Today's lineup

Ian Desmond is back in the lineup after not starting for four of the past five games. Ivan Rodriguez, having played three days in a row, is off in favor of Wil Nieves. Michael Morse will take right against left-handed Mets starter Johan Santana.

Nationals
Nyjer Morgan, CF
Cristian Guzman, 2B
Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
Adam Dunn, 1B
Josh Willingham, LF
Michael Morse, RF
Ian Desmond, SS
Wil Nieves, C
Livan Hernandez, SP

By Adam Kilgore  |  July 1, 2010; 2:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Strasburg up for an ESPY
Next: Mets lineup

Comments

Cue the why is Nyger playing center over Bernadina with a left hander on the mound in 3...2...1...

FWIW, Bernadina has never faced Santana, Morgan is 1-6 with a triple.

Short answer, Riggs is the manager, he makes the call, up to us to support him and the boys. I will be there for 3 of 4 this holiday weekend to cheer them on!

Posted by: BigTrain | July 1, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Nieves?

I rather have Flores playing and he can't even throw back to the pitcher yet. This guy is just plan bad, I rather have anyone other than him as Pudge's backup.

Posted by: tcostant | July 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posting early...apparently I have missed something down the line...where is Martis who pitched so well early last year but ws sent down...I haven't heard a word aboout him this year??? Curious minds want to know....

Posted by: pentagon40 | July 1, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Pentagon: He's in Syracuse. 5-5 in 15 starts. 4.07 ERA. Meh.

Posted by: Bethesdangit1 | July 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Desmond's back! The Errorism Threat Level is being moved to Orange.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | July 1, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'll be covering 3 late next week, BigTrain (and P-Nats/fireworks on the 4th). Who has the con for the middle innings, er, Nats games?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 1, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Nieves isn't great, but he's the only option behind Pudge. It is what it is. But WHY is Morgan, a lefty, in CF instead of Bernadina against a lefty pitcher? Plus Morgan has gone longer without day off than Bernadina has. Man, I would love to support Riggs, but his moves really confuse me sometimes.

Posted by: thepostischeap | July 1, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The concept that I need to support my manager no matter that he appears clueless eludes me.

Riggleman lost in Chicago with a much better team.

Morgan is not a ML player. Everybody but Nyjer and Riggleman know it.

Posted by: bflorhodes | July 1, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

To Big Train, Bernadina also bats lefthanded!

Posted by: hokiepokster92 | July 1, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Mike Morse a plus. Nieves and Desmond a minus. One step forward, two steps back.

Posted by: trezmartin | July 1, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Morgan is playing center field,and will continue to play center field, is because the general manager traded for him and does not want to look foolish and admit that it was a bad trade.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 1, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Does continuing to leave Morgan in and letting him suck actually draw less attention to the GM -- or make the GM look better -- than benching the guy? I don't think so.

Also, before we label the Morgan deal a "bad" trade, let's remember who we got rid of. At worst, the deal looks like a wash.

Posted by: js_edit | July 1, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse