Miguel Batista reaches out to Miss Iowa

As Miguel Batista walked out to shag batting practice today, I stopped him and asked if he had seen a picture of Miss Iowa.

"You mean Katherine Connors?" Batista said. "Yeah, she's gorgeous. Gorgeous."

See, it seems Batista's amazing quote last night comparing himself to Miss Iowa and Stephen Strasburg to Miss Universe has been misinterpreted. Batista's point was not that the crowd was getting a bad pitcher/ugly pageant contestant. It was that they thought they were getting that, and ended up with something different altogether -- five innings of shutout ball/a beautiful woman.

"People started booing me, and they hadn't seen me throw a pitch yet," Batista said. "It's like you hear Miss Iowa, and you say, 'Iowa?' And then you see her up close and you say, 'Wow, she's gorgeous.' "

Batista wanted to make sure Miss Iowa understood his sentiment. He arranged for flowers to be sent to Connors. "Hopefully," he said, "they get there today."

It's a good thing, because it seems Miss Iowa is none too pleased with Batista. Hopefully, the flowers and the explanation can pitch thing up.

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 28, 2010; 5:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: J.D. Martin remaining optimistic
Next: Stephen Strasburg shut down for two days, could start Sunday

Comments

Katherine Connors is indeed awfully hot.

I am waiting for posters to make comical connections to the J-Lo at 4:00 a.m. brilliance from back in the day.

Posted by: dfh21 | July 28, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Miguel's a smart guy and he seems to be right, what he said was subtler than we all thought. What's great is that he gets an interesting invitation out of it -
The Miss USA folks weren’t done, with this statement being released by Craig Heitkamp, executive co-director of the Miss Iowa Pageant:

“Congratulations to Mr. Batista for an outstanding pitching performance last night. Sometimes it’s great to see the underdog win. We would like to formally invite Mr. Batista to serve on the judging panel at the Miss Iowa USA Pageant October 23 & 24 in Ames, Iowa.”

Posted by: jonb5 | July 28, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

The more I get to know Miguel Batista, the more I love him. But could he become the Willie Harris of the bullpen?

Posted by: paulkp | July 28, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

"I know I can throw a pitch or two!" Katherine Connors, the 20-year-old Bettendorf native said in a statement today. "The question is, can Miguel Batista walk the runway in a swimsuit?"
---------------------------------------------

Sounds like Miss Connors is daring the Nationals organization to invite her to throw out the first pitch at a future Nats game. Perhaps the game could be tied in to a corn promotion.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | July 28, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Alright, this is getting ridiculous. I wait all day for Nats info, and new a deluge! How's anyone gonna follow a thread-or get my props to my fellow Gangsters!
And now for (maybe) a squabble starter. WHile I got no complaints with AK, and undoubtably he knows more baseball (AND probably likes it-always a plus!)than the departed Chico....I do think he was the better wordsmith. I mean, he could really slip in the knife without you even knowing it. Never shied away from nimble descriptions of the wretchedness of '09. Now - while certainly last years' edition of the Nats provided many more....err.... opportunities?....well, stick around, huh? The trends are looking up for slicing and dicing-just look at our work here! (At least I haven't taken to calling 'em the "Nots".Plus, Chico's just a cool name!Ha!)
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | July 28, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-and while I'm at it...and since there are no comments to go with the story.. I wish J.D. well. He's a guy I root for-hung in there and hung in there. Throws strikes. Seems more predictable than most of our other #5 (6?) starters. I believe a 1st round or sandwich pick of the Tribe back in..
..I suppose I could look it up, but I'm too lazy. He's been fighting to stay around for a while though, and I hope he can catch a break. Another cool moniker,too!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | July 28, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@Striker:
Despite giving me the earworm earlier today, I'm with you on this - Get Ms. Conners out here to throw out a 1st pitch, with Batista as her 'catcher'. Nice promo, and a "make nice" opportunity as well.

Posted by: BinM | July 28, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

She's definitely suh-mokin. Batitsta's smart because hey - how else could he engage a 20 year old hottie like that? Gotta get their attention first. YEAH

Posted by: Brue | July 28, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-Re-posting AND combining:
And while I'm at it...and since there are no comments to go with the story...I wish J.D. well. He's a guy I root for-hung in there and hung in there. Throws strikes. Seems more predictable than most of our other #5 (6?) starters. I believe a 1st round or sandwich pick of the Tribe back in ....early in the decade?I suppose I could look it up, but I'm too lazy. He's been fighting to stay around for a while though, and I hope he can catch a break. Another cool moniker,too!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | July 28, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-SHITE! Heats' gettin' to me!Sorry for re-posting to the same dang thread... kinda like Riggs' double switches. Sometimes got you scratching your head. Mebbe it's time to turn on the A.C., huh Gang?
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | July 28, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Sweet MAMA, Miss Iowa SHOULD be Miss Universe.... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | July 29, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm Miss Iowa... I'll trade my Strasburg tix for her debut at Nats Park anytime!! =P

Posted by: BrownBagIt | July 29, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse