Ryan Zimmerman finishes second in final All-Star vote

Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman fell just short in his bid to make a second straight All-Star team, finishing runner-up to Cincinnati first baseman Joey Votto in the four-day fan voting for the 34th and final spot.

Votto led the final fan voting from wire-to-wire and finished with 13.7 million total votes, the most among any of the final candidates. The Yankees' Nick Swisher beat out Boston's Kevin Youklis, among others, for the final spot on the AL team.

Zimmerman is hitting .296 with 16 home runs and 47 RBI and is on the short list of best fielders in the game at his position. Votto, however, is hitting .313 with an NL-leading 21 homers and 59 RBI. Votto also is considered perhaps the leading candidate for NL MVP.

"I'm not" disappointed, Zimmerman said. "If I had better numbers or a better first half, then I would be, but I think Votto deserves it. The guys at third base, [David] Wright and [Scott] Rolen played a great first half, and they deserved to be there."

By Gene Wang  |  July 8, 2010; 6:47 PM ET
Categories:  Ryan Zimmerman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats try to get Adam Kennedy more involved
Next: Nationals agree to terms with three picks

Comments

Wow. Matt Capps from the Nats and not Zimm. No offense Matt, but that's a joke.

Posted by: sknyluv | July 8, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Got all these fingertip blisters for nothing.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 9, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Nice show of class by Zimmerman.

Posted by: Hondo5 | July 9, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I thought this was the right result because Zimm is a tad off this year, especially with his throws, so Wright made sense as the starter, and Votto is having a great season. But man did Zimm make a rush that last week. I haven't seen people talk about him this way, but he's really a streak hitter. When he's hot you just can't get him out and he'll likely win any tie game he comes to bad in in the 9th.

Posted by: markfromark | July 9, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Sign Adam Dunn as soon as possible. Guys like him are rare. And what a great clubhouse guy to have around!! Man, do I like that Gonzalaz kid, we've got to get him in there more, I know its tough, maybe next year if Guzman leaves.

Posted by: exexpofan | July 10, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse