Game 98 discussion thread: Nationals at Brewers

The Nationals are in the middle of one of their best offensive stretches this season, which is not all that much. They have scored at least five runs in four consecutive games only three times this season, and one of those spurts has come in the past four games. The Nats have scored 399 runs this season, which is 25th in the majors.

The Nats will need to continue that trend in order to provide J.D. Martin with some rare support. Martin has allowed more than three earned runs in just two of his eight starts, but the Nationals are still 1-7 in games he pitches. Much of that owes the 3.74 runs per game the Nats average when he pitches.,

As Martin tries to recover his six-run start in Cincinnati, the Nats will face a lefty for the second straight night in Manny Parra. Talk about the game right here.

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 24, 2010; 7:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joel Peralta earning more significant bullpen role
Next: J.D. Martin's early exit a manager's decision

Comments

Should be interesting to see what happens if this lineup is successful. I know the answer, of course. Nyjer is back in tomorrow, and Morse and Gonzo sit back down. Rigs is a strictly a lefty-righty guy. So what if our hottest hitter is on the bench. Thought the object of this game is to WIN. Maybe they think it is to get everybody at bats, and winning is a bonus.

Nobody asked Rigs about the Morse double-switch after the game last night? That tells me something about the beat writers, too.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | July 24, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

It it just me or does anyone else see Pudge has no power at all left; anything he tries to pull is a weak groundball and unless he hits it on a line to right he isn't dangerous at bat anymore. He's often late on fastballs. Maybe he's just tired but its hard to tell him and Babe Nieves apart at the plate nowadays.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | July 24, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess you can't become too predictable, but it does seem like every hit he gets is to right. I haven't paid close attention but assume everybody pitches him in now because they see it too.

Posted by: marathoner | July 24, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

J.D. is doing all he can to ensure Balester gets some innings tonight.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | July 24, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Lee maybe you should check the little sidebar on the left that says recent posts there you will find stuff about the Morse double switch.

Posted by: 2010johara | July 24, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not as sold on Morse as a lot of folks are, but even I have to ask how he can't, get a stretch of starts. And yes I mean more than two. Oops.

Posted by: marathoner | July 24, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBinDC | July 24, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Bad, bad decision to let the guy get hit on the head and remain in the game...all players hit in the head while at bat should be removed from the game and hospitalized overnite for observation...

If that player collapses later say in the dug out or at his hotel then the whole organization will come under fire...

Posted by: pentagon40 | July 24, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I did, johara. Nobody asked about it last night. NJ went crazy during the game, that's what generated the Kilgore post. The questions came up earlier today. Guess the media didn't think it was important - kinda makes one wonder.

Can somebody please identify the coach who is in charge of baserunning on this team? We seem to make bonehead plays out there on a more-than regular basis. We are worse than a Little League team, I swear. Either most of the players are just dumb baserunners (probable) or the coaching staff doesn't bother to teach it (also more than possible).

Posted by: LeeM9308 | July 24, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Desmond scalds the ball to center, Edmonds makes a great play. Desmond out the next inning in another double switch. But hey, at least Kennedy is now in the line up.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 24, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman is burning arms tonight with Detwiler on a short leash tomorrow. Might come back to haunt us.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | July 24, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

On the radio they are pointing out that Kennedy has played a fair bit of first base this year coming in for Dunn. They're wondering why not Kennedy to first and Gonzo to second with the switch?

Posted by: marathoner | July 24, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Charlie and Dave should co-manage for us.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | July 24, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Yikes!

Posted by: marathoner | July 24, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

wow nyjer. Dunn, you ready ?

Posted by: JT2009 | July 24, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Amazing bunt by Morgan pinch hitting for Morse. Brewers didn't know what to do with it.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

And the Nats finally get a call! Oh my lol!

Posted by: amorris525 | July 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Tie game with a short sac fly by Dunn!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Why not send Willingham ?????? again. He aggressively stayed at 3rd

Posted by: JT2009 | July 24, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

So, with based loaded and no out, riggs would rather have dunn then nieves, than pudge then dunn????

And Listach continues to have no clue....with 2 outs you think there is a better chance that Alberto drives in the run than the rf makes an accurate throw on the run???

Posted by: sollazo | July 24, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Crazy bottom of the ninth!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 24, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

The comeback was all for nothing, but with our bench all used up, we were doomed anyway.

Posted by: thepostischeap | July 24, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm so incredibly frustrated. Which is the more likely option: Hammer scoring on a tag-up with the right fielder off balance or Gonzalez geting a two-out hit? We have the worst third base coach in the history of the game. I'm sick of him not letting runners try to score. Can we PLEASE clean house after the season?

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | July 24, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the Nats find a way to lose a game with poor coaching. Why Willingham isn't sent is contrary to all Riggleman seems to preach, which is aggressive baseball. Or so he says.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 24, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Do Listach/Riggleman et al realize this is a last place team ???? really, what do the Nats have to lose ???? Rizzo - again, really an endorsement for Riggleman at this point in time ?

Posted by: JT2009 | July 24, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Yay!!! Riggleman/ the reat of the coaches on this sub .500 (but better than last year!) team coaches! I'm on the west coast, so didn't get to see the game (stinking LAA's!). Bases loaded, no outs and they score one freakin' run?
Way to Go Nats!!

And the losing continues...sigh....

Posted by: M20832 | July 24, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

"You sing the praise of a guy on this team and it will cause his mind to cloud .......... so now Morse has gone dumb !!!!!!!"

@CBinDC,

Well you can use the same patent excuse Riggles uses for Harris and Kennedy. They are rusty from lack of use (misuse), mea culpa says Riggleman. And if its a regular player the excuse for base path faux pas is "they were being aggressive".

Now, why can't we use those excuses for Morse? Instead Riggleman pinch hits Morgan for Morse.

Riggle, wiggle, and we all get to giggle.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-just home from work.....MASN was showing the O's on our only feed. Sounds like I should be glad I'm only hot due to the temperature. Then again, sounds like SO many of our efforts. A bone to pick-I may be old (53), but I DO know this team (and the game!) . Over at our twin site(Insider), someone accused me of confusing Dunn with the Hammer! Weren't me-STILL can't get any posts up over there! I'm MUCH aggrieved! (OK, not really...actually sorta flattered!)
And I may be far removed from my last level of active participation in the game (college in the '70's), but I'm still involved-at least mentally. And this team....where's the spark? I'm sure they're all playing hard, blahblahblah.
But somethings' missing, and I'm not referring to our talent level hear. If you remember, I was touting a Posnanski piece on Stras in which Johnny Bench is compared to Harper...and I'm beginning to hope/think that when he gets here, the athletic arrogance Harper seems to possess that some find distasteful? Well, maybe it's just what this team needs (my pal Mic insists he's gonna bring it. Too bad he's a few years away.)But this team...it's the same old litany of almost, coulda, if only, but for,....and ALWAYS it's WAIT til NEXT time.
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | July 25, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and Peri-are you and JayB one and the same? Just curious-appreciate both? of your takes- your willingness to hold feet to fires and take some unpopular stances. But you know what? Same goes for the rest of you, Gang....I've said it before, but the only consistently entertaining and "quality" aspect of this franchise is this blog and its' contributors (all caveats regarding our "twin" site and a few others).Thanks, good night and >sigh<
Go Nats!!!