole...add to what you already have...resign Dunn for 3yrs..no more...if he balks then let him go...gotta keep Willingham..gotta....sign them and work on the pitching woes...like the article said, "let them play the seasoon out to see what they can really do."

Posted by: pentagon40 | July 3, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

It's so pathetic that after a hearty round of "Let's go Mets" all our fans can manage is a feeble "boo". Ugh, we've got such a long way to go on and off the field.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Leading rbi hitter and you pitch to him...after going 3-2 gotta throw something very low but he didn't...or walk him...

Posted by: pentagon40 | July 3, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Kev29. It's like the fans don't know how to be fans. I'm so discouraged about everything having to do with this team right now.

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of a Yankees game a few weeks ago...the team walked Texeira to load the bases and pitch to A Rod....make sense????

Well A Rod homered.......

Posted by: pentagon40 | July 3, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Say goodnight, Gracie

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 6:38 PM

Problem is, there are still very few real Nats fans at the Park. Today, there are probably 10,000 actual home fans; 10,000 Mets fans and 20,000 people there to watch a celebrity pitch.

Just to add another misery to our situation, now all these celebrity worshipers who can have become more commited Nats fans are watching some awful Nats ball when they show up. When the Stras hype wears off, they'll be less likely to buy tickets. So the Lerners are likely to squander the 2005 hype, new Park hype and Strasburg hype. A poor ownership hat-trick!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I dont think we will see that Nats on national TV again any time soon. This is like watching the Detroit Lions last year now. The land of futility.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 3, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

But hey, Riggleman sure got a lot players in the game !!!

Posted by: JT2009 | July 3, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

@egoodman: I disagree - The last thing this team needs is Bobby Valentine. He's the Larry Brown of Baseball, and will want a big part of the player decision-making process. If the team hires him, Rizzo will be cuckholded & will most likely resign within a year.

Posted by: BinM | July 3, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Fox announcers now poking fun at the "fans" streaming out the Centerfield Gates. Long way to go...

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Fox shows the mass exodus down Half St.

Posted by: marathoner | July 3, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Great play, David Wright. Guess he got a little tired of Zimm stealing his NL 3B thunder last season.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow Willie a clutch hit good job.

Now for the true Mr. Clutch. Come on Ryan!

Posted by: amorris525 | July 3, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for quashing my pessimism today, big Dunnkey!!!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Damn they better pull this out. That's the second horrible bounce on a clear homer this year for adam.

Posted by: amorris525 | July 3, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Nats prove me wrong with my "land of futility" comment. Could be a very big comeback win. Come on Pudge !!!!

Posted by: JT2009 | July 3, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that twice this year Dunn has missed a homer by an inch or two? Let's go Pudge.

Posted by: marathoner | July 3, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

HOLY CRAP!!!!
BANG ZOOM??!??!?

WOW!!!

Posted by: HotNats | July 3, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I take it all back. NICE WIN

Posted by: JT2009 | July 3, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Great comeback boys.

Posted by: amorris525 | July 3, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Shame all the Strasburg ticket buyers were on the Green Line for that 9th :-D Thanks Dunnkey, Pudge and K-Rod!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Especially love doing it all against F-Rod

Posted by: HotNats | July 3, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Did you see Riggleman as they came off the field. Almost no expression at all. I guess he's serious about the don't get too high or too low stuff.

Posted by: marathoner | July 3, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Like Yogi said, "It ain't over til it's over."....I turned away when the Mets had their big inning figuring it was over..came back though...as one poster said..homers should not have left...missed a good one..even if Mets did blow it...a win is a win....

Posted by: pentagon40 | July 3, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

The win of the year so far...sweet!!!

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 3, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout that, boys & girls - Bang, Zoom!! It wasn't pretty, but it's a win.

Posted by: BinM | July 3, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe what I just saw.

Turning to SNY now to savor the Mets analysts pulling their hair out.

Posted by: KenNat | July 3, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

That was definitely a sweet win. Have to say that I was embarrassed (but not surprised) by that shot of red-clad fans streaming out of the CF gate in the top of the 9th. What can I say? They missed one heck of a finish.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 3, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Great Finish - but think Dunn had a home run. The ball bounced back so fast it must have hit the top of the fence that's behind the wall rather than the top of the padded wall. But a win is a win.

Nats

Posted by: jrlandolt | July 3, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

kev29 what game did you watch today.I was there and the crowd was mostly nats fans.Each time the mets fans started there chant the nat fans booed them down.I was really surprised how many fans stayed to the end rooting for the nats.A number of people always leave early regardless of whos pitching.Go to the game next before being so down on our fans.I was very proud of the locals today.

Posted by: mdh204a | July 3, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

On the replays you could see an indentation where it had hit on top of the padded wall.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 3, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

mdh, it looked like a mass exodus in the camera shot. Half Street was completely filled with people from the station to the ballpark, and they also filled the CF plaza as they headed out. I will say that those who remained could clearly be heard cheering, once the Nats gave them something to cheer about. Earlier, it sounded like a home game for the Mets. (And I always stay to the last out when I'm there.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 3, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

If any of you want to get real kick out of the Met fan reactions, go to wfan.com and just listen, I am loving this, they want to fire everybody...lol

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 3, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

natswin natswin natswin on Natonal TV

Posted by: Brue | July 3, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

To echo Mr. Buck, a ton of props to Capps, coming in with 2 on and no one down and getting Wright, Davis & Bay out to set up this amazing finish!

Posted by: HotNats | July 3, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 5:12 PM

Care to amend or expand those remarks?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | July 3, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Dunn's shot missed going out by, at most, an inch and a half. That gate behind the padding is chain link, with a (3"?) pipe rail at the top. That's what the ball hit (in play by the ground rules, I figure, since it's part of the wall at that point).

And Pagan only missed catching it by maybe six inches, wide left.

But that Pudge! Best $6MM they'll ever spend.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 3, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Not that I disagree with your basic point, but don't go by the crowd noise you hear on TV. Fans behind home, up high under the booth, can drown out the rest of the place.
***********

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2010 6:32 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 3, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a relative newbie and was there today only because of our wonderful neighbor, who has season tickets but couldn't use today's and gave them to us. There was indeed a mass exodus after the Mets got the 3-run lead, but not by my group! This was SO COOL! But I'd definitely do it again without the win... could I be on my way to being a "real" fan? ;)

And at least in my newbie mind, Strasburg looked fine, at least after the first inning. Isn't an off day for him an on day for most others?

Posted by: skidge | July 3, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey newbie skidge, welcome.

It can be tough being a Nats fan, but it sounds like you have what it takes.

Stay with it.

Posted by: KenNat | July 3, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Sunshine. It ended up being a great win. But why do you have to be such a jackass?

Posted by: egoodman8 | July 3, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdh204a | July 3, 2010 8:34 PM |

Posted by: Kev29 | July 4, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I've been to two Strasburg starts with my plan tickets this summer. I have plenty of experience with our fans and everyone else's fans at the Park. It was clear that a ton of people left - it was also clear that there were plenty of Mets fans during their rallies. Whatever, there always will be. Joe Buck and Millar kept laughing at the people who left in the 9th. It's an issue - but will become less of one if people come to see a team that can be relied on to compete. Maybe it's a good thing that a lot of people were sorry they left.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 4, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, KenNat!

Posted by: skidge | July 4, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, skidge, and good job on staying to the end.

---

Posted by: skidge | July 3, 2010 10:07 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 4, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

For the record, I didn't think sunshine was being an a$$ (not that it matters what I think). I thought it was kinda funny, but that's just me. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 4, 2010 6:50 AM | Report abuse

I would say that any Nats fan who can find something to complain about after yesterday's game should reorient their view of things. What a terrific game, that didn't feel like it was going to be one, at least from our side, until the bottom of the 9th. And, more broadly, what a strange and wonderful game baseball is.

Posted by: markfromark | July 4, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

That was a nice win yesterday and yes i was surprised but there are so many glaring fundamental weaknesses with this team it ain't even funny, as far as the home fans are concerned they're a collective joke not knowing how to cheer down opposing fans to an absolute lack of enthusiasm during the game it's almost like the fans don't have a clue about fan etiquette (they don't) look as a fan of the game(50 plus yrs) i sometimes shake my head at the young fan of today because a lot of them never played the game (organized or sandlot) forgive me, they play( wii,xbox,play station) just not outside, DC has a long way to go to become a baseball town and as a native washingtonian that hurts.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 4, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse