Calling all Nats fans

In September, The Post will introduce a new reader-driven blog for fans, by fans, focused solely on Washington sports. To fill out our roster of fan bloggers, we're looking for two of our best, most diehard Nats fans to weigh in on whatever's happening in the world of D.C. baseball. While we'll ask all bloggers to occasionally weigh in on all the Washington teams, we're particularly interested in having a pair of established Nationals voices as part of the project.

We're not just looking for regular fans, we're looking for fans who live and breathe the team, who are always scrambling for more information on Justin Maxwell's range statistics and how Derek Norris is hitting in the minors, who have considered looking up how many innings Jim Riggleman let Kerry Wood pitch in each of his rookie starts with the Cubs and occasionally read up on how things are going in Potomac, even if they haven't been there.

Although the blog will not launch until September, you can get started right away by filling out this form.

By Mitch Rubin  |  August 19, 2010; 6:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 121 discussion thread: Nationals at Braves
Next: John Lannan getting 'back on track'

Comments

"To fill out our roster of fan bloggers, we're looking for two of our best, most diehard Nats fans to weigh in on whatever's happening in the world of D.C. baseball."

Translation: "We're doing a serious salary dump, hope some of you out there write well, know your baseball, know your Nats, and will work for free."

Or are these paid position?

(Not that I'd qualify anyway...)

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 19, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

You want it. You know you do.

Hey, I'm knowledgeable. I can write. I'm funny. I'm prolific. I'm a known quantity. I can go on the Caps, Mystics, Terps b-ball and f-ball, as well as the Nats. I will rant at length about the Team Who's Name Must Change (hmmm... maybe I'd better not mention that right up front...) I'm tanned (and then some), rested, and ready.
I've even got a title!
***********
Or are these paid position?
(Not that I'd qualify anyway...)

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 19, 2010 6:49 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Srsly, is all that to characterize the kind of blog they're looking for--stat-heavy--or just AK's way of illustrating how into the team they want you to be?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm a die-hard Nats fan, but I don't think I have the ego for blogging. I'll stick to commenting, thanks. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 19, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

If this is to supplement the existing coverage, then praise and thanks. If this is to offset reduced professional coverage, then I will be canceling my paid subscription to the paper forthwith. As it is, I read the stories online at least 50% of the time anyway. But I continue to pay my "dues" via home delivery subscription. I realize the Post and other papers can't win, and have to be creative. But let there be no doubt. A large part of my loyalty to the paper revolves around the baseball coverage. If it dwindles away I'll be less motivated to contribute to the cause.... (but if this is to augment coverage, again praise and thanks).

Posted by: natbiscuits | August 19, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@gilbert: I'm kinda with you here. This idea could take a bad turn quickly.

Does this blog become a home for "fluffers" regarding the entire Nationals orginization (cough *nats320* cough), or turn to the other end of the spectrum, where the all the angst, bitterness & jaundiced attitudes become 'sanctioned' by the WaPo (FJB, Needham, the Lerners are Cheap crowd, JayBee & many others)?

If the WaPo is seriously considering a fan-driven blog as a possibility, I'd rather see them 'reach out' to targeted individuals first, rather than doing a 'cattle call' for voices.

Posted by: BinM | August 19, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

BinM, as one of the people I'd target if I were doing it, whom would you suggest they contact?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about supplemental coverage, but how about the Post getting an editor to watch what Kilgore and group post. They posted a line-up today with 4 OF and no 1B. It's not a crime against humanity, but it is just one in a long list of posting errors. I know she is over at "First things First", aka "Hamiltime", but we need the Nats Blog Mom to look over these kids.

Posted by: McR-rich | August 19, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

As for SBF, he has a niche and he covers it. Nobody else does what he does. I don't get what the problem is. It's not like he's in here trolling every day, talking about shopping during games, or advocating more double-switches. Srsly, I don't understand the problem.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Editors.
Sigh.

That horse left the barn for the glue factory quite some time ago, I'm sorry to say.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

but 1a, whoever gets it, you should edit.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

FWIW - Get somebody to update the Natopshere links.
> Nationals Farm Authority has moved (http://natsfarm.com)
> Nationals Pride is now Nationals Daily News (http://www.nationalsdailynews.com)
> Oleanders and Morning Glories is a dead link. Do your own d**mned research.
> We've Got Heart seems to have become Nationals Fangirls (http://natsfangirls.com).

If you can, set a new category for "forums", and shift the Ballparkguys.com & Washington Nationals Fan Forum there. These are open dialogs / strings rather than websites, and need to be set apart, imo.

Posted by: BinM | August 19, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

and did I mention I still play? I've got a constituency. I have a treatment for a remake of "Damned Yankees." My father was a personal friend of Alphonso Bedoya!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

all of which, and then some, is why I'd hire you, BinM.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@sec3(sofa): I like Steven's insights as well, and go there frequently. I just noted him up as one of the more severe antagonists to whatever the team seems to be doing (he does have a history).

Posted by: BinM | August 19, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Not that any of this is new. How long did it take them to switch from Barry to Chico on the blog link? Six months?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

OK, now I'm confused.

****************
---------------

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

"As for SBF, he has a niche and he covers it."
-----
Screech's Best Friend, i.e., Nats320
who I know personally and like, he's interesting, but the blog...meh. Never read it.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Kevin won't be signing up as one of these bloggers. But he will be popping in on a regular basis to point out every which way in which they're lacking.

Posted by: nunof1 | August 19, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

@sec3(sofa): Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not sure I could deliver solid content on a regular basis like some of the others out there (Brian @NFA, S_D @NationalsProspects, Mike @Nationals Fanboy Looser, and a handful of others).

Posted by: BinM | August 19, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I would vote for Maddy ... he follows the Orioles as closely as the Nats and has a unique, yet objective, perspective. He goes to many games of both teams.

Posted by: periculum | August 19, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Yw, and that's why we aren't doing it already, isn't it?

************

Posted by: BinM | August 19, 2010 8:26 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

sec3(sofa): Yeah, and that kind of brings us back around to the original point. The WaPo wants 'everyday' bloggers to help them build content, and possibly generate webhits? Really?

Didn't they try this a year-or-two ago with Lindsay Applebaum's blog, where she kind of tracked other blogs, and 'reached-out' to individuals for their 15 minutes, before she shifted to the Capitals blog?

Posted by: BinM | August 19, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

This looks to me like just another example of the "you send the news in to us, 'cuz we won't go out and get it any more" mentality.

"Send us your pictures of the storm."
"Vote for your favorite hamburger joint."
"Call us now to voice your reaction..."

Once upon a time you wanted the newspapers and radio to tell you what was happening. Now they want YOU to tell THEM.

Newspapers are cutting back more and more all the time, and you get less and less news. Look at the dead tree edition next Sunday, and see how much space is taken by big fat pictures of celebrities, at the expense of the story they're supposedly reporting on.

Real news reporting is dying.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 19, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, Washington Post, but before I fill out the form, WHAT ARE YOU PAYING??!!

Posted by: jdsp2000 | August 19, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

What, you want I should give it away for free? ;-)

On a broader note, I'm with gilbert. I come here for old school, journalistic contributions. If I want to read fan blogs (even those written by folks who have worked in journalism), I know where to find them. But that's just me.

---

but 1a, whoever gets it, you should edit.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 19, 2010 8:00 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 19, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

This is a job for CoverageIsLacking! Where's he been?

Posted by: Section222 | August 19, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

you tell 'em, 1a1.

as Groucho said, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.''

Posted by: nats24 | August 19, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I remember the days when they would go out and find your favorite hamburger joint for you.

Posted by: 202character | August 19, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I'd pay to read a Nats blog put together by (alphabetically) 506, BinM, CIL, 506, and Sec3. Seems like that would be a really fair and fun balance of styles.

(I would have included 1a, had she not already indicated her ego deficiency. Add her, though, and you have a dream team.)

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 20, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I don't know how 506 ended up on that list twice, but I guess you could argue either one is alphabetically appropriate, depending on your criteria.

That's a stretch, isn't it?

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 20, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm here, JiM, just been busy. I wish The Post were focusing on improving and increasing their own generated web content rather than going in this direction. But you probably could have guessed that. Also, guys, recall that The Post already did something similar to this 2 seasons ago, when they created the fan blog about the new ballpark. It wasn't very successful as I recall.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | August 20, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey Gang-ahhh, wakin'up after a win..... With the exception (and apologies-don't recall your name) to poster McRich.....every name on this thread is the name of someone I'd nominate to whatever it is the Post is trying to gin up. Plus....man there's a BUNCH of other Gangsters, to boot.Pretty much every regular contributor. As long as it doesn't deprive us of the selections' wit, wisdom and opinions on the regular HERE!
And oh-who WAS that poster from another planet on the game thread yesterday? Not sure, but I doubt the Post will consider them for this role!
Go Nats!!!

Posted by: zendo | August 20, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update on some of the blogs that I thought had cratered. Harper (Oleanders etc) is nofw "Nats Nation." You all have covered the people one thinks of when contemplating who should fill out the form. Peri, BinM, Brian (NFA, who would have no time) and one "Sue Dinem" who covrs minor league ball particulary Potomac.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 20, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Awww, thanks, JiM. Maybe I could work on stretching out my ego a bit in the off-season, see whether I could extend deeper into the game commentary? Nah. That one will have to remain the impossible dream.

Speaking of stretching, your 506 sorting comment isn't really a stretch, imo. Numbers may appear before letters or in alphabetical sequence as though spelled out depending on style. (No charge for that one, btw. ;-))

CiL, I'm in agreement with you re. Post- vs. fan-generated content. If this site were to flip over to the latter, I'd likely be spending even more time reading the Zuckerman and Goessling blogs (not that I don't read both faithfully now).

I also had the same recollection about the earlier Post fan blogs.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 20, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Please don't hire that Nats320 dude. I don't need any more gushing, sappy posts about how Wil Nieves is such a wonderful human being for signing a baseball for him and the African Queen.

Posted by: trezmartin | August 20, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

And JFC, hire Zuckerman already.

Posted by: trezmartin | August 20, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

But seriously, if they want to go on about "DC baseball," then maybe it should include non-Nats baseball, too--Potomac, Frederick, and if there's a blog extant now that deals with all the adult rec leagues here, I don't know of it.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 20, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

First, I'll stick my neck out and say that I applied. One of the things that's very interesting to me is how and why nobody mentioned FederalBaseball.com. At this point, Patrick Reddington over there has earned a press credential for the Nats and has a pretty dedicated following (full admission: I comment there a lot and fanpost a bunch) that can connect to other fans through the SBNation network of sites. Dave of NatsNewsNetwork got a credential. Brian at Natsfarm got one as well, although I have no idea how much time he's been able to spend using it given his other commitments and interests.

To me, there doing this for two reasons, assuming this is not a pure cost cutting measure yet.
1) They see competition on the horizon. SBNation and sport specific content from people who don't have all of the other responsibilities that AK does and aren't journalists first is competition from the bottom.
2) Other bloggers and former reporters can handle the responsiveness side better than AK at the moment. AK hasn't followed the team as long as those guys (I think) and doesn't have time to be as responsive. Goessling clearly reads and responds to a high percentage of his posts. Subscription level Zuckerman has high responsiveness I imagine and he responds to individual users occasionally in his game threads. Patrick at Federal Baseball is heavily into every gamethread and is very aware of most users biases and agendas. Plus AK has to put together a print worthy article that stands up to rigorous journalistic standards pretty close to the end of the game every night.
3) The teams are more willing to extend blogger credentials than they were before. So if WaPo doesn't devote blogger coverage to outlets that is competitive, someone who currently exists will or alternatives will arise, like Zuckerman did this year, that can eat away market share.

I'm going to take them at their word and hope that they are doing this for the right reasons and going to give a two year go at investing in Nats coverage while the Strasburg buzz and Harper buzz are on the way and they're trying to contend.

Otherwise, they'll end up on the outside looking in. Being slow to the party is a large part of the reason why a lot of Caps fan I know go to Japers' Rink on SBNation and head over to WaPo for selected linked stories after that.

Posted by: souldrummer | August 20, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

souldrummer, I'm encouraged you did apply. I was just wondering, given the response here, if they'd get any of my own "first round picks" for this.
(FTR, I didn't. Too lazy, obviously.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 21, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse