An update on Bryce Harper and the Nationals' draft

There's not much coming out of the Nationals' front office today, not surprising given the sensitivity of negotiations. From what I gather, there's an upbeat mood in the Nationals offices and both Team President Stan Kasten and General Manager Mike Rizzo, some eight hours before the deadline, still expect to have Bryce Harper signed by the midnight deadline.

One semi-educated guess for the bonus money: $10.9 million. That's a tidy 75% percent more than Donovan Tate's bonus from last year, currently the largest bonus ever given to a high school-aged player. That also gets Harper's deal north of Mark Teixeira's total package of $10.5 million from 2001, the most a position player has ever received in one draft deal.

Baseball America's Jim Callis, who is an Oracle-like, go-to source on these draft signings, has reported the Nationals signed three key draft choices, all pitchers, for well over the slot value MLB recommends. Callis's numbers:

-Second-round choice Sammy Solis, a left-hander from the University of San Diego, signed for $1 million.

-Fourth-rounder A.J. Cole, a high school right-hander from Florida who had a commitment to Miami, signed for $2 million, $500,000 more than any fourth-round pick had ever signed for previously. Cole had first-round talent but dropped because teams worried about how much he'd cost to sign.

-Twelfth-rounder Robbie Ray, a high school left-hander who had committed to Arkansas, signed for $799,000, just $1,000 less than any other pick this year after the fourth round.

Assuming Harper signs tonight, those three signings mean the Nationals will have signed 25 of their top 26 choices. Virginia Tech shortstop Tim Smalling, Washington's 14th-round choice, will not sign with the Nationals, according to Hokies Coach Pete Hughes. Smalling suffered a shoulder injury in his final game this season.

By Adam Kilgore  |  August 16, 2010; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  Bryce Harper
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bryce Harper gives Nationals another chance to step forward
Next: Nationals announce signing of Robbie Ray

Comments

According to Bill Ladson: "A last-minute problem has surfaced between the Nationals and right-hander A.J. Cole, which means the two parties may not be doing a deal, according to a baseball source. It's not known what the problem is."

Posted by: periculum | August 16, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Callis says the 'snag' is the physical, which means he'll either pass it or he won't

Posted by: swanni | August 16, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1 | August 16, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

>peri, I think Jim Callis of Baseball America has reported that the only hangup is for Cole to complete a physical. It doesn't sound like a dealbreaker.

Posted by: baltova1

Who cares what you think? What are you, camp counselor? Huh?

JUST SIGN HARPER ALREADY

Posted by: Brue | August 16, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what you think? What are you, camp counselor? Huh?

---

Posted by: baltova1 | August 16, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

>Brue, you might want to back off a little. Junior high doesn't start for another few weeks. You don't want to peak too early.

Posted by: baltova1

Oh big tough guy. I get this way when the best teenage power hitting prospect since Mickey Mantle needs to be signed. You just happen to be in the room.

Posted by: Brue | August 16, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Brue is being Brue. AK reported the Ladson story. Othrs think since Ladson is MLB he was backing off after reporting as true the 1st Calis reports. Cole will be a on the team. Harper will be siged between 10:00 and 11:00 pm. There is not that much to argue about this time.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 16, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Hell, I'd be happy if Harper was the next Mickey Cochrane.

Posted by: js_edit | August 16, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Brue, you watch a lot of pro wrestling, don't you?

Posted by: baltova1 | August 16, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Lets hope somebody slips a mickey to Brue.

Posted by: Drew8 | August 16, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

We need Harper. Pay the man. But I don't understand why the Nats are paying so much above slot to the subsequent draft picks. Can anyone shed some light on it? I can't help but think this may make it harder for us to sign big name free agents in the future as they may think Rizzo and Kasten will cave.

Posted by: smartheart | August 16, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

>Brue, you watch a lot of pro wrestling, don't you?

Posted by: baltova1

Can't even have a decent match with a nerd. Even an angry one. It just fortifies my theory that most nerds aren't that bright. They're just nerds.

SIGN HARPER ALREADY

Posted by: Brue | August 16, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Brue, I got you all wrong.

You're a Jim Rome listener...

Posted by: baltova1 | August 16, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

>Sorry, Brue, I got you all wrong.

Posted by: baltova1

You get everything wrong. Problem is you won't shut up.

Save it

Twittering Ladson right now

I'm going for a smoothie

Posted by: Brue | August 16, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I love you, Brue. I won't shut up, and you actually leave a post that tells people where you're going. Then you use your cute little Geico Caveman commercial catch phrase. You have a catch phrase!

You're like Jimmie "J.J." Walker! Or Urkel!

We'll miss you, Brue. (just not very much)

Posted by: baltova1 | August 16, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

>I love you, Brue. I won't shut up

Posted by: baltova1

If you love me you'll shut up. You'll have to do that if we're going to maintain a healthy, loving relationship. Maybe I'll just have to face the fact that I can't help you with your anger, only embarrass you for it.

Btw, can't wait for Stank to shoot his mouth off about how much they had to overpay their marginal draft picks.

Posted by: Brue | August 16, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Brue, I have no anger. I think you're pathetic, usually worth a laugh and a snarky comment. But this is getting old. If you don't like my comments, either ignore them or offer your own in response. But don't tell me to shut up, don't tell me to stop posting and don't insult me. If you keep it up, I'll start reporting your comments.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 16, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

> I'll start reporting your comments.

Posted by: baltova1

No, you're getting old. Btw, are you threatening me?

Posted by: Brue | August 16, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

The last post was plain enough for you to figure it out.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 16, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Girls, girls, stop it. Focus on the forthcoming Harper signing.

Posted by: horseydeucey | August 16, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

where is everyone going to discuss the harper signing in the final hour?

Posted by: burnsrb | August 16, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse