Justin Maxwell sent to Syracuse for Luis Atilano

As expected, the Nationals optioned outfielder Justin Maxwell to Class AAA Syracuse in order to make room for Luis Atilano, Tuesday night's starting pitcher. Maxwell has now been optioned four times this season, adding to two seasons spent toggling between the minors and majors.

"The game's not frustrating," Maxwell said. "The process can be. Like I said before, I'm not worried about all that other crap. I just want to play."

Maxwell had six plate appearances since the Nationals promoted him July 9, idle for the majority of his stint. Maxwell, 26, met with Manager Jim Riggleman and General Manager Mike Rizzo late tonight. He saw the decision coming and was not angry, just curious about his future.

"I asked them, 'Is this how it's going to be?' " Maxwell said. "They just said, 'You're the guy with options.' I said, 'Okay.' That makes sense. They want me to play every day and I want to play every day. Considering I'm the only guy with options on the team and I'm not a left-handed batter, I'm the odd man out. But I know God has a plan for me and it's all going to work itself out."

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 19, 2010; 11:44 PM ET
Categories:  Justin Maxwell , Pitching rotation , minors & farm system
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 93 discussion thread: Nationals at Reds
Next: Ivan Rodriguez's regression to the mean in full swing

Comments

You're hitting .105, you've never hit well at the major league level, not even really in AAA/AA, you have options and you aren't a veteran to be "respected"? What do you expect?

Posted by: periculum | July 20, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

From a fellow Terp, good luck, Max.

Posted by: nats24 | July 20, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Send the rest of the team down, until they can score some runs.

Posted by: mercury00 | July 20, 2010 5:06 AM | Report abuse

>>"I asked them, 'Is this how it's going to be?' " Maxwell said.

I have often wanted to ask Mike Rizzo the same question.

Posted by: 08Cubs | July 20, 2010 5:31 AM | Report abuse

I KNOW Maxwell can hit, but he hasn't done so yet. I'd like to see him in right with Bernadina in center and Gonzales at second -- I'd bet we'd cut our errors down by about half.

And maybe we might bring Maldonado up. He's certainly as good as anyone we've put behind the plate since the All-Star break.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | July 20, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

The poor dude has no idea how bad he is because he's in the twilight zone with this organization. He thinks this is a real team and that he has something to contribute. They just keep him around to pretend that they have something in the minors on the way. If they started him for three weeks straight, it would be so embarassing they'd never be able to utter anything about their position players in the pipeline again. What are they gonna do, bring up a 30+ Kevin Mench? That wouldn't look like it was part of the plan. Maxwell's 6'6", and he couldn't cover his strike zone if he was 5'8".

Posted by: Brue | July 20, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

How amny options doe he have left?

Posted by: hansenjo | July 20, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

As a huge Terp fan, I really hope things work out for him. He may struggle at times at the plate but, I will say this for him, he has the right attitude about the game and life.

Good Luck Justin.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 20, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't the organization try optioning the Lerners and Kasten to the minors?

Posted by: RiverOtis | July 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

The kid has plenty of talent, and I think he will eventually be successful in the majors. He has to work on his swing though, he drops his front shoulder (really his entire front half) as he's getting ready to swing, and then is left swinging up at the ball. Changing eye levels like that makes it very difficult to hit anything above around .100, but I'm sure it's something the coaching staff will address in the minors.

Posted by: aldo_raine | July 20, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

No energy, no emotion. Just strikeout and walk back to the dugout.

Posted by: boyn4884 | July 20, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: aldo_raine

Never confuse athletic talent with baseball skill. Biggest mistake you can make. Bowden made it all the time. He's so screwed up that he dives out over the plate as if he doesn't have the reach to cover the outside corner (which is ludicrous with his long arms) because he doesn't know where the corner is, so he ends up swinging even farther off the plate because he's diving. When pitchers see that, they bust him inside. That's why it looks like he's swinging under the ball, when actually he can't get his arms extended on inside pitches. He's not quick enough to get the bat head into the hitting zone. They can bust him either in or out, doesn't matter, as long as they make him conscious of either one, he can't locate the opposite corner of the plate. He shouldn't be diving into ANYTHING. He can't straighten up like Frank Howard did because, again, he's afraid he can't make contact and cover the plate at the same time. It's like he's trying to place the bat on the ball, which never works. It's a little league approach imo.

Posted by: Brue | July 20, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Morgan, Harris, Nieves can stay? I'm not saying J-Max is a major league talent, but I am saying that these three are not. Why not find our starting 8 and play them every day. Every day. Not rocket science. Just baseball.

Posted by: 6thandD | July 20, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse