Nationals to honor Andre Dawson

The Nationals will honor Hall of Fame inductee Andre Dawson, celebrating a piece of the franchise's history from before the Nationals existed. The Nationals will hold the ceremony for Dawson, a former Montreal Expo, on Aug. 10 when they host the Marlins, for whom Dawson works as a special assistant in the front office.

This weekend, Dawson joined Gary Carter and Tony Perez as Hall of Famers with ties to the Expos, which ceased to exist when the franchise was moved to Washington for the 2005 season.

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 27, 2010; 1:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In-game chat: Nationals vs. Braves
Next: Today's lineups

Comments

Nice to honor Dawson, though the connection to Montreal is so strained. NO ONE in that park on August 10 will be thinking of the great mempries they had of watching the Hawk throw guys out from the wall of Olympic Stadium or anything.

Ok, so rumors are Guzman, Capps, Willingham and Dunn are drawing interest. I am guessing Guzman and Capps get moved. Capps to Minn or maybe NYY, Guzman to Philly, Texas or the Dodgers.

Posted by: dfh21 | July 27, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Eh, whatever re. Dawson. Nice for heritage Expos fans, I guess.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Weak. How about doing something and honoring the DC Baseball tradition. How about putting up a real Flag for the World Series win in 1924 and pennant winner in 1933?

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals should honor Whitey Herzog, who played for Washington in the late 1950s.

I suggest that we do the poor fans of Montreal no favors by commemorating Expos history in Washington. The memories and history belong to them, and are all they have left. Many many of us here know all too well what that feels like.

Posted by: KenNat | July 27, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree entirely with KenNAT. If you did not play with the Minnesota Nationals or Texas Senators, you are not of NATS lineage. The White Rat fits the bill. He should be honored.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | July 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. Nationals lineage is NOT the Twins or Rangers. Our team records went to Minnesota and Texas. Team lineage is Montreal. But since few of us identify with the Expos, there's little point in honoring Dawson, a great player who just never played here.

I don't even think we should have named ourselves Nationals/Senators, after two failed franchises that left town. Nor should we have anything to do with that curly W.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 27, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the Nationals should honor Washington baseball history -- and they do. When they played the Orioles earlier this season and each team wore their 1970 uniforms to commemmorate the Orioles' WS win that year, the Nats wore Senators, not Expos, uniforms.

But it seems churlish to deprive Andre Dawson some recognition. Who is hurt by this? Do you really believe that people in Montreal, nursing their memories and grievances, will be traumatized by a 10-minute ceremony (if that) on the field before the Marlins game?

Posted by: Meridian1 | July 27, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It is reported that Dunn wants 4 years $60M form the Nats (per Jason Stark)-- if that is true, the Nats need to take that deal right now. Dunn is going to fetch much more than that if he hits free agency.

Posted by: dfh21 | July 27, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I can only speak for myself, but I would have been annoyed by any Rangers or Twins adoption of Washington baseball history.

When at the Metrodome a few years ago, I was pleased that among the Twins banners, I did not see any for 1924, 1925, and 1933. Maybe I missed something.

As for any slight, I guess if Dawson feels a strong connection with the Washington Nationals, I'd be OK with a brief ceremony. But I bet he doesn't.

Posted by: KenNat | July 27, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

This isn't about Montreal or DC; it's about Andre Dawson. He was inducted as an Expo, and since that franchise moved here, this is the right place to have a ceremony.

Stinks for him that he can't be honored in front of a crowd of Expo fans, but I really don't get how anyone would object in the least to the guy being honored in our park.

He played the game hard (to the point of destroying his body), apparently without chemical enhancement, and is universally respected as much as any player of that era.

If I'm at the game, I'll be more than happy to give him a standing "O" (and that's a good "O", not the slimy Balmer kind).

Posted by: joebleux | July 27, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfh21 | July 27, 2010 4:25 PM
_________________________________

No way he gets that in FA. I see him settling for 3 years 40-45M at best. He may get more (per year) if he agrees to a 2/yr deal. But 4/60M is something that he will never see IMO.

Posted by: TimDz | July 27, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Waste of 10 minutes in front of rows of empty blue seats (unless its a SS start). The guy played for the Cubs and that team still exists, let the Wrigly faithful shower him with the well deserved adulations.

On another topic, looks like Rizzo is trying to deal Dunn for two Sox players, a pitcher and a catcher or outfielder or infielder. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and keep Edwin Jackson in Arizona.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 27, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Forget about honoring him - I'm thinking he would fit into the six spot very nicely.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 27, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I'm Roland from Montreal )

There's absolutely no connection between Dawson and the city of Washington, he never played there... He played for the Montreal Expos for 11 years. Your team was never the "Expos"..., it was the Nationals from your day one. The Washinton Nationals have obviously no Hall-Of-Famers since 2005. Dawson was never a Washington National.

Posted by: Roland-KC-Chayer | August 3, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse